“Very Helpful”
Review of Sands Inn & Suites

Sands Inn & Suites
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 11 March 2008

The management was more than accommodating when we needed help with our arrangements. They were very friendly and the facilities were very nice with a great view and nice pool area. It was easy to find with a more than courteous staff.

Stayed: March 2008

Reviewed 23 February 2008

A perfect place to stay for a visit to SLO the central coast, and the college! Quick access to the highway, a bus stop to Thursday market, great places to eat nearby. Our room was large, clean, and fully equipped. The waffles, and additional breakfast offerings, were a great way to start the day. Add to this the friendly staff, from the front desk to the housekeepers, and we're already looking forward to our next stay at the Sands.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2007

The Sands in SLO is little older but nice looking property. It is close to 101 and a main arterial so you get the noise that comes with that. The staff was efficient and friendly. The room was booked/paid as a double Queen but upgraded to a two-room suite with the mention of the web site offer, Google it. The suites are named after family members, friends, and different folks that the owner knows. The room smelled fresh. It was a good-sized room with a small living room up front. It had a hide-a-bed, desk, wet bar, microwave, small fridge, TV, DVD player and such. The Bathroom was in the middle. Behind the bathroom was a large room with two Queen beds, a wardrobe, dressers, tables, another TV and a DVD player. Each room had it’s own very quiet Air Conditioner. The room was clean but showed a little guest abuse. The bathroom was almost clean, a little mold around the grab bar in the shower. It looked like it had flooded recently. There was a watermark on the door it was a little swollen, discolored, not moldy, but everything was dry. The carpet could have been cleaned about a week ago. The beds were comfortable and gave up a good nights rest. The Wifi worked perfect, five bars and fast. The pool had a slight greenish color but didn’t smell bad and swam well. There were a few exercise machines outdoors near the pool, which was nice. My midsized SUV and the covered parking didn’t get along, can you say compact only. Breakfast was one of the better on our trip. Well stocked, good variety and clean. You eat in what doubles as a small museum of the owner’s collection of artwork, glassware, pocket watches, and other collectibles and memorabilia. The owner joined us for breakfast and talked about some of the items, pictures of him with different celebrities and politicians. That was pretty cool he was a real character. There are a lot of places to stay in SLO some of them cheaper, some more expensive. The price was fair especially after the upgrade. If I get down there again, I’d stay there, the old guy made it just that much more memorable.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank happyjackson
Reviewed 4 September 2007

We arrived and check-in went smoothly. We got to our room - which we had booked as a "suite" and it was crowded for two adults and a small pet. We felt there was too much clutter of furniture in such a small room. The bed was very comfortable, however the wireless internet did not connect so we went to the front desk and they couldn't help us. So we went to a Best Buy to buy a device to fit on our laptop, and it still didn't work - but we were able to pick up service from the inn across the street. I called the front desk to ask about this and they told me it was my computer. It couldn't have been since I was using my laptop for my entire trip and didn't have any problems till we arrived here. We checked in on Friday and out Sunday and both the previous hotel and the next inn we stayed at we were able to use our laptop. Unfortunately, you could hear the people in the room next to us, and the people stomping above us. The tub leaked out water and had to be refilled to enjoy a bath tub soak. The room itself was clean, but the carpet was dirty and needed cleaning. My husband is Asian, and I am Caucasian, and we own a small Pekingese and the reason why we stayed here for their pet room. Anyway, I was in the shower and he went to take our dog for a walk, we didn't know that the Sands would allow for racist skin heads to stand outside their room and call people names based on a pet they are walking and their ethnicity. My husband didn't say a word, there was one of him, and six of them. I heard them making a loud fuss when I had come out of the shower. It was deplorable - foul language, laughing, jeering, stomping, and calling people names from the walk above us. Thank goodness they checked out by the time we got back from breakfast - go to the Apple Farm it really is good food for the money and you can walk to it from the Sands. I was going to say something to the front desk staff when we came back from breakfast but the racists had left. We suggest you stay at the Sands during the week and you may enjoy your visit. The rooms are not "suites" they are glorified motel rooms you park your car in front of.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gizmeister
Reviewed 4 September 2007

We thought the best part about this place was the staff, very friendly and helpful. They went out of their way for us, and that really helped. We stayed in a suite and did enjoy having the extra space of the front room, mini fridge and microwave. The bedroom had high ceilings; was spacious and also well furnished. It was in walking distance to some shops and restaurants etc. For all of the hotels we saw in this area this seemed like one of the nicest.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 August 2007

I spent a week calling and pricing motels in the SLO area. I needed a place to accommodate my family of 5 for a week. I ended up getting a 2 room suite for about sixty to eighty dollars less per night than the competition.
I am a maintenance director so I was continually watching to see how the facility was being maintained. The pool guy was there every day for at least 2 hours keeping the chlorine level above 3.0 and vacuuming the pool! The ph was perfect too. The hot tub was also clean. They did a good job cleaning the rooms.
The continental breakfast was clean and fulfilling. The service was friendly and diligent.
The free movies were a nice perk for the kids. This is not a 5 star motel so be realistic. If you want an excellent value in a clean functional motel, this is a great option.

I'll stay here again the next time I'm in the area!

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank rjo7
Reviewed 22 July 2007

I have been going here for years. I am going there tomorrow in fact. It is very clean the suites are large with microwave, and a fridge along with the basics. The pool is nice very clean along with the hot tub. A selection of free movies for your stay. The breakfast is GREAT they have pre-made batter to make waffles along with many other choices for free! It is close to all the exciting places.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)