“Paper-thin walls and view of the Highway - where's the fun in that?”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 16 March 2009

People have raved about how quirky this hotel is and that is undeniable but some of the more fundamental elements have not been mentioned and deserve recognition.
The hotel is right on the highway and as a result there is no escaping the noise of traffic at all times of night. This is not just an annoyance when outside but the insulation around the door of our room (Sweepstakes) was totally inadequate and therefore we could hear the noise of cars whizzing past whilst lying in bed.
Our enjoyment of the room and its offbeat decor was further ruined by being able to hear a mobile telephone call taking place next door. The conversation could be heard in both the bathroom and bedroom area and was as crystal clear as if the woman was sat on the end of the bed. This was not just a person talking loudly it was paper-thin walls and I do not think there is an excuse for that.
For the price charged this room was not good value and only gets this rating by virtue of its originality. Drive a bit further and stay somewhere that has normal coloured walls but is at pleasant experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank British_Batman
Write a ReviewReviews (1,696)

Reviewed 22 February 2009

What a great Inn! This has to be one of the most remarkably hotel stays and my son loved it. We stayed in three different rooms and the staff moved all our things while we were out. We stayed in the Austrian suite, Yosemite suite and Barrel of fun and we loved them all. Each room has a different price point but they are all worth it. Alex at the hotel was so accomodating-I made my reservation online and he called me back immediately to confirm my requests. He also picked me up from the train station since we were traveling by Amtrak up the coast for the week. Hotel is located off the 101/Hwy 1 so getting from spot to spot as we did Hearst Castle and Morro Bay was very easy. I cant say enough about the rooms and the staff but also there is free parking and free internet in the lounges-I checked my mail every morning in the cafe which by the way has great food if your not dieting-check out the Madonna pink cake at the bakery.
Not to give TMI but the toilets in the suites are quit an experience-I know that sounds funny but just wait.
Great Steak house which is elaborately decorated and steaks were delicious and service was beyond expectations. The hotel has just added a beautiful pool which is situated in the canyon and is heated during the colder months. Great location to hang out while kids are enjoying the pool but doesn't get crowded. Kids will love this hotel and so will couples because they have room themes that fit everyone. I highly recommend a rock theme room for your first time but the website has pictures of all the rooms and the staff will try and met your requests.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank vannivan
Reviewed 2 February 2009

We recently stayed for two nights at the Madonna Inn and had a great time. It's not your typical, trendy spot, but it is a unique experience and so much FUN! Each night we stayed in a different room with a different "theme" and we can't wait to come back and try another room! The overall experience was wonderful, but the highlight was definitely our experience at the spa and the pool. We had a facial and a massage and it was heavenly-- so relaxing. The pool felt like we were far away at a resort somewhere even though we were only a few minutes from downtown San Luis Obispo, hiking, and beaches. We had an amazing breakfast at the coffee shop-- and the apple strudel was to die for... GET IT! We will definitely return again and again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NatAttack1
Reviewed 30 January 2009

We stayed here for one night in September 2008 as the half way point of our drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

Location:
Not sure - great location for us as a mid-way point, but seemed a little way out of town. This wasn't a problem for us because we were staying for one night and the purpose of our stay was to see the quirky hotel!

Issues:
None

Positives:
The hotel is very quirky and over the top. For some this may be a problem but our friends recommended staying here simply because of this, and we enjoyed it too.

Restaurant:
The restaurant is very over the top, pink leather booths and lots of ornamental decoration, chandeliers etc. Food was very good and fulfilling - don't make the mistake we did and order starters and a main if you also agree to having the bread and salad. My girlfriend had filet mignon - the steak was perfect! Prices were reasonable too.

Room:
We stayed in the "love nest" which had a cupola, large bed, a sofa and armchairs. The rooms was a little tired, but very spacious and comfortable, and quiet.

Spa:
The spa was being opened a few days after our visit, so I can't comment on it.

Other comments:
I'd recommend staying here simply for fun - you can't take it too seriously; some of the rooms have waterfall showers and are designed to look like caves. We plan to go back this summer, this time in a different room. If you do stay for more than one night, it's probably worth seeing if you can have a different room, simply because they're all so different.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank deltadeltauk
Reviewed 25 January 2009

The Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo was a suprise stop that my dad has decided to make on our roap trip of California, the inspiration for this was that he had stayed there the year previous.

It was around 8p.m when we arrived, parked fine and went to the restaurant. After a long day of driving i decided to go to the bathroom, where i was treated too a spectacle of 3 women taking photographs of the men's urinal (It is an art-deco peice)

When i was seated in the over the top, restaurant, where we over payed for a sub-standard meal. We then went to the rooms which were, too hot (A/C was busted).

For the price we paid we could have spent an extra night in the signiture in las vegas, and not killing ourselves to get SLO to stay in the less than repeutable Madonna Inn.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 January 2009

As a young girl I always begged my family to stop by the Madonna Inn but now that I am older I was able to stop by the Madonna Inn for breakfast on my way to Southern California. I am 20 year old Pacific Islander Female and on my way to Newport Beach, CA for my boyfriend's 22nd birthday.
We decided to eat at the Copper Cafe. When you entered it looks exactly like the pictures.

Unfortunately.....
As we waited to be seated after 5 minutes, which at the time was not so busy at all we decided to just be patient and wait. Finally, we were seated by this elderly lady, short wavy hair with glasses. Mind you, the restaurant was a good size and barely full. I was very excited to sit down and eat until I realized where we were seated. I am a very patient person and usually let things go if it really isn't a big deal. But this time it was different. Out of the about the 25 tables in the restaurant in which only about 6 were filled we were seated at the table right next to the kitchen, where the doors slammed as the food was brought in and out. I always tend to keep a positive attitude but never in my life have I felt this way, ever. I don't know what it was, because as we were waiting to be seated we didn't complain and just waited to be seated since that is what the sign said. As much as I don't want to say this nor believe this it felt like it was a matter of my skin color and if not that, it was my age. I told myself as I was holding back my tears to just suck it up and enjoy our time there, after all it was my boyfriends birthday weekend and I wasn't going to let that bring me down even though he felt the same way.

In all honesty, I believe I should have just simply been asked to move tables but I didn't. Other than that, the food was decent and our waiter was kind. I just hope that no one has to experience that ever in their life.

Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chantalnoelle
Reviewed 20 December 2008

Our family (incl 10yo & 13yo boys) spent one night here on our travels. Our son discovered it from a tv travel show & researched it on the internet. The place is like a giant dolls house and whilst trying to describe it might sound a bit kitsch, it was unbelieveable. Every room is individually decorated to a theme - we stayed in the Safari Room. There was plenty of space but no fridge (not an issue for an overnighter). The shower was like a rock waterfall. The grounds were huge and the hotel is set into a rock face on the side of a hill, which makes for a dramatic back drop. The rooms were very clean and quiet. A short walk along a paved path up the hill (only a gentle slope and easily accessed) leads to the pool and spa area. The area overlooks the valley and the freeway, but there is no noise generated by the traffic. A waterfall and seating area made for a peacefull and cool spot to sit and relax, and the pool itself is a good size, with a walk-in "beach" entrance.
There is a cafe, shop and restauarant on site. The food was excellent as was the service. We had dinner in the Gold Rush Steakhouse, which is a must do, whether staying at the Madonna Inn or not. The decore is all pink, but it works, believe it or not! A complimentary appetsier platter is delivered to the table upon seating and there is a good choice of dishes to suit most tastes - steak, chicken, seafood, pizza, vegetarian, etc. There is a bar area as well as a dance floor and stage adjoining the restaurant. We were treated to a (obviously local) group dancing to swing music - it created a fantastic atmosphere both whilst dining and then after the meal simply watching them go through their paces.
Breakfast was at the cafe, and again, a good range to choose from and large servings, along with bottomless coffee. All the staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and helpful, stopping for a chat, but not being obtrusive.
The whole experience was very enjoyable the the kids loved it - deciding it was one of the best places they have stayed at. We highly recommend the Madonna Inn for a stopover if you are travelling through San Luis Obispo - it's an experience you won't forget!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family