“Just okay”

Vagabond Inn San Luis Obispo
Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 3 October 2009

We stayed here for one night driving from LA to San Francisco. The room was dark and the beds were okay but at least it was quiet. The pool and hot tub were great and thoroughly enjoyed. The breakfast the next day was very disappointing. No choice and seating area to eat. It was almost as if they couldn't wait to get rid of you. Reception needs to learn more people skills as when my husband went to check-out the man at the reception was cutting his toe nails and didn't even try to hide it!! The only reason it gets a 3 star rating is because of the pool and hot tub

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 August 2009

great value for price. room are nice and clean. bed was little hard but everything was great. person at frontdesk was very nice and help for at time of check in i think his name was sam. also juan was great at check out.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Truth is, I did not stay with them.....Only booked with them. I had to cancel with them due to a family emergency. I called to cancel with them a week before my check-in date.

I got a guy on the phone who took my information and "tried" to cancel my reservation. At that point, he said that the system was down and that I need to call back tomorrow. He said that I could speak to anyone, and they would be able to cancel for me. Then he said he didn't know how to cancel my reservation. Okay, is the system down or does he not know what to do?

At that point, I went over to the Vagabond corporate site. I called their number and told them my situation. Mark, proceeded to tell me that I booked through a third party and needed to cancel with them. Hello!! I booked through Vagabond and my confirmation email even says so. Is their entire staff incompetent? Mark gave me a cancellation confirmation but I had to ask for his name.

Believe me, I will check again to make sure it is cancelled. My advice is, book elsewhere. I'd rather pay a little more or stay with someone else. So far, their staff is well below par.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
vagabond313, Public Relations at Vagabond Inn San Luis Obispo, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2009

After reviewing your post, it was clear to us that you booked the reservation through our own website: vagabondinnsanluisobispo.com, which is a third party. This website is not affiliated with the Vagabondinn corporate website. Each Vagabond is privately owned and we use this website as another way in which guest can book with us.

We are sorry for your inconvenience, and hopefully this information will be of use to you and in the future. If you do see a charge then contact the hotel, and ask for the manager.

Reviewed 25 July 2009

This was a terrible experience! My wife and I have stayed at the Vagabond motel in Los Banos, California, before, and assumed that this Vagabond (in San Luis Obispo) would be a good experience. It went bad when we learned of a family problem the morning of our arrival, and called the motel to cancel out reservation. The manager was rude and totally unappreciative of our predicament. He refused to cancel the reservation, and told us we would be charged the full amount regardless of if we arrived. My wife was so upset, that she called him back to plead for a refund. He was adamant as well as rude when he again refused.

The salt in the wound was when we arrived and checked in. The room we received had a broken refrigerator, which we called about. The same manager said that it was not his “department”, and couldn’t be sure to fix it. We got a second room, instead.

In this day of uncertain trips and appointments, you would think a motel operator would allow more flexibility with his customers. We called over eight hours before check-in time, during a busy weekend. And yet, were refused a cancellation. Management’s attitude (which he said to us) was “we would rather take your money for one night, than have you back again as a customer”. So be it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank testpilot211

We are sorry for your experience at Vagabond Inn. We are sorry for your unfortunate situation, but whenever a guests books a reservation they are told about the cancellation policy. Our cancellation policy states that the guest must cancel the reservation 24hours in advance to avoid a charge.
Further, we did speak to the manager in charge.

Reviewed 24 July 2009

Good sized room for four people including table and chairs and plenty of storage. We had a rollaway bed and still had plenty of space. We paid $77 for 4 of us which included wireless access and breakfast which consisted of coffee and pastries. The room was clean and had a coffee maker, iron and ironing board and a large TV. There was a pool but we never used it. The reseptionist when I checked in was very pleasant and told me about the farmers market that was on that night-definately worth a visit if you are in SLO on a Thursday evening. The hotel is not in the centre of SLO but we had a car so it wasn't an issue-I dont know how convenient it would be if you were relying on public transport but it wasnt far from town.
All in all it was a great place to stop for one night on a road trip.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2009

On January 27, 2009, I went online and made a reservation for June 12 – June 14, the weekend my son was expected to graduate from Cal Poly. I used my Credit Card to hold the reservation. Shortly thereafter, I received an email confirmation defining the payment policy for Graduation Weekend. "Payment must be made in full by Check or Money Order withing 10 days of making the reservation"

At around 7PM that same evening, I received a phone call from a man with a distinctive accent at the Vagabond Inn. I was told that because it was graduation weekend, and the hotel fills up very fast, my credit card would only be used to hold the room for the next 10 days, and could not be used to pay for the room or hold the reservation for any longer than 10 days. I was told that I must immediately send in a check or Money Order, or my reservation would be canceled. I told them I was not willing to pay for my room so far in advance, given that my son still had to complete 2 quarters of school and I wasn’t even sure if he would be graduating in June or in the following December. He insisted that if I did not send in a check or Money Order they would not hold the reservation for any longer than 10 days and that his was a very busy weekend and I would have a very hard time getting a reservation if I did not send in my payment immediately. I told him that I was not going to send a check, and that he could go ahead and cancel it. I did not send in a check and I assumed based on the discussion we had that my reservation was canceled.

In mid July, I reviewed my credit card bill and noticed that there was a $222.88 (for one night!) charge to the Vagabond Inn on June 13. I immediately called and spoke with Juan, who looked up my reservation and was reading notes while talking to me and said something like “check payment voided…” I asked him to explain what that meant because I did not even send them a check. He then said abruptly he could not help me anymore and that I would have to speak with Ben. He said that Ben was the only one who was authorized to issue a credit and that he would be in the next day at 2PM and on the following day at the same time. I sent Ben an email asking him to credit back the $222.88 he charged to my credit card. He did not reply, so I called to speak with Ben. He said he had not received my email. He asked who I had spoken with on January 27 and I told him that I could not remember, but that he had an accent very similar to his. He told me that it could not have been him, because he started there in March. I explained that he should reverse the charge he put on my credit card because the Graduation Weekend policy on the confirmation email and the policy as it was explained to me when I was called on the evening of January 27th made it clear that payment was to be made by check or money order to hold the reservation. I asked him if he had received the email I sent the previous day, he said “No,” and after verifying that I had the correct email address, I resent the email. He said that he could not help me unless I had a cancelation number, or the name of the person I spoke to in January, so I asked to talk to the manager. He said that the manager was not there, so I asked what the manager’s name was and when would be a good time to call him. He said he could not give me any information about the manager. He said it was company policy not to give any information about any of their employees. I asked for the manager several times during this frustration conversation and I was always told the same thing – company policy does not allow them to give out any names or the time when employees would be in - weird considering that Juan told me specifically that if I wanted a refund I needed to talk to Ben and he would be in after 2PM!

During this conversation, Ben repeatedly told me that he could not help me at all without a cancelation number. He said that he had just started there in March and that he was not familiar with the Graduation Weekend policy. I read him the Graduation Weekend policy off of the email they sent me and I had forwarded to him, because he said he hadn’t received the first email, nor had he received the copy I just sent and that he had no idea why my email wasn’t coming through.

I repeatedly told him that when the man from the Vagabond inn called me on January 27th to tell me to send my check in ASAP that I said I wasn’t going to do that and he said that my room would not be held any longer than 10 days if they did not receive a check. I told him that implied that THEY were the ones cancelling my reservation and he said that is not what that means, and that I should have called back the next day to ask for a cancelation number. He then told me that in the 5 years that he has worked there, they have never had to refund any money for a no show. I told him that I was not a no-show, because I was told that unless I sent a check, my reservation would be canceled. I also told him that he was obviously a dishonest because he had just told me that it could not have been him I spoke to in January because he said he started there in March. I told him that he was giving me no choice but to contact my credit card company.

The next morning I decided to give the Vagabond Inn one more chance, so I called them again. I spoke with a man who would not give me his name, and insisted that the managers just come and go and he had no idea when would be a good time to call to speak with one. He asked me to explain my problem and then told me that regardless of the policy for Graduation Weekend, there was no way that a credit could be issued to a credit card without a cancelation number.

Two days after I disputed the charge with my credit card company, a woman from the Vagabond Inn called and told me they had issued me a credit. She asked if I had sent any further info to the Credit Card company and please not to do so because they had issued me a credit that would apppear within the next day or two.

After this experience, I would not stay here under any circumstances. Good luck to you if you are unfortunate to have no other choice and remember, if they cancel on you, you still need to call the next day for a cancelation number!

PS for Cal Poly Parents: We ended up in a very nice suite for the same price of the Vagabond Inn's double queen room, and we did not make that reservation until Mid May.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank RosiePfaff

We are sorry for your inconvenience at Vagabond Inn, San Luis Obispo.

I would like to clarify some problems that you unfortunately faced, during this period of time you booked the reservation Cal Poly Graduation Weekend we have a strict policy that we adhere too. The manager that helped you was on vacation during this time period (January 25th), and thus telling the truth.

Further we did realize our mistake and did fully refund the guest.

Once again sorry for the inconvenience you experienced.

Reviewed 24 June 2009

I had absolutely no problems at this hotel. The staff was friendly, the front desk was helpful. The room was very quiet and very clean. I love the big window in front. The pool area was very nice and I could see it from my room. There are so many things next door and across the street... Dennys, IHOP, Starbucks, grocery stores, gas station.. its all close! Morro Bay is a short 15-20 minute drive. I wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family