“Customer Service, Terrible!!!!”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 30 May 2008

I have stayed here a few times and it was okay but this last time it was especially horrible. The main issue was the people working there were slow and rude.
The bill is hard to understand and the man I talked to to help me was stuck up and thought I just wanted something out of it. I did'nt!!!! I just wanted to make sense of my bill.
Don't stay here if you like customer service, besides the whole themed room thing is over rated. Go to party city and decorate your own room, it's alot cheaper!!!!

Stayed: May 2008
8  Thank kedLa
Write a ReviewReviews (1,702)

Reviewed 23 May 2008

Myself and my husband stayed here as part of our honeymoon trip up the coast between LA and San Francisco in August 2007.

We had not prebooked the accommodation, I was in two minds whether I wanted to stay here as I'd read about it in a travel guide and it was referred to as 'Tacky'. We thought we'd check it out first before deciding if we wanted to stay.

We spotted it as we were travelling up the highway (lets face it, you can hardly miss the place) and I instantly knew I wanted to stay here. There weren't that many rooms available for the night so we decided on the Wilhelm Tell room. It had a rockfall shower which was so much fun, the walls were rock and the decor was, erm, bright red if I remember rightly, it was all very loud and brash but I loved it. The room had a sizeable TV and hairdryer and all of the other facilties you would expect of a 3* hotel, I think it even had an iron and ironing board which was useful.

The main asset this hotel has is the steakhouse, it really is a magnificant place, if you like pink that is... the food and service were both excellent. We mentioned to the waiter we were on our honeymoon and over came a balloon with happy honeymoon on it and they gave us a massive slice of a pink cake for free which was very nice of them. The breakfast was also good value for money and service again was impeccable.

All in all, one of the talking points of our honeymoon we will never forget.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank v1ckyh
Reviewed 2 May 2008

I love the Madonna Inn. I wish everyone who wrote a review for this hotel told exactly what room they were in and what is was like.

We stayed in the Swiss Bell and the Carin rooms. The Swiss Bell was a rock room with a waterfall shower and green decor. It was smaller than most room, but there were only two of us so cozy was fine. I was a little disappointed because I am 5'5" and the water from the waterfall went right over my head. The nice things about this room were that it was on the first floor- no hiking up stairs with bags and it was at a remote end so it was quiet. The negative- small and dark.

The Carin room, on the other hand, was huge and round and light. There were two balconies and fabulous views. It was a bit of a trek up all the stairs, but well worth it. The room was pink- fine with me, just okay for my boyfriend, and there was a gold cherub hanging right over the bed. The only negative was that the ceiling in the bathroom is slanted and a tall person will have to stoop a bit to use the shower. This room was also very quiet because it was at the end and the tippy top.

The pool area is absolutely terrific. It was very chilly- in the 50's, but we swam anyway because the pool was very nicely heated. Getting out was a bit painful, but the hotel provides huge towels and warm cuddly robes. The view from the pool is just breathtaking as the sun sets.

The food in the hotel was excellent and the wait staff friendly and helpful.

The only big problem we had was an extremely rude gentelman working at the reception desk. He really came close to ruining the whole experience- seriously he was that rude- but a chat with the manager made things okay. But I still have to tell you- he actually threw a key card and hit me with it- no joke.

Over all, this hotel is a fun experience. It's not the cleanest or most modern, but it is a one of a kind.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank peggysue930
Reviewed 1 May 2008

The Madonna Inn is Tacky [said previously] or I would prefer to describe it as Kitch but its definately Great Fun!
it isn't 5* but dosn't profess to be. Some areas may be a little tired but that's all part of the charm. The eateries are fine, cakes & gateaux a work of art. The steak restaurant has to be seen to be believed and is ...well ... PINK & over the top, but the steaks are excellent.
My husband, son & I stayed in the Jungle Rock Room which we had requested when we booked some months before. The waterfall showers are novel !!!
Location wise - for us it broke our journey from San Francisco to Santa Barbara & we visited Hearst Castle. San Luis Obispo has a nice atmosphere & we were lucky to be there on a Thursday for the Evening Street Market, which is worth a look.

Stayed: April 2008
3  Thank berverlee
Reviewed 30 April 2008

This place is a hoot! We stayed in the Sky room. It had plenty of room for the two teens, my husband and myself. The rooms were quirky. We had a wonderful little terrace outside the room, overlooking the hills and and the parking lot. The restaurants were great - definately recommend eating at the main restaurant and having a piece of their wonderful cake. We'd do this all over again.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank beachbrain
Reviewed 28 April 2008

I live in the area and our class reunion was at the Inn. I stayed in the Kona Rock room, it had its own fireplace and they provided wood for the fire. the room was spacious and had a full sized couch. I really enjoyed my stay and the new pool is beautiful (spa is not fully complete). The reunion event was fantastic, they served over 200 people and my Filet Mignon was wonderful, I cut it with a butter knife. Impressive considering the meal was prepared in mass. They also have a terriffic bakery with wonderful home baked goods wich I already knew about (Black Forest cakes from the Madonna Inn are common treats for special occasions amongst locals).

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank elvis247
Reviewed 25 April 2008

The Madonna Inn is everything tacky and fun. I had wanted to stay there a long time. One mistake, I booked through expedia using points. Don't do that. We had the romance room, which was large, blue and decorated, but I really wanted a rock room. Apparently those book a year in advance! Next time I will book directly through the hotel. The staff was great, and we had a delicious breakfast. Also, we checked out the pool and the hottub. They are really nice! Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple