“Nice Locale - NO Room Services!”

Vagabond Inn San Luis Obispo
Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I like the Vagabond chain (overall) as most properties do a decent job. Was staying with the SLO site recently while visiting area. My room was located upstairs and while conveniently situated and bargain-priced, there's a lot more I expect out of a room than that - like simply 'baseline' comforts; following 3 days in a row there, I suddenly observed the maidstaff had not been laundering my bedsheets - only 're-making' beds each day, hoping you wouldn't notice! Now I don't know about the rest of you out there, but when I am paying $$ for a room, I expect EVERYday Housekeeping services - anything less is deplorable!! When I phoned and complained and questioned such sloppiness, the Mngr. casually informed me that "well, at (this) Vagabond property we don't offer 'daily laundering service!"....That is not acceptable - I wonder, do they (also) take the dirty towels left in room and RE-fold those..... instead of washing?? Makes you creeped out and extremely leery! Also, the very 1st problem I had in the room; NO standard 'sheer curtain/veil' along w/ regular one so that during day, you can enjoy light - w/o marring guest's privacy. Here, if you want the window open during day/nite hours, the whole darned place can peer right into your room as they walk past it! And they DO! Really stupid idea, and really cheap - not the case at the other VI's I have visited. Between that inconvenience and the unsanitary housekeeping services, I think I'll skip this Vagabond Inn next time around. 'Basic' comforts make or break, a place - I don't care how economy-driven the Mngmnt's. motives......penny-wise, and pound foolish. They've just lost my business.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else around town that has 'regular' Housekeeping services - including DAILY l...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank NewportBeachWords
There are newer reviews for Vagabond Inn San Luis Obispo

Reviewed 23 October 2011

If you want a run-down, fairly dirty motel room, this is your place. The carpet was worn out and had a lot of stains. The lampshades were stained brown and falling apart, and one of the lamps didn't work. The bathtub hadn't been cleaned very well, and there was debris in the bottom of the tub from whoever had last showered there. The hot water was in short supply (and I felt like I really needed to get clean after spending a night in that room).
I've stayed in both Motel 6's in town and they were cleaner, nicer, and less expensive.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different motel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Sunshine20062
Reviewed 15 September 2011

This motel was not so good. The front desk staff at check in was rude. We were told not to call the office after 10. Which was very sad later because the people in the room above us were up acting like a herd of elephants until 1:15 in the morning. The room was not very clean and there were stains on the bed covers. For some unknow reason they put us in the handicap so we couldn't park nearby without a handicap license plate. There is a Denny's in the parking lot maybe the brightest spot on this review. We were only there for one night thank goodness.
I would say look else where if you can. Motel 6 would be a step up for sure.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a good room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jmom2many
Reviewed 13 September 2011

nice family running the place. It was clean and I was impressed by the fact that the comforters were fresh and clean. Very simple. Paid TONS of money to stay there over Labor Day.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Loriegirl
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I spent a night in San Luis Obispo on a trip down the coast at the end of May. Being familiar with SLO, I wanted to spend the night at a budget property that was clean and comfortable. I found both at the Vagabond Inn.

Pros: Easy freeway access, across the street from shops and fast food, walking distance to Madonna Inn, very clean room, remodeled bathroom, decent toiletries provided, microwave and refrigerator in room, free wi-fi.

Cons: Not within walking distance of downtown, nothing fancy, free "breakfast" isn't worth it.

Vagabond Inn delivered a great motel experience for just $56. (Only Motel 6 was measurably less expensive at the time of my visit!) Other discount properties in SLO are too far away from downtown and/or lacking in cleanliness, comfort, or maintenance. The Vagabond Inn even beats some mid-range properties; I enjoyed my stay here far more than my previous Apple Farm Inn experience. Recommended!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2011

good room for the price. hot tub and pool are nice and warm. easy access to 101 freeway.
close to shopping and close to downtown and

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2011

My wife, teenage daughters, and I spent a night in SLO to tour Cal Poly. The hotel location is convenient to the freeway, stores, restaurants, and Cal Poly. The beds and rooms are a bit worn, but OK. The room temperature varied a lot with the AC swings. I slept OK, but my wife did not. The breakfast is as advertised: continental. It's muffins and beverages, and not very good. I paid the AAA rate for a double. Overall, it is not a good value, but I booked the room just a day before my stay and there weren't many options.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family