“Nice and clean”

Motel 6 San Luis Obispo South
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 1 September 2014

This room was very nice and it seemed like it was just renovated. The room was also very clean, it was a bit small in comparison to others but that didn't bother at all. The service was very nice too.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 August 2014

... do NOT stay here unless you want left-behind items gone for good. My son is dyslexic and uses his Kindle to listen to audio books while he reads along. This Kindle was left in a bed at Motel 6, and I called as soon as I realized it was gone. Mariella answered the phone in a very chipper voice, and informed me I hadn't stayed at that Motel 6... it must be another Motel 6. While she *continued* to talk over me, I TRIED to tell her "I'm looking at the confirmation email.. I have the confirmation number if it makes it easier to find my reservation...etc" She FINALLY stopped talking (first step to any good customer service, hello?) and said... "oh yes, here you are". After a 10 second explanation telling me.. "We have no tablets or Kindles turned in from housekeeping staff", I asked her to perhaps, oh I don't know, ASK the staff if tge had found anything. To which she agreed. After a 4 second pause, I asked "would you LIKE my number so you can contact me?" Clearly the staff is USED to things being stolen and have no hope in ever finding a guest's left-behind items. She never called back, so I called again ad who answers.. "This is Mariella ...." perky and condescending per usual. Never apologized for not calling back, and informed me again that the Kindle wasn't there.. bye bye (click).. there was much more to the conversatio, but all of it extremely disappointing

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed in Motel 6 San Luis Obispo-South for 1 night. It was a good experience, the rooms were small but definitely nice more like an ikea show room type of design. There was hardwood floor and the bathroom did not have a mirror inside, the mirror and vanity is located outside of the actual restroom which for me was kind of a disappointment, other than that I would recommend especially since most hotels around the area are a little over priced. The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful and the room was very very clean!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jen S
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were looking for a convenient, inexpensive stop halfway between San Diego and the Bay Area along CA-101. A friend recommended this, and called it "spartan". It is fairly spartan - bright orange & yellow decor reminiscent of a Scandinavian hostel, no hairdryer or shampoo provided - but it was very clean, quiet, air-conditioned, and only $72 when we booked (early August, with one day's notice). The mattresses were comfortable, the bedding was light and airy, and we had a queen bed each, so we got an excellent night's sleep. The front desk was friendly. It was all that I expected from a Motel 6, and we'll definitely be returning here on our trips up & down the 101.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I and my son stayed at Motel 6 South in San Luis Obispo for two nights. Hotels in San Luis Obispo area are often expensive. We decided to give Motel 6 a try based on other reviewers' positive comments. Of course, for the price, this is no Embassy Suites. But Embassy Suites charges more than double the price. The Motel is in the same area with Marriott Courtyard, Hampton Inns. It is inexpensive but clean and nice. There's even a swimming pool that looks clean. The motel has a small but nice office. The people are nice. The area felt quiet and safe. There is a good shopping center about a mile from the Motel with quite a few eateries and stores. The rooms are clean and simply furnished with furniture similar to Ikea.

Wifi is not free but relatively inexpensive. 2.99/ (ok) and 4.99 (faster) for 24 hours. The 2.99 was awful in the evening because there are too many users. However, when I complained to the front desk, they graciously offered to refund me the money. During the day, it works fine. The motel management team will delight customer by observing the wifi bandwidth and perhaps give people a free upgrade if the bandwidth for 2.99 plan is saturated while the 4.99 plan is free.

There's a Diner's restaurant next door. It is very convenient but you can do better within a couple of miles near Los Osos River and Madonna Road.

If you don't want to pay for the bells and whistles that you don't use, and just a clean and relatively safe place to rest, Motel 6 South in San Luis Obispo will fit the bill. Try it and you may like it (and the price).

2  Thank K K
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed in this Motel 6 for almost 2 weeks, after road tripping for some weeks. Great place to stay while you're exploring the neighboring cities and villages. Very nice trails and running courses nearby. The motel itself is remodeled, the front desk staff is very helpful, but the cleaning ladies are the best. The place is spotless, they really work hard! Kudos!
I would have given the place an 'excellent' rating, but, as with many USA motels, walls are paper thin, there was a lot of noise from the swimming pool and the 'no noise after 22.00 hrs' was often disregarded. Another thing - rated doubled on friday and saturday!

Room Tip: If you don't like noise, don't book a room on the poolside. On the other hand, the poolside...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I was nervous about staying at a Motel 6. But I was impressed with the details of the property from the moment we pulled into the area.
The hotel is tucked in the valley of beautiful SLO foothills. It's located near the end of a meandering road filled with trees and flowers. Behind the pretty landscaping, on either side of the road are more hotels that look just as nice as the Motel 6.
The clerk was attentive and helpful.
The room was on the 2nd floor, away from the stairs. We left our front door open to let in some fresh air for a little while (there was a faint smell of smoke left over from another guest, and there was an ashtray that said "Please leave your keys in here" in our non-smoking room). And maybe only 1 family walked by our room. It was quiet on a Thursday evening.
The room looked remodeled. Everything looked new! The floors were a beautiful wood laminate. The TV looked like a giant iPad mounted to the wall... very modern. The towels peeked out of a bright yellow rack with holes in it... very stylish. The bed had a contemporary design that allowed my son to lay on top of or under the bed to play on his iPod.
There were no shampoo or conditioner bottles, but I had read that ahead of time, and was prepared.
Also a reviewer had written that they thought the water wasn't for consumption. We brushed our teeth with the water, and the clerks drink the tap water. And we're all fine. I think that reviewer saw the signs along the landscaping that said they use recycled water for irrigation, and worried.
The AC had a hum. But it wasn't too loud. There was no microwave nor refrigerator, but we only stayed one night. The room was small, but the 4 of us fit just right
For $81, I was pleased with our stay. It was modern, clean, and fresh. We slept well. I would definitely stay here again, if the price continues to be reasonable.

Stayed: July 2014