“Anniversary Celebration”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
California
“Anniversary Celebration”
Reviewed 31 December 2006

My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary in the Kona Rock room, featuring a huge rock fireplace and rock (but not waterfall) bathroom. As a previous reviewer suggested, it's good to go on the Inn website and check out the room photos and descriptions, although digital photos would give more detail. If in doubt about a room's features, call the Inn. I reserved several months in advance but was not able to get a waterfall shower, so plan ahead, because the room features are what makes your stay fun. I would caution those with foot or mobility problems that the floor in our bathroom and shower were also made of rock, making for an uneven, and occasionally, painful surface to walk on barefoot. We didn't dine in the steakhouse, but ate in the Copper Cafe (the coffee shop). You absolutely must check out the bakery selections, especially their cakes, which are covered with monstrous pink or chocolate curls. Although some of the features in the room are dated, you will definitely have more to e-mail home about than if you stayed at a chain motel/hotel. Everyone should visit at least once in their lifetime!

• Liked — Unique accomodation
  • Disliked — Dated features, no pool (yet)
  • Tips/Secrets — Plan ahead for best rooms
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank HikaruDragon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Turkish first
London, England / Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 October 2006

We stayed here for one night and as expected it was an unusual place. Unfortunately we booked our room only 2 weeks beforehand and so all the 'best' rooms were already booked for our Saturday night stay.

We stayed in Merry room ($200p/n +tax) and it was very garish and amusing for the novelty factor. It was a fairly comfy and quiet room but the decor was a little more run down than i would have liked. On the plus side it was a large room, particularly the bathroom.

We got good service from staff, particularly in the restaurant (as it was our anniversary we received a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine, balloons and a desert!). Very good set up with the round booth tables and live music but unfortunately the quality of the food did not reflect the rest of the other excellent qualities about the restaurant. The steak and lobster meal my husband had was pricey and not a very good quality at all and pretty flavourless, and my meal was just ok, but the waitress was great and recommended an excellent bottle of wine from a local vineyard.

The large area outside our room with swinging chairs etc to sit in made up for not having a private balcony which many of them overlooked this communal area anyway.

Cons:
It was hard to get a good shower as the water kept running very hot and cold which is very annoying and not what i would expect from a hotel of this size, but to be fair we didnt tell this to the hotel as we only found this out in the morning before we checked out so didnt bother complaining.
Our map showed a pool opening early 2006, and whilst we didnt have time for a swim anyway I went looking for it just to have a look and couldnt find it, maybe I didnt look hard enough or maybe it wasnt there yet... again I never actually asked the reception desk so am sure they would have been helpful if i had asked about this.
Internet access was not free which I have come to expect in most hotels I have stayed in over the last few years.

I really liked the area and if i went back (which i would like to do at some point as it was a lovely area), I would consider staying here again, but probably only if we could get one of the more unusual rooms, otherwise we would probably save our money and stay somewhere else more ordinary.

• Liked — the novelty factor
  • Disliked — the hot/cold shower
  • Tips/Secrets — make sure you stay in a 'highly themed' room, and not a more average one
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank a_fan_of_holidays
Spain
Reviewed 12 September 2006

A wonderful hotel and a great experience for a night or two.

We stayed for one night on our way down to LA and I had emailed them beforehand and requested a room that would be great for a nine year old and a teenager. However, we never received a reply. We were given the Showboat room which was very flowery but not as exciting as one of the cave rooms or even the car room which was next to ours.

I just asked my son (who's nine) what he though of the Madonna Inn and his reply was that it's very pink and very girly!!

The restaurant looked wonderful although we didn't eat there. We did have breakfast in the cafe though which was excellent. We also had a slice of one of their home made cakes which was a pink, extravagant work of art.

There is some work going on at the moment as there is a swimming pool going in next year.

If I was passing that way again then I would stay there but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

• Liked — The whole thing
  • Disliked — Not receiving a reply to my email
  • Tips/Secrets — Try to find out what room you will be given
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank octopussy
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2006

I couldn't disagree more with the review by my fellow countryman below. The Madonna Inn delivers exactly what you expect and then some...it's over the top and spectacular in an utterly surreal way. I stayed there whilst on a trip to Las Vegas via San Francisco with my wife and two year old son and it was a welcome escape from the identikit Best Western hell you normally expect by the side of a freeway.

So, ignore the whingers. It really is that good. However, if you've got a limited sense of humour or a propensity towards nit picking criticism...stay away. (You'll spoil it for the rest of us!)

• Liked — Funky and different
  • Disliked — not the most spectacular setting
  • Tips/Secrets — The steak wasn't THAT good
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
7 Thank Wolfsbait
Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed 29 August 2006

We stayed in the Jungle Rocks room and loved. Dining room is fabulous as is the men's urinal in the main building. The whole experience thrilled my wife and I and our 8-yr-old. We will be back again!!!!

• Liked — Great rooms - very creative
  • Disliked — NA
  • Tips/Secrets — Look at the rooms before you book - find pix on internet
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank rr1954
London, UK
Reviewed 29 August 2006

May be worth visiting once. The rooms are OK. Not as exciting or as much fun as one might expect. Just a little bad taste run riot. No real sense of humour applied and not terribly interesting. The restaurant is the most interesting part of the hotel. It is a pink spectacle. The food is not bad, though apart from the steak, most of the rest was poor. Terrible salads served with forks, all chilled straight from a very cold fridge. Rooms are are disappointing. Beds are basic, pillow(s) flat as a pancake. Staff were very nice and straightforward, but very conservative for such a wayward place. Overall, the hotel is a good idea and muct be a money spinner. However, the owners are confused and don't seem to know the difference between tongue in cheek kitch and half hearted bad taste.

Stayed August 2006
6 Thank TomDulwich
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 16 August 2006

My family and I stayed at the Madonna Inn on our way up the coast of California (it was right on the drive from L.A. to San Fransisco). We stayed in the room entitled "Imperial Family" with a French Country theme. The room costs seem pricey, but upon arrival we discovered that it is worth every penny, because most rooms are semi-suites (with two rooms, but no door in-between the too) The Steak House is fantastic, but if you have young children I would try dining at the cafe right next door, which has a children's menu and is more casual. Even if you can't stay at the Inn, try stopping in for a meal, which are all fantastic. One slight problem for me (but no one else in my famly noticed) was the sounds of the road at night. It is right off the Freeway, but the noise is just minor. If you are in the area, no matter the occasion, the Madonna Inn is a great choice for a hotel.

• Liked — The Room Themes (Each room has a different theme)
  • Disliked — Not having a kids menu in steak house
  • Tips/Secrets — Reserve directly from the site, you get more options