“Holy Grail of Kitch--but high quality as well”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Holy Grail of Kitch--but high quality as well”
Reviewed 5 June 2010

We stayed one night in the Hideaway room. Cute room, but I wish I would have been able to pick one of the "crazier" rooms (which were sold out). The hideaway room is down a little stone path, so it does seem hidden away. The walls are all rock, and this room has a "roses" theme, with gilded furniture, red carpet, red velvet bedspread, fancy velvet settee, rose chandeliers and rose themed accessories. Not crazy, but the gold and red were out of the ordinary. If I was making a recommendation, I'd say pay more for one of the weirder units. The hotel is kitchy and funky, while also being rather over the top. Our room was indeed a bit musty (as other reviews have mentioned), but it was clean. I wouldn't say that the rooms are the best value ever, but you don't come here for the value, you come for the weird and the wonderful.

The steakhouse is fantastic, we really enjoyed our dinner, and the atmosphere is this amazing mix of romantic, fancy, and kitchy. Pink leather, gold cupids, great food, the whole bit. If you're coming into town and don't want to stay at the hotel, at least have dinner at the steakhouse. Pink champagne cake was awesome as well.

The hotel pool was awesome; zero-edge beach entrance pool that was heated enough for us to swim at 10pm in early June. Two nice jacuzzi's as well. Great view from the pool area. The waterfall in the pool area is pretty neat.

We are definately planning a return trip to The Madonna. This place is a unique treasure that you will always remember.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Turkish first
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2010

A couple of years ago i saw the Madonna Inn on a UK TV travel program. I immediately looked it up on the internet and could not believe my eyes. I wanted to stay there. My wife and i decided that our holiday this year would be 18 days driving around California. The Madonna Inn was going to be one of the highlights of the trip. Booking was easy and they were great helping us choose the two rooms we had. They even moved all our luggage to the next room for us while we were in the pool.

Our first night we had the Kona Rock room which was just fantastic. its like sleeping in a cave with carpets. The bathroom is fantastic with two sinks and a shower all made from, you guessed it, rock! the electric wash/dry toilet was cool too. The next night we had the Carin room which is basically, PINK. It has two balcony's with great views and we had another perfect nights sleep. Both rooms were very clean.

There is a lovely town about half a mile away with some great shops and that evening they had a huge farmers market with some good food on offer. i had ribs and some cherry's. Then we went to the Sunset drive in movie which is a couple of minutes away. Another first for us.

The restaurants at the Madonna inn are great. The food was very good as was the service. The pool, hot tubs and spa area was very enjoyable and my wife loved her one hour massage.

There are a few negative reviews on here which are not the hotels fault. some people are just inconsiderate towards others. It doesn't matter where you are, those sorts of people will always ruin someone's day.

San Mateo, California
Reviewed 17 May 2010

My wife and I stayed here on May 15th in the Wilhem Tell room. We were very exited to stay here as we have seen it on TV and thought it would be a unique experience for the weekend. We arrived to the hotel around 2:30 and were told that our room would not be ready until 3:30. They gave us a card key to use the pool area until our room was ready. The pool area was very nice. There was a bar that served drinks (without prices) and bathrooms were we could change. We hung out at the pool area until our room was ready. The room we stayed in was really unusual. It had a William Tell theme with red everywhere and an apple theme on the bed and stained glass windows. It definitely was not modern and besides the wall mounted flat screen TV and ceiling mounted heater/ac unit, I doubt that anything has changed in this room for 50 years. The best part of the room was by far the bathroom shower. It was a huge rock shower where the water cascaded down from the rocks like a waterfall. It was truly amazing. We had a reservation in the restaurant....wow, I have never seen so much pink in my life! The food was very good, bit overpriced though and mostly steak entrees.
OK, now the bad. You can hear absolutely EVERYTHING! Every single word/SOUND that comes from rooms above, next door, 2-3 doors down, outside, everywhere! Not only can you hear it, but I think the room actually amplifies it! So bottom line, unless you are a SUPER SOUND sleeper, I would not recommend staying here.

tempe, az
Reviewed 11 May 2010

If you are looking for a basic hotel this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a truly unique and funky experience then Madonna Inn is the place!

I love odd hotels so after seeing the Madonna Inn on TV I knew I had to visit this place someday. So when talk of doing a road trip up Hwy. 1 came up this was the first place I knew I wanted to stay.

Each room is completely different and are organized for reservations by category. After looking at all the pics on the website I chose a room with a rock waterfall shower.

We arrived at Madonna Inn in the afternoon and were surprised at how spread out it was. There are several buildings on the property, each one full of things to look at. We checked in and got the Misty Rock room. It lived up to our expectations. Dark, cavernous, funky and tacky are just a few of the words I would use to describe the room. It was oddly fantastic. We were there during the week and it was not very busy so we wandered around peeking in the windows of the other rooms - each one as funky as the next.

We hit the explosion of pink that is the main dining room for dinner. The food was decent, not the best steak I've ever had, but not bad. The service was great and of course you can't top the atmosphere. It's not just over the top, it's in another dimension.

That evening we relaxed in the hot tub. It was too cold for the pool. There are two hot tubs in the pool area and both are pretty big. The pool area was very clean and has a cool waterfall. We even saw a goat on the mountain. At least we think it was a goat!

Maybe it was because of the rock walls in our room (yup, real rocks) we didn't hear a peep. It really was like sleeping in a cave. The bed did have the world's heaviest comforter on it but the bed itself was comfortable. And the rock waterfall shower was a real trip.

You will not find many places like this around which makes it all the more special. It's a place to really have to see it believe and I'm so glad I did and have the crazy pictures to prove it!

1 Thank trippin76
Gridley, California
Reviewed 3 May 2010

My husband and I were so looking forward to a romantic evening alone and were extremely disappointed with our experience. The hotel is old and you can hear everything going on in the rooms around you. We might as well have stayed in a frat house for the amount of partying that was going on in this place. After complaining to management with no cease in the amount of noise we finally packed up our bags at 12:15 in the morning and drove the 5 hours home. They did refund our money which was great. I would not recommend this as a place to go if you are looking for a quiet romantic trip!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ENTRAVEL
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2010

My husband and i stayed for one night on our way from LA to San Francisco and absolutely fell in love with this place. We got a good price internet special via their website, so if you do a bit of hunting you can find good deals.

We stayed in the Rock Bottom room which was as the name suggests all rocks (and not those horrible fake rocks like we thought they'd be, the real deal). The room was really large with a little sitting area, seperate bathroom then another seperate area for the HUGE bed. It was like stepping in to a glammed up Flintstones house. The bathroom was just amazing with the rock shower where you have the option of using a normal shower head or the waterfall effect or both. There were also fairy lights everywhere and beautiful stained glass windows.

As soon as we arrived we headed up to the pool area for a swim and a soak in the hot tub...beautiful area! Didn't have a chance to tgo to the spa but it looked wonderful. We got a really nice suprise when we got back to the room..there was a bottle of Madonna Inn bubbly and a pink balloon which the staff had left for our anniversary! Wow you don't get that sort of treatment much these days!

We headed to the Gold Rush Steakhouse for dinner which again was out of this world. So tacky and pink, yet so awesome! The service was wonderful, the meals were huge with great tender steak and after dinner we were given a free slice of their champagne cake because it was our anniversary.

It's so refreshing to stay somewhere with a bit of soul...loved it!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KMJ99
San Diego
Reviewed 19 April 2010

My husband, 5 year old daughter and I stayed one night at the Madonna Inn. We booked the Carin Room, which was charming, spacious, and very private, given that it is located at the very end of the building and is the only room on the 4th floor. We loved the 2 balconies, round layout of the room, fun spiral staircase going up to the room, complimentary champagne for our anniversary and the free parking. Check-in was a breeze and we immediately went down to the pool for a swim. Gorgeous views and very nice families hanging out by the pool. For dinner, we conveniently ate at their steakhouse on site. That evening, they had a fine band playing Frank Sinatra music; it was a fantastic setting since our daughter got a kick out of watching us dance on the dance floor. We visited all the shops and made a stop in the men's restroom downstairs, too, for fun. Everything was glorious, and the evening felt magical... however in the middle of the night, while we were deep asleep, the phone rang and woke us up at 5:00am!! The office was calling to tell us that somebody complained of TV noise coming from our side of the building. We were sound asleep with no TV nor noise coming from us. I was so appalled that they didn't even check or investigate the alleged noise before calling and waking us. So annoying! I told them upon check-out, how shocked I was about that, but the employee simply apologized and didn't do anything about it. The staff seemed a bit inexperienced with customer service when it comes to practical matters like not waking up guests at 5am! If it weren't for that incident, I would have given this 5 stars.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family