Sands Inn & Suites
Inn at San Luis Obispo(San Luis Obispo)
US$96
US$170
US$152
  • Breakfast included
La Cuesta Inn(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
US$157
Apple Farm Inn(San Luis Obispo)
US$256
US$216
US$165
US$151
US$190
US$168
Best Western Plus Royal Oak Hotel(San Luis Obispo)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$137
Agoda.com
US$164
US$151
Agoda.com
Madonna Inn(San Luis Obispo)
US$253
US$236
US$281
All reviewswafflesfree breakfastupgraded to a suiteheated poolmotel stylestay there againfront desk staffspacious roombooked this hotelking bedpaso roblesthursday nightmini fridgeupon checkfarmers marketcookiespismo beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 July 2013

As Cbauer81 noted, indoor corridor hotels, which the Sands is not, are quieter; and there was the unavoidable car noise from the centrally-located parking lot. Fortunately this calmed down when it came time to sleep.
The breakfast area was basic, but clean. Breakfast was nothing to write home about, but there was reasonable variety and plenty of food; and hey, it's free! Piping hot waffles that I was able to make in the self-serve waffle maker, were a fun novelty for me.
Staff, in general, were very helpful, especially Chris in reception, and Lisa who's in charge of housekeeping.
For me the midweek special: $79/night for 2 or more nights, made Sands a great value!
The Sands is a bit far to walk to downtown, about a mile, but the good news is that there's no need to go downtown, at least to eat. I especially enjoyed eating at Jaffa Cafe, about 3 blocks toward downtown on Monterey.

Room Tip: I was in 143, in the single story building, and I had no issues with noise from the Monterey Street, the 101 Freeway, or other guests. The suites, over the pool, are set back from the parking lot, and seem like they'd be quieter, if you can afford them.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Recently stayed here for Cal Poly Graduation Friday June 14-Sunday June 16. Have stayed in different nearby hotels and decided to give The Sands Inn & Suites a try. I normally stay in a "indoor" corridor type hotel, because of noise issues. I am a light sleeper and it was very quiet here. No noise whatsoever. There was a little problem with my reservation, graduation weekend is always crazy, but was quickly fixed without any other issues. Yes this place is a little older. ALL hotels in SLO are older!!! But very clean. Good carpet. Comfortable beds. Refrigerator, Microwave. Clean bathroom. Shower was good. We didn't use the swimming pool due to the weather, but walked over to check it out and everything looked really good. It's not within walking distance of downtown, no hotels are. My family and I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: If you have a student at Cal Poly and they are graduating in 2014 MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS IN JUNE ONE YEAR PRIOR!!!!!! By August everything will be booked. AND everything will be double regular price.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cbauer81
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The Sands Inn & Suites is a nice, clean and well located motel in San Luis Obispo. While not the Ritz, it served my needs well with a comfortable bed, good internet access and a refrigerator. I liked that I was able to park right at my room door, which helped as I was only staying 1 night, and I needed to easily move stuff from my room to/from my car.

This hotel sticks out for 2 reasons, (1) they have a nice collection of DVDs that you can check out for free and watch in the DVD player provided in the room. (2) The breakfast was better than most hotels of this caliber; I particularly liked the fresh cinnamon rolls.

Again, while not exciting, this hotel met my needs very nicely, and was an oasis after a long drive.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor so that you can park close to your hotel door.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank AirJanet
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Stayed during Cal Poly graduation, so the rate was inflated (as all in town were). Breafast buffett eggs/potato's were luke warm every morning. Some cobwebs on the cafe patio covers. Rooms are dated but comfortable. SLO trolley picks up right in front.Helpful staff. I've stayed in 5 or 6 places in SLO over the past 4 years and this place is OK for around $99 a night. Just needs a bit of TLC.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank pandasdad
Reviewed 16 June 2013

booked the hotel blindly in hotwire, it is surprisely very good. the environment is peacefully quiet, staff is very nice. my parents thought the hotel is 4 star, my kid loves the swimming pool. it will definitely be my first choice in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family