“Nicer Than Expected” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
fratspin
“Nicer Than Expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

I was looking forward to staying here for a night as I figured it would be a fun, if tacky, place to stay. I would say that I was actualy very surprised at the overall quality of the hotel. The pool was actually very nice with 2 seperate, private spas at the top of the property. The room was very clean and well kept (we stayed in the Austrian Suite) and had 2 flatscreens with pay-per-view. The only disappointment was the Steakhouse. The food was anything BUT gourmet, but the atmostphere was nice and I would still recommend that you eat there just because its fun, but dont expect much in the way of sophisticated dining.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

i have stayed in the madonna inn many times over a period of 35 years. it has always held a serious spot in my heart for destination hotels, but our last stay convinced me to stay elsewhere, but eat here. our room, the espana, reeked heavily of either mildew or heavily-scented cleanser, but the mixture of the two was very strong and overwhelming. there were stains on the bedspread of both beds, which we automatically removed immediately. we searched everywhere for an internet connection, which we eventually found - a cord hanging from the ceiling near the door of the room, wrapped with a rubber band and a piece of electrical tape to which the words: "internet: $9.95" had been printed. quite surprising, as in order to use it one would have to stand over there holding your laptop - no desk or table nearby, only to get hit with the door whenever anyone used it. the smell of the sulphur springs permeated the bathroom - i guess there's not much one can do about that - but nonetheless, be forewarned.

the coffee shop was quite nice and our breakfast was great - loved the pink sugar, as always. $100 for 2 adults and 2 teenagers is sort of high, would you say? dinner at the steakhouse was wonderful - here the value was seen for the price.

the pool area was recently redone and the kids loved it. the rest of the hotel, as far as rooms go, need surgery SOON! (thin walls, decrepit and peeling furniture, faded drapes and bedspreads long past their prime, old rickety beds, squeaking heard from above all night, freeway noise....i could go on but i will simply pray that the owners take a good hard look and realize this hotel needs some work!)

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sanfrann
Madonna_Management, Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this review, 12 May 2009
We always enjoy reading the candid comments from our guests and take the opportunity to use them as a learning tool. Madonna Inn Resort & Spa recently completed full renovations of rooms including many upgrades such as, new and refurbished furniture, additional can lighting, custom bedspreads and upgraded bathrooms (some with Toto Washlet toilet seats). In addition, the Reservation Office has been renovated and now has a business center. We take great pride in offering superior service in a unique and hospitable environment. We treasure working with our guests to ensure that they are completely satisfied during their stay. If a guest encounters a situation that needs attention, we always recommend that they contact our staff so that we can quickly and efficiently address their concerns. Madonna Inn Resort & Spa offers a variety of amenities to hotel guests including complimentary wireless access in all public areas, state of the art fitness center, European style infinity pool with beach entry, and the 3500 square foot Day Spa.
Long Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2009

First thing I noticed was a smell of midew in the cave man room. I was charged $50 smoking fee for burning incense(to make the room more livable). Both my wife and I are non smokers. I will never stay again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank airmanjack
CA and DE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2009

Stayed here on our way to UCSB. Miserable night due to guest partying. I didn't hear the freeway because my neighbors were so loud. We stayed in the San Francisco room, and someone was having a party next door in the Harvard Square room. They kept standing outside our door and talking loudly at 1:30am. We asked them to quiet down, but they were slow to do so.

When signing in, you have to sign a lengthy list of things that you won't do - such as partying at night. This apparently does not deter people from partying.

I've been wanting to stay here since I first heard about it thirty years ago. I am cured of my desire.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Dorset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

People have raved about how quirky this hotel is and that is undeniable but some of the more fundamental elements have not been mentioned and deserve recognition.
The hotel is right on the highway and as a result there is no escaping the noise of traffic at all times of night. This is not just an annoyance when outside but the insulation around the door of our room (Sweepstakes) was totally inadequate and therefore we could hear the noise of cars whizzing past whilst lying in bed.
Our enjoyment of the room and its offbeat decor was further ruined by being able to hear a mobile telephone call taking place next door. The conversation could be heard in both the bathroom and bedroom area and was as crystal clear as if the woman was sat on the end of the bed. This was not just a person talking loudly it was paper-thin walls and I do not think there is an excuse for that.
For the price charged this room was not good value and only gets this rating by virtue of its originality. Drive a bit further and stay somewhere that has normal coloured walls but is at pleasant experience.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank British_Batman
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2009

What a great Inn! This has to be one of the most remarkably hotel stays and my son loved it. We stayed in three different rooms and the staff moved all our things while we were out. We stayed in the Austrian suite, Yosemite suite and Barrel of fun and we loved them all. Each room has a different price point but they are all worth it. Alex at the hotel was so accomodating-I made my reservation online and he called me back immediately to confirm my requests. He also picked me up from the train station since we were traveling by Amtrak up the coast for the week. Hotel is located off the 101/Hwy 1 so getting from spot to spot as we did Hearst Castle and Morro Bay was very easy. I cant say enough about the rooms and the staff but also there is free parking and free internet in the lounges-I checked my mail every morning in the cafe which by the way has great food if your not dieting-check out the Madonna pink cake at the bakery.
Not to give TMI but the toilets in the suites are quit an experience-I know that sounds funny but just wait.
Great Steak house which is elaborately decorated and steaks were delicious and service was beyond expectations. The hotel has just added a beautiful pool which is situated in the canyon and is heated during the colder months. Great location to hang out while kids are enjoying the pool but doesn't get crowded. Kids will love this hotel and so will couples because they have room themes that fit everyone. I highly recommend a rock theme room for your first time but the website has pictures of all the rooms and the staff will try and met your requests.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank vannivan
San Luis Obispo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2009

We recently stayed for two nights at the Madonna Inn and had a great time. It's not your typical, trendy spot, but it is a unique experience and so much FUN! Each night we stayed in a different room with a different "theme" and we can't wait to come back and try another room! The overall experience was wonderful, but the highlight was definitely our experience at the spa and the pool. We had a facial and a massage and it was heavenly-- so relaxing. The pool felt like we were far away at a resort somewhere even though we were only a few minutes from downtown San Luis Obispo, hiking, and beaches. We had an amazing breakfast at the coffee shop-- and the apple strudel was to die for... GET IT! We will definitely return again and again.

• Liked — Fun, Relaxing, Unique
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple