“Fun place to stay”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
playa del rey califormia
“Fun place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2007

We booked the freeway room for one night in February. I booked over the phone and the reservationist knocked $50 off our allready discounted room (discounted because of the season) because of a weekday special that is not advertised on line.

The room was big, with a nice flat screen. There are boulders in this room, but it is not as themish or decorated as other rooms. We chose it because it had a balcony and a firetub and a rock shower - but not a waterfall shower. The bed was very comfortable. The pink robes was a nice touch.

Some cons:
The room is pretty worn, and there were holes in the rock and in the wall. Also, once you start the log in the fireplace, you are not supposed to put it out. And they advise that you open the door or a window to let the smoke go out. It was cold that night, and the fire was not out by 3 AM. I kept on waking up because I did not like the idea of something burning while we slept. Also, they stop serving drinks early and the bar shuts down early. The entertainment shut down early too.

The steakhouse had good food. Service was so so. I am glad I stayed here to have the experinece, but I think we will stay somewhere else on our next trip up the coast.

• Liked — Big room, clean
  • Disliked — Fireplace, entertainment shutting down early
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank joburg_girl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2007

I grew up visiting this place with my mum and sister, we would always stay in the pony room but this time, I went for my anniversary with my boyfriend so we booked the '"Love Nest" #183. Ahh, it was such an adorable hotel room and totally finished from head to toe. Also, the room was huge for being under $200. By the way, I got this rate by booking on madonnainn.com...there will be a spot on the site for 'internet special' which saves you $50 off.

If you look very closely you will see some age spots (i.e. peeling wallpaper) on baseboards or the fact that the couch in the room was really lumpy and more for decoration, but the attention to detail in the room and around the hotel more than made up for it. I bought a cute logo sweatshirt and mug in the giftshop (I love pink and gold) and then, we went to dinner at the spectacularly gaudy-beatiful steak house. I had the very best rib-eye steak ever that night. It was super tender and had perfect seasoning. Boyfriend is a chef so he was impressed because he says rib-eye is hard to get right (i.e. cooking off just the right amount of fat because it is a very marbly cut).

Furthermore, we told the hostess it was our anniversary and they were so nice about it. My poor boyfriend was cringing because he hates getting attention at restaurants, but they were so sweet, everyone including the bus boy, waiter, hostess and the waitress who brought the A-1 wished us a happy anniversary and we even got a balloon! Then, after we were super stuffed they brought us a giant chunk of Black Forest Cake as yet another happy anniversary gesture. I was a bit tipsy at the end so I forgot to tip more than 15% for all this but I vowed to at least give them a great review on here. The service was really great and for all the side dishes and the huge beautiful steak it was also a great price. (About $100 for all that plus I had some excellent house wine). Our stay was really relaxing and fun, and the place was quiet and serene despite being right off the freeway. I love it here and I can't wait to come back. Be sure to take a picture of the men's urinal downstairs from the lobby!

• Liked — The accurate preservation of a truly unique historical place...ye it never felt old/creepy. Its well preserved
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jasmin193
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2007

By now everybody knows about the legendary and unique inn but the most coveted and famous room in the inn is the Caveman Room. I saw it on television a few years back and being from back east I never thought I would get to stay there. But as luck would have it, years later my girlfriend and I made the trip to California and drove up the coast so I finally had my dream come true.

Needless to say, it was the most unique room I ever stayed in. And make no mistake about it, it is 100% rock in there. Cold, hard rock everywhere you see. For that reason it is not a safe place for small children, older adults, or klutzy people.
Practical no? Fun? Heck yes. At least for one night. After that, the thrill may wear off. There is an AC/heater in the room and a flat screen TV, plus a couch,. Behind the TV there is also a waterfall that goes down the rock wall. I kid you not.

But the craziest is the bathroom. There is your normal toilet, but right across for that is a drain in the corner of the rocks that is a urinal. It may be a little too close to the toilet to be honest with you. It also has a sensor that automatically flushes when you are done. There is also a sink that is a hole in the rocks and the water comes down like a waterfall from the ceiling. Cool yes, but hard to brush your teeth or shave in a cave.
T
he best part for me was the shower, also completely made of rock and more like another little cave. You can have the water come out normally from a normal shower head or you can have a waterfall shower. Shower may not be the right word because you are absolutely pummeled with water so hard that you can't even keep your eyes open. The water then splashes and pools all around the bathroom. Again, not practical but fun for one night.

The whole place was fun and unique, from the caveman room, to the excellent all pink steak house, to the men's bathroom downstairs where there is a big communal urinal that flushes automatically with another waterfall. Be careful in there men as women tourists constantly sneak in to take photos of the famous urinal, believe it or not.

• Liked — Uniqueness
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank doke
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2007

My husband and I have recently returned from a 12 day break travelling around California. We stayed at the Madonna Inn for one night 5/5/2007 to break up our journey from Yosemite to Anaheim.

We chose the Madonna Inn after seeing it here on Trip Advisor. We thought about opting for a chain hotel/motel since it was just a stopover but after seeing the wonderful pictures we HAD to go with the Madonna - and we are sooo glad we did!

It's seems that some people view this as a joke property - I think that is both misleading and unfair to the extraordinary efforts the owners/staff have made. I've also read the word "tacky" - shame on you, people! This is a charming hotel in a beautiful setting, which the owners have stamped thier individuality all over. If you don't want to sleep in a gloriously pink room or sit on a baclony watching horses graze in the sunshine or enjoy the most fantastic Monte Cristo sandwich in a friendly, cosy Cafe - go with an Econo Lodge. You'll save a few dollars but miss a wonderful experience...

We stayed in Tall and Short paying $196 and considered it well worth it. We were on the third floor and had a lovely view from our balcony. The furnishings are older but that's part of the charm. They're certainly not shoddy, everything is clean and nicely presented, often personalised for the Madonna Inn. There were loads of towels, nice bath products & even an adorable sewing kit. The mechanics of the shower took us a while to fathom - but that made us laugh not curse. This particular room was very spacious & we even had a flatscreen TV, which was a nice surprise. Ice and vending machines were also available on the ground level.

We ate both our evening meal and breakfast in the Copper Cafe. The food was delicious - my husband loved his Rib Eye Steak sandwich. The evening hostess was especially attentive, some of the wait service were just OK not exceptional while others were excellent - maybe a mark of a generally young staff?

This is clearly the place that local residents choose for celebrations; the Steakhouse was packed with people of all ages and there were lots of younger teens enjoying the stunning cakes with friends & family in the Copper Cafe. I always think that's an indicator of a great hotel/restaurant. We had a good look around the property, taking in the famous Gold Rush Steakhouse, Silver Bar, paddock and gift shops - we consider the whole place to share a gentle charm.

We will definitely make a point of returning - maybe we'll have a waterfall shower next time - or a fireplace - or a cupola room...... And it was only meant to be a stopover!

• Liked — The individuality
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Missseuss
Kihei, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2007

We stayed in the Rocky Mountain Room for 1 night and found it to be VERY comfortable and clean. The rocking chairs are a nice touch, better than the leather chairs shown on the website. The waterfall shower is COOL!!! Enjoyed a nice dinner in the Steakhouse. Would recommend the Madonna Inn and look forward to staying again one day.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank tulipgirl05
new haven, ct
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2007

We stayed at the Madonna due to the great reviews on trip advisor. We found this hotel to be uncomfortable and an overpriced tourist trap. Our room was in the "cave" part of the hotel. Although it was spacious, the curtains were dusty and torn. The carpet needed to be cleaned and the woodwork needed to be repainted. We had a plastic tree branch above our bed and the fake leaves actually fell off while we were sleeping!! This hotel was such a disappointment!

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
11 Thank mommart
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2007

We stayed here for one night. It was a great experience. This place is so funky! Funky in a good way! We stayed in the Mountain Cabin Room. It was great, from the bed frame that looked like branches to the beautiful mural on the wall to the pine scent in the room to the real granite walls. The place was immaculate! I was a little worried with all of the funky decorations that it might just be old and not very clean, but I have never been in a cleaner hotel room. They keep it in great condition. Was truly a great experience. The restaurant is a bit expensive, but still fun.
Overall, if you're in the area and looking for a cool place to stay, this is the place.

• Liked — Funky experience
  • Disliked — expensive
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple