“Had to take the whole family back!”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed there and had the best time. I could not wait to bring my whole family back. So I called all my kids and booked three great rooms for my family, 2 weeks later. They had a wonderful time. I love this place. If you ever are thinking about going to this fantastic hotel just do it. It is worth every penny. Breakfast is awesome oh those pancakes! to dinner oh man the prime rib and the lobster! Hot bread with real butter drinks from the bar. The band and dancing. The pool warm and fantastic and handicap accessible. Two hot tubs. The Rooms! are over the top wonderful fun and heated toilet seats. Staff is fantastic, Friendly smiles and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Thank you for another great review! We appreciate that you would bring your whole family back to have a wonderful Madonna Inn experience!

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The Madonna Inn could easily be style over substance - but, as well as being one of the quirkiest hotels in the world, it's also great at doing all the things a hotel needs to do. The food and service in the steakhouse and cafe are amazing, it has a lovely spa set on a hilltop with great views of the surrounding area, and the the TV in our room had a full set of HD channels.

Needless to say, there are so many quirky touches: themed rooms (ours was the Mountain Cabin), a heated toilet seat in our bathroom that washed and dried(!), and wonderfully eccentric decor everywhere you go.

You might be surprised to hear that tourists aren't the only customers - we met a couple in the cafe who live locally and often come for lunch because the food's so good.

Room Tip: Every room is different - look at the website and ask for the one you like the look of the most.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This place is totally kitschy, pink, and unique! So if you're into that then you'll love the place! if not, then this is not the place for you. I loved the unique theme of each room and all the crazy decor. It's like staying in a doll house with all the old and kitschy decor. The landscape was beautiful with all the flowers blooming, the pool and hot tub were great, and the restaurant was decent. We stayed in the Swiss Belle room with the rock shower and waterfall and it was very cute and quaint. The only thing I would complain about is we were on the ground floor and could hear every single footstep in the room above us so it did not make for a good night's sleep. Other than that my husband and I enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to write a positive review. We look forward to having you and your husband stay with us again in the future, perhaps to try another room. The rooms in buildings one and two are single story units so you don't have anyone above you. We appreciate your business!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We've lived in the area our whole lives and have been to the inn for drinks several times but have never had a reason to get a room at the Madonna Inn. So needless to stay we were very excited about it, so much so that I called the hotel two days ahead to find confirm our reservation and find out what room we would be in. The woman I spoke to at that time was friendly and very helpful. I explained that I was going to be in the area early and was wondering what the earliest check-in time would be. She offered an early check-in at 12pm. Wonderful! I ended up doing some shopping downtown and decided to head over around 1:45pm. Walking into the registration office I was met by a woman who barley looked up to say hello, I walked up stated I was there to check-in and she hands me the registration forms. The woman who helped me was unfriendly from the get-go. As I'm checking in she bluntly tells me "Well your room won't be ready until 3pm so...." I mentioned that I had called ahead on thursday and was told I could check in early at 12. Immediately this woman rudely announces to the entire lobby "Well you booked through Expedia, so who knows what they told you, there's no way we would have ever told you that here." I calmly explained that I'm local, and was positive that I called and spoke to the hotel directly not expedia. I also don't understand why the source of my booking was an issue. She rudely suggested I can wait in my car or go to the pool...Left with no other option, I agreed and asked if I could leave my cell phone number incase the room happened to be ready earlier. She refused to take it and again said that there was no way it would be ready before 3pm. After I asked for directions she then pulls out a map shows me where the pool is; I asked her where we were in relation to where she was pointing... she huffed and exclaimed "Well that was what I was trying to explain but obviously you're not getting it.." I said never mind i'll find it myself, and left. I was so shocked by how I was treated especially such a "nice" hotel that I called and spoke to a manager, Emily, who was very understanding, and very helpful. She offered to have the room set up now and asked if I could wait at the pool in the meantime and she would call me when it was ready. She then she offered to send up a bottle of Champagne to the room for the inconvenience which I appreciated. When I finally get into my room the gentleman knocks and hands me a warm bottle of Champagne (seriously?!), I don't know about you but I don't remember the last time I drank hot Champagne. I asked the man who brought it up if he knew where the nearest ice machine was, he said he was new and didn't know. (mind you, he didn't offer to find out) I then asked if there was anyone else out in the hallway he could ask, he just said “No that there was no one there” and then left! I've traveled for business and stayed in wonderful hotels and crappy hotels but I've never had such continually bad service where the employees just don't care, at any hotel let alone a hotel in this price range. The room itself was cool, not NICE by any means, but it was cool. Anything positive there is to say about this place is has nothing to do with the people who run it. It's a good thing the Madonna Inn has its kitsch factor to rely on to keep people coming here or they would be out of business for sure.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank HKitty85
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your experience and the service you received here. Thank you for bringing the issue to our attention right away so we could address it with the correct agents and use it as a learning opportunity.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

The idea of this place intrigued me and we found a cool room (all blue with a round, blue, bed) but I can't say I'd ever return. Just a little too kitschy for my taste. And the food in the restaurant was pretty bad and seriously overpriced.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KatieMargaret
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We were in SLO for a wedding so of course, we had to take the kids to stay at the Madonna Inn. We were a party of six so we requested the 3 bedroom, 2 bath, pick and shovel suite. The entire hotel is very dated. It is fun and unusual but the facility has clearly seen better days. The pool area and gardens are lovely and you could walk/hike the property for a lovely afternoon. The pool is heated so even if it's chilly, it feels wonderful and the spas are great too. The restaurant I'll review separately but in short, it was just okay.

For me, the biggest issue was the sound proofing. We could hear the people next door and consequently couldn't sleep. They were a large party and were drinking and laughing long into the wee hours of morning. They weren't overly rowdy, it's just when you have a large number of people laughing at once, it is loud. Especially when the walls aren't well insulated. When I told the front desk about it, they seemed neither surprised nor concerned.

Because the wedding was at 3 pm, I requested a 2:30 pm check out. I told them we'd be dining in the restaurant before and would like to come back to the room to freshen up before the wedding. We were told there would be an additional $100 for the late check out. I have never been charged that much for such a short period of time. When I reminded the front desk manager we had a miserable, sleepless night, she decided to discount the late checkout but still would not do it as a courtesy. I was surprised and disappointed.

For the property itself, I would have rated the Madonna Inn very good. Even though it's older, it's still so fun and unusual, the charm makes up for the age. Hmmm... I wonder if that's how people describe me. But I digress. So the property itself is very good but the dearth of caring and considerate customer service knocked their score down to average.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Joe_Forgette, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us at Madonna Inn and for your feedback. Your comments have been brought to management's attention and we appreciate you staying with us.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed here in late March. Beautiful time of year to be in Central California. The property is awesome, and the inside of this hotel is like if Disneyland and Las Vegas got drunk and had a baby. Photos can't capture the decorating of the rooms or the main building. Floral carpets, pink everything, twinkle lights and a waterfall in the men's room! And the band that plays at night. Every song played like you may have heard on your Dad's record player, from waltz's to Santana. But don't eat dinner here. May have been the worst piece of meat(was supposed to be Tri-tip, which is local in this area)I have ever had. And $82 for lobster? Must be flown in first class. On the plus side, probably one of the nicest pools I've been in. Beautiful location looking over the rolling hills. And everything was very clean. Lets face it, you are going here for the kitsch, and we will be back because of that. It was like being back in time. But we will eat in San Luis Obispo, which has good restraunts and bars, typical for a college town, a couple minutes away.

Room Tip: Our rock room had a deck for the roof. People walking, talking, chairs moving. Actually kind of fit...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family