“Old School Glamour”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
San Francisco, California
“Old School Glamour”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Always wanted to stay here, finally checked it off my list!

The restaurants: We had a buffet style meal for a large party we were with in the Venetian room downstairs. Nice enough ambience. Felt like we were at a wedding. Food was fair, Sort of typical of any other generic wedding style buffet. Certainly not worth what we paid for it (55/person not including alcohol). Servers were scarce (could not get a cup of coffee to save my life) and the bartender didn't know how to make basic drinks very well.

The regular restaurant is over the top cool - you've seen the pictures! We didn't eat in there though. There was a band playing bad 80's music in the good sized bar. Large dance floor and people were making use of it. This place is a little bit mazelike with the bar, restaurant, private party areas, and a few shops all in one multi level building.

The coffee shop was good. I might actually give the food 4 stars in there but the service was sort of bad which annoyed me for the price. They were understaffed. Love the crazy decor though. Cost us 60 bucks for a very basic breakfast for two adults and two kids, no drinks other than coffee. There is an Ihop down the street for the cost conscious visitor, just sayin'.

The grounds: the hotel is located in a beautiful area. Right at the foot of some hills. Nice area to walk around. They have horseback riding too and there was anice rink when we were there. There is a pool, we didn't check it out but the woman at the desk said they heat it to 85 degrees F which is nice. I also noticed tennis courts. In general, there are lots of day trips you can make using this place as a base (wine tasting, hiking, shopping, beaches, etc.) so you can either find things to do at the hotel or get in the car and explore a little. The was ample parking and you could probably park a trailer in their overflow lot if you needed to.

The room: Ok, so this is why people stay at this place. You've never been in a hotel room like some of these, seriously! We stayed in the Old Mill room. Two big beds, a water feature (mill thing that runs, but you can switch it off), big room, kid friendly. My kids especially enjoyed the bidet feature on the toilet, you don't see that much in the US! His n hers sinks plus another sink which we used as a wet bar! No view. Glitter wallpaper. Desk made of rock. In general, old, but clean and kept up. Looked like it had probably been redone relatively recently.

It's really hard to compare it to any normal hotel because it's just not a normal hotel. We also looked at a couple of other rooms--all along the same lines as ours: old, clean, lots of personality. Really fastidious types might find it little dated for their taste. I know my mom wouldn't like it, it would seem weird and old to her. But if you find funky stuff cool, you'll like it.

I didn't notice ambient noise from other rooms, seemed quiet. If you go, it's worth the splurge to get one of the cooler rooms-they are all very well documented on their website. Note that if climbing stairs is a problem for you, you need to talk to the hotel as a lot of the rooms appear to be stair access only.

Overall, a fun and unique place to go either as a trip in itself or a stop on a trip up or down the a California coast.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tracyrene

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I know the title is a little narcisistic, but its actually a really fun place to go. The cake is incredible, you have to try it. Also the decorations are what make the place. Well worth a visit for anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 1990Holly
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Roamed the halls of the Madonna Inn (didn't stay there) but it was decorated to the brim and festooned with anything & everything pink if and when possible! Also visited their gift shops on the basement and third floor to find a magnet to fit the Madonna's kitsch along with some gifts for friends. Great place to visit but not sure about the crazy themed rooms I've heard about...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hastings On Hudson, NY
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I just ate in the restaurant:

Bright pink colored sugar... a men's urinal built like a waterfall... a sandwich called: "The Monte Christo" (look it up!) c'mon. A Disneyland of 'over-the-top'! but the folks working there, couldn't have been nicer, wonderful sense of humor, the portions were enormous and everything was spotlessly clean so, jump on the carousel, let the music take over, the lights flash and feel like a maharajah of mashed-potatos. Take the photo of yourself indulging in a pink frosted cake like only Hollywood could imagine it and then move on. At least you won't be hung over the next day.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Fsilverstein
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

This was a must do stay over while travelling with our friends from SF to the south! It has such an amazing interior decoration that keeps you wondering and smiling on how wonderfully peculiar it is for us Europeans. Especially the pink restaurant with Christmas decoration, the Saturday night big band, some fifties dressed visitors, our fox and hound suite and the big lovely American cakes they create make up for a memorable visit. Just go there to create a smile on your face as it is an easy stop on the 101 between SF and LA.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Renee77188616
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Odd place, lots of pink. I have stopped in here for food a few times driving around the coast but never stayed over. Its just an odd place you have to experience.

Food is eh, desert is good.

Waterfall in mens bathroom.

Can't comment on the rooms since I have not stayed over here.

Oct 2012

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeterOlson
Sonoma, California
Reviewed 12 December 2013

After a recent stay at the inn, I arrived home to find a charge on my credit card that I found confusing. I called the main desk at Madonna Inn, explained my problem, and was transferred to the accounting department for resolution. Upon being transferred, a man answered and said hello, without identifying himself or the department. I asked if it was the accounting department, and he said no. I explained that the front desk had told me I was being transferred to the accounting department to resolve a question regarding a credit-card charge. He then acknowledged that it was in fact the accounting department. He said the person I needed to speak with was out at the moment, but he would have them return my call. I explained that I did not want to play telephone tag, and asked to be connected with someone who was available and had the authority to resolve my issue. In a very haughty manner, the man identified himself as a Senior Vice President and assured me that he could assist me. Needless to say, I was dismayed to learn that I was speaking with a high-ranking executive who had answered the phone without identifying himself or the department, denied that I had reached the accounting department, and then projected an arrogance that I found quite distasteful and disrespectful. I said I would like him to clarify the charge for me. He said he did not have authorization to access the computer system required to resolve my issue. I expressed my dismay that a Senior Vice President did not have such authority, but he was silent on that point. He took my name and telephone number, and he assured me that he would handle the followup personally with a call to me that same day. After I asked, he finally identified himself as Gary Tanner. It has now been a week since my conversation with Mr. Tanner, and neither he nor anyone else from Madonna Inn has contacted me. This experience makes me think that the company has lost sight of the hospitality in hospitality industry.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple