“Worth a Jaunt If You've Never Been!”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Roamed the halls of the Madonna Inn (didn't stay there) but it was decorated to the brim and festooned with anything & everything pink if and when possible! Also visited their gift shops on the basement and third floor to find a magnet to fit the Madonna's kitsch along with some gifts for friends. Great place to visit but not sure about the crazy themed rooms I've heard about...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,708)

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I just ate in the restaurant:

Bright pink colored sugar... a men's urinal built like a waterfall... a sandwich called: "The Monte Christo" (look it up!) c'mon. A Disneyland of 'over-the-top'! but the folks working there, couldn't have been nicer, wonderful sense of humor, the portions were enormous and everything was spotlessly clean so, jump on the carousel, let the music take over, the lights flash and feel like a maharajah of mashed-potatos. Take the photo of yourself indulging in a pink frosted cake like only Hollywood could imagine it and then move on. At least you won't be hung over the next day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Fsilverstein
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This was a must do stay over while travelling with our friends from SF to the south! It has such an amazing interior decoration that keeps you wondering and smiling on how wonderfully peculiar it is for us Europeans. Especially the pink restaurant with Christmas decoration, the Saturday night big band, some fifties dressed visitors, our fox and hound suite and the big lovely American cakes they create make up for a memorable visit. Just go there to create a smile on your face as it is an easy stop on the 101 between SF and LA.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Renee77188616
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Odd place, lots of pink. I have stopped in here for food a few times driving around the coast but never stayed over. Its just an odd place you have to experience.

Food is eh, desert is good.

Waterfall in mens bathroom.

Can't comment on the rooms since I have not stayed over here.

Oct 2012

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeterOlson
Reviewed 12 December 2013

After a recent stay at the inn, I arrived home to find a charge on my credit card that I found confusing. I called the main desk at Madonna Inn, explained my problem, and was transferred to the accounting department for resolution. Upon being transferred, a man answered and said hello, without identifying himself or the department. I asked if it was the accounting department, and he said no. I explained that the front desk had told me I was being transferred to the accounting department to resolve a question regarding a credit-card charge. He then acknowledged that it was in fact the accounting department. He said the person I needed to speak with was out at the moment, but he would have them return my call. I explained that I did not want to play telephone tag, and asked to be connected with someone who was available and had the authority to resolve my issue. In a very haughty manner, the man identified himself as a Senior Vice President and assured me that he could assist me. Needless to say, I was dismayed to learn that I was speaking with a high-ranking executive who had answered the phone without identifying himself or the department, denied that I had reached the accounting department, and then projected an arrogance that I found quite distasteful and disrespectful. I said I would like him to clarify the charge for me. He said he did not have authorization to access the computer system required to resolve my issue. I expressed my dismay that a Senior Vice President did not have such authority, but he was silent on that point. He took my name and telephone number, and he assured me that he would handle the followup personally with a call to me that same day. After I asked, he finally identified himself as Gary Tanner. It has now been a week since my conversation with Mr. Tanner, and neither he nor anyone else from Madonna Inn has contacted me. This experience makes me think that the company has lost sight of the hospitality in hospitality industry.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank zbrka
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We booked this a week before Thanksgiving, without much research, so take this review with a pinch of salt in terms of any negative views (most are positive!).

Checkin: The staff were helpful and clear. Because we booked late, we had a different room each night (actually was nice to see different rooms) and how the room change would work was very clear. We also had some other questions later and they were very personable, which makes a huge difference.

Dinner @ Steakhouse: We booked into the Steak restaurant on Thanksgiving night. Two problems. Firstly, the greet staff werent very attentive or massively polite. Secondly, we were seated in an outter circle from the booths, which really changed the experience. Our waiter was very good, but frequently wait staff would stand nearby us (near the back of the restaurant) and chat / discuss things, which made the experience that bit less special. We should probably have asked to move tables, but it was a busy time and we booked in late so it was on us too. The food was delicious, no rush to finish up and plenty of time between courses.

Dinner @ Cafe: We had cake & coffee in the Copper Cafe one day, and late lunch/early dinner in it another. The food is great, the service is with a smile. I couldnt get over the fact the women have to wear these ridiculous heidi costumes, while the men are just in shirts - very out dated. I know it's a kitsch place, but either everyone is subjected to it, or no one.

Bar @ Steakhouse: Great chairs, great mix of clientele if you like people watching, delicious seasonal cocktails.

The Rooms: I liked them. I've stayed in boutique hotels before where the quality was higher. The price isnt well matched to the rooms, but I suppose it is for the resort and experience. My favorite thing was the lovely bathroom, great big shower and fancy toilet (heated seat, surprising at first!).

The Pool: We managed to get the pool & hottub to oursevles for about 40 minutes the day after Thanksgiving, which was lovely. Because it's up, built into the hillside, you can see the stars. The ambience is somewhat ruined by the music half in the background, but the huge hot tub, open sky and location make it a great experience. And it was fine temperature wise being there in November, heated pool.

Location: About a five minute drive away is a Drive In Cinema - this was a really cool experience (as non-americans), conveniently located and enjoyable on a quiet night. It's not far to SLO itself and is right off the 101, so very handy.

Overall Experience: Enjoyable. It's a mix between a resort and a kitsch hotel - enjoyable for a night or two. If I was to go back I'd go all out and get a ridiculous room, for the experience.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, make sure to ask in advance, a lot of the rooms are up two steep hills.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

What a thorough review, thank you very much! I am pleased to hear the front desk staff was personable and welcoming and that you enjoyed the hotel amenities. We appreciate your comments regarding your Thanksgiving dining experience and this has been passed on to the restaurant manager. We would enjoy having you back to try another accommodation!

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

We came in for one night - wished it was longer!! We have two boys and they loved our room!! We got the Travelers suite... Our boys love it!! Dinner at the steak house great servers great steak!! The bed was very comfortable - having Bfast in the cafe now!! Delish!! Already discussing our next trip and hoping to experience different rooms!! Love love love this place!!

Stayed: November 2013