“Crimson, comfort and Coney Island”
Review of Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 22 December 2010

My boyfriend and I were traveling up the PCH from LA on a four -day trip, and the Madonna Inn was our first stop. After seeing the hotel on The Bachelor, we were pretty excited to check it out for ourselves.

Now we first arrived in the pouring rain and went to registration. The two attendants were busy on the phone and I had to wait for them to finish their conversations before even acknowledging me. That's how I knew I wasn't in LA anymore.

However, where I now was resembled a toned-down version of Disney Land meets Coney Island. it's not a posh, chic hotel experience, so if that is what you are expecting, you will be disappointed. Instead, it's a place with humor, frivolity and flair--very unusual in this day of ultra- modern, sleek design with which comparable California hotels seem obsessed.

Our room, the mini maxi, was tasteful, although outrageously pink. The bathroom had a toilet with a bidet function and heated seat. That was definitely an odd, but nice touch. And that toilet seat experience may sum up the Madonna Inn-- odd but with a nice touch.

We had dinner at the Gold Rush Steak house. Our steak was cooked over a wood-burning grill, which gave it a slightly smoked, bacony taste. Plated with a baked potato, it was delicious and comforting, although the snap peas were over cooked. In the beginning, the service was slow, but picked up later on during the meal.

The same could be said of the Cooper Cafe where I had a super-tasty breakfast of corned beef hash. The cafe is happy and reminiscent of either a time long gone, or a time that never was. I was given a huge plate, and I ate everything, to my surprise and that of my date. Needless to say it held me until our 8:45pm dinner reservation at Post Ranch Inn.

What the staff lacked in service they made up for in genuine enthusiasm. While I'm in no rush to go back, until I have kids who might get a kick out of the whole scene, it was good for a one night stand.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Madonna_Management, Front Office Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2011

Thank you for your candid review of your experience at Madonna Inn Resort & Spa. While we take pride in providing outstanding service in a unique environment there is always room for improvement. Your comments will be used as great learning tool for all departments. We look forward to seeing you again in the future creating lasting memories.

Reviewed 18 December 2010

As you're driving up, the Madonna Inn signs are bright and hard to miss. Their bright pink decor makes this place seem like it would be great fun and we did indeed enjoy our stay. Staff at reception, restaurants and shops were mostly friendly and helpful. Each room is different in layout and decor, so choose wisely. Our room was spacious and fun, though the bedspreads did show signs of wear and the ice box was sticky. Bathrooms were spotless though and linens were bright and clean. Be sure to try the champagne cake in their signature pink. I would definitely return to stay in some of the other rooms.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 14 December 2010

I finally stayed in Madonna Inn.Amazing place.Good resutrants.Friendly staff.Very nice ambience.
I would like to thank the staff for the little nice decoration they made for our anniversary.
Breakfast at copper cafe was delicious.The staff here were very friendly.Even my 1 yr old enjoyed his breakfast.
I was in room ROMANCE.The whole theme of the room was great.
Thanks once again for everyone who wrote a review on this hotel.It was really helpful.
Can't wait to visit this place again.

Reviewed 4 December 2010

We had two rooms and before arrival had requested that refrigeraters be put in each room. I made the request when we reserved the rooms and was told yes, we can do, no problem. I called a few days before arrival and reminded them of my request for refrigerates and again I was assured that they would be there. The day of arrival, I called and again and confirmed the refrigeraters.
When we arrived. NO refrigeraters. I called the desk and was told they would be right there. A while later a person arrived with ONE and was told " I was lucky to get that one"....

In a group of 12, we went to the restauant for brunch and the service was slow and terrible there. The food was not good either. Some of it was cold...and it took an hour for us to get served.

I mailed a letter to the Manager and to Mrs. Madonna about the poor service and these problems and I never heard back from either one. I think they just don't care about the service at the Madonna Inn. I would never recommend anyone going there for anything.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
7  Thank unhappyguest4sure
Reviewed 1 December 2010

We stayed in the caveman room and it was actually detached from the rest of the hotel. It was a dream come true and there were even real clubs on the wall that we pretended to beat each other with. Two pink bathrobes and nice toiletries were there too. Bar was brightly lit but breakfast at the diner was great too.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daniella13
Reviewed 3 November 2010

we just had to stay here, so we did. The Madonna inn is a compulsory place to visit when driving pacific coast highway. we really enjoyed the stay. The pool area is great, and the rooms are... well.. like nothing else :-).

we highly recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2010

This was my second visit to the Madonna Inn, and both times I've added San Luis Obispo to my itinerary purely so that I could stay at the hotel. Yes, it's expensive, but it's worth it. It's quirky, kitsch, fun, and unmissable. If you just want a cheap to mid-price place to stay in SLO, then I guess this isn't for you, but if you're looking for a cool experience, this is it. I stayed in one of the rock rooms this time, and it was amazing. Both of the rooms I've been in have been huge. Dining at the hotel is expensive, but there's a Denny's right next door and plenty of restaurants in SLO, so splash out on the room if you can and save money on the food. All credit to the Madonna Inn for being the second hotel on my trip to provide a free bottle of water in the room.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple