“Wonderful Pink and Kitsch Paradise! Highlight of my trip!”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We did a little roadtrip on pacific coast Highway from San Diego to San Francisco so I was very excited to be able to stay here on the way, I have been wanting to go for years, seeing my friends photos and a particular friend raving about the place, how right she was, it is beautiful, very girly and a lot of fun!

We booked through Booking and e-mailed them to ask for a specific room, they e-mailed us back very fast and told us which were the rooms left so we chose Paris Violets (upon my friends recommendation) and we loved it! The decor is just so beautifully kitsch and girly, there is a little space outside of the bathroom for make-up, perfect for us two girls!
Beds and bathrobes were big and comfy.
On the walls you have a Parisian themed wallpaper and frames with lightened up Paris.
The Bathroom has a nice bath tub with very hot water, a delight.

We were there on the 25th of December and had dinner at the Steak house restaurant, because of the busy day we didn't get to eat in the pretty pink booths but the food was really good, took a while to arrive, waitress very friendly and helpful.
We also had breakfast at the café, food was very good, quick service and of course a beautiful decor. We bought a slice of Toffee cake for the road, which was excellent, you have to try them.

The pool is just paradise, with two hot jacuzzis around, the view, the mountains, it was pure bliss.

I will go back one day and stay longer! Thank you for the lovely experience!

Room Tip: We loved our Paris Violet room, if you are undecided choose this one, you will not be dissappinted.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LeilaMauro

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I brought my daughters over to check it out on our way through SLO. My husband and I stayed here before. They have added alot of new things in the last few years. My girls thought the gift shop and restaurant were amazing - I had to literally drag them out of the restaurant. They took tons of photos and bought postcards of their favorite rooms from the gift shop. We also drove up to where the pool and spa center are. The pool is one of those with the edge like the beach where it just gradually gets deeper but there's not a pool lip. Totally fun to come and take pictures and walk through the restaurants/public areas.

When my husband and I stayed here, we stayed in the Matterhorn room. Loved the balcony that overlooked the field where the horses graze. We ate in the cafe for breakfast and in the steakhouse one of the nights. The steakhouse food was good but a bit pricey. We expected that and budgeted accordingly.

Room Tip: Check out their website for pictures of the rooms and the features.
Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank craftywriter
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My boyfriend surprised me with a "mystery ride" and room reservation at the Madonna Inn!!! He booked us the Rock Under room, a comfortable, updated Flinstone room...it was amazing...felt like we were Fred & Wilma...but with heat, coffee, tv, etc.! We had fun, the place was decked out for the holidays, had a wonderful steak dinner...everything was great and would love to come back and bring the children. A fun, relaxing getaway for all!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank janjannh
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Always wanted to stay here, finally checked it off my list!

The restaurants: We had a buffet style meal for a large party we were with in the Venetian room downstairs. Nice enough ambience. Felt like we were at a wedding. Food was fair, Sort of typical of any other generic wedding style buffet. Certainly not worth what we paid for it (55/person not including alcohol). Servers were scarce (could not get a cup of coffee to save my life) and the bartender didn't know how to make basic drinks very well.

The regular restaurant is over the top cool - you've seen the pictures! We didn't eat in there though. There was a band playing bad 80's music in the good sized bar. Large dance floor and people were making use of it. This place is a little bit mazelike with the bar, restaurant, private party areas, and a few shops all in one multi level building.

The coffee shop was good. I might actually give the food 4 stars in there but the service was sort of bad which annoyed me for the price. They were understaffed. Love the crazy decor though. Cost us 60 bucks for a very basic breakfast for two adults and two kids, no drinks other than coffee. There is an Ihop down the street for the cost conscious visitor, just sayin'.

The grounds: the hotel is located in a beautiful area. Right at the foot of some hills. Nice area to walk around. They have horseback riding too and there was anice rink when we were there. There is a pool, we didn't check it out but the woman at the desk said they heat it to 85 degrees F which is nice. I also noticed tennis courts. In general, there are lots of day trips you can make using this place as a base (wine tasting, hiking, shopping, beaches, etc.) so you can either find things to do at the hotel or get in the car and explore a little. The was ample parking and you could probably park a trailer in their overflow lot if you needed to.

The room: Ok, so this is why people stay at this place. You've never been in a hotel room like some of these, seriously! We stayed in the Old Mill room. Two big beds, a water feature (mill thing that runs, but you can switch it off), big room, kid friendly. My kids especially enjoyed the bidet feature on the toilet, you don't see that much in the US! His n hers sinks plus another sink which we used as a wet bar! No view. Glitter wallpaper. Desk made of rock. In general, old, but clean and kept up. Looked like it had probably been redone relatively recently.

It's really hard to compare it to any normal hotel because it's just not a normal hotel. We also looked at a couple of other rooms--all along the same lines as ours: old, clean, lots of personality. Really fastidious types might find it little dated for their taste. I know my mom wouldn't like it, it would seem weird and old to her. But if you find funky stuff cool, you'll like it.

I didn't notice ambient noise from other rooms, seemed quiet. If you go, it's worth the splurge to get one of the cooler rooms-they are all very well documented on their website. Note that if climbing stairs is a problem for you, you need to talk to the hotel as a lot of the rooms appear to be stair access only.

Overall, a fun and unique place to go either as a trip in itself or a stop on a trip up or down the a California coast.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tracyrene
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I know the title is a little narcisistic, but its actually a really fun place to go. The cake is incredible, you have to try it. Also the decorations are what make the place. Well worth a visit for anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 1990Holly
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Roamed the halls of the Madonna Inn (didn't stay there) but it was decorated to the brim and festooned with anything & everything pink if and when possible! Also visited their gift shops on the basement and third floor to find a magnet to fit the Madonna's kitsch along with some gifts for friends. Great place to visit but not sure about the crazy themed rooms I've heard about...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I just ate in the restaurant:

Bright pink colored sugar... a men's urinal built like a waterfall... a sandwich called: "The Monte Christo" (look it up!) c'mon. A Disneyland of 'over-the-top'! but the folks working there, couldn't have been nicer, wonderful sense of humor, the portions were enormous and everything was spotlessly clean so, jump on the carousel, let the music take over, the lights flash and feel like a maharajah of mashed-potatos. Take the photo of yourself indulging in a pink frosted cake like only Hollywood could imagine it and then move on. At least you won't be hung over the next day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business