“Our kids love this place / 5 stars for Hattie and the horseback riding”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I first stayed here in about 1987 - and just returned with my kids for a family trip. It was a great place to celebrate my daughter's 13th birthday. The kids loved every aspect of the place - the pool, chandeliers, crazy bathrooms and showers, and the very large pieces of pink cake. I gotta say - I loved the band and dancing after dinner. Why don't more hotels offer that???
They recently added horseback riding on the property -- and this was terrific. We booked with Hattie the owner and she arranged for my kids to arrive early to groom the mini horses. She was wonderful and the guides were lovely - as were the horses.

Room Tip: Make sure to pick your room! Jungle Rock is great.
1  Thank jennyinnyc

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We left this place with very mixed views. On the plus side, the guest welcome was excellent (the cookies were very tasty!), the decor crazy-but-fun, and the service from the bar staff extremely good. There is plenty to see and do at the Inn, including a spa, a pool, some trails for hiking and riding, and tennis courts. However, we left feeling decidedly under-refreshed. We were put in the Mountain View room, and we really struggled to sleep at all because of the noise coming a) off the nearby Cabrillo Highway, which disturbed us all through the night, and b) the periodic turning-on of the air conditioning unit from the room next door, which we could hear despite closed doors and windows--it was so incredibly loud. It wasn't great to be feeling so tired mid-way through a road trip, and we do not plan to stay here again. We let the guy at reception know all this when we went to check out, but all we got was an 'oh I'm sorry to hear that' - as far as we are aware, it was not noted or escalated.

What is more, when I accidentally spilled water onto the carpet and went to soak up some of the spillage, there was black dirt on the towel that had come off the carpet. I would suggest that the people in charge do a deep-clean of all the carpets, as vacuum-cleaning clearly does not go deep enough into the pile.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing away from the Cabrillo Highway (if they have any)!!
1  Thank Julia S
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Whilst travelling from LA to San Francisco on our honeymoon we decided to book a night at the Madonna Inn what an excellent decision, the hotel is an amazing place and were so welcoming and truly spoilt us during the visit I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area, the rooms are extremely clean and themed which is so much fun also the restaurant was sensational I have never tasted steak cooked so well. This is something me and my husband will never ever forget.

Room Tip: The CAVEMAN sweet is out of this world!!
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This is the most amazing fun hotel. We loved our Rock room. It was incredible. The staff are very friendly. You are given delicious cookies on check in. Make time to stay…use their pink bikes and swim. Horseback ride. Lots to do. The decor of this hotel is incredible and we ate at the steak house. What an experience!!!

Room Tip: Every room is different. There are photos of all the rooms on line. Pick a great room.
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stayed in a rock room at the Madonna Inn as a teen and remembered it fondly. I took my husband and teens back after 35+ years. It was just as magical, well kept and service oriented as I remember it.

We were there for 2 nights between Las Vegas and San Francisco. It was harder to get the rock room so we only had it for 1 of the 2 nights (stayed in Espana and Bridal Falls) and had to change rooms. While NOT ideal, the Madonna Inn made it so easy. They let us know when the 2nd room was ready and offered to help move all of our luggage. The second room was close and it was easy enough to do it ourselves.

The level of detail in the rooms was so great, that the toilet in the Espana room was a bidet. This was my first experience with a bidet and I don't know why American's haven't adopted this type of toilet. The rock room had a waterfall and a shower that was a waterfall. My teens thought it was so cool to shower in the waterfall.

On the way to the pool, there walkway is beautifully landscaped and there are herbs, lavender and sage (I think) that made the air smell so sweet. The pool was lovely, heated to exactly the right temperature and the drinks and lunch was delicious with very attentive service. My husband had a bamboo massage which he enjoyed. We had breakfast at the restaurant, and dinner at the steakhouse where there was a very talented pianist and musician who played through dinner creating a very nice mood.

Also went horseback riding. Horses were super well kept, spotless and gentle, and the trail was sensational. The person leading was a 19 year olf Cal Poly student who was such a pleasure to talk to (he was valedictorian of his Colorado high school, and got accepted to all the college he applied to). He pointed out many things on the trail and even recommended a great spot on the way out of town for lunch and told us not to miss the elephant seals when heading from the Hearst Castle to San Francisco.

You managed to make every guest feel important. Keep up the good work.I will be back (hopefully soon).

Room Tip: Rock rooms rock, but every room is special here.
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed here for one night in August. We got the Holland Dutch room and it was a good experiance for one night. Every room is different and this makes the hotel special. Our room was very spacious and had everything we needed. The hotel also tennis courts that were available for guests as well as a great pool. The resturant is very expensive though. I would recommend this hotel.

1  Thank DCcarnforth
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I guess you could say we fell into the category of people travelling through San Luis Obispo and having read about the Madonna Inn online feeling we have to stay there just to experience the place.
Welcome cookies and water which was a nice gesture and the staff were very friendly upon arrival.
The place was right by the freeway, not as in land as I was expecting. My own fault for not checking the maps and directions properly. Our room was dot and daisy, it was on the front of the hotel with a balcony that overlooked the freeway. The room was clean, a little musty if I'm being picky. Our towels also smelt musty. The walls were very thin, we could hear every word of next doors conversation and every creek of the floorboards and bed above. Pretty poor sleep quality as a result!
The Wifi was hard work....
Yes it's a unique place, yes it's quirky, but in all honesty, I think a little over rated and very dated. I guess that's part of the charm.
We didn't eat in the steakhouse as we felt it was overpriced, but did have burgers in the cafe and the food there was good.
Pool area was nice. Towels for the pool were provided which was handy.
Maybe the place just wasn't for me as I do note the positive reviews....

2  Thank raaaachel