“Great Sushi”

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Korean
Good for: Child-friendly
“Great Sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Don't be looking for a great atmosphere or romantic stuff here. Place is in a strip mall. But the food is very good if not a little pricey, but then again it is California. It doesn't open until 5 pm. We were probably the first people through door thinking it opened earlier. We actually had to wait to get in, but allowed us to go to Firestone Grill for a happy hour pounder 2.50 sweet deal. Anyway, sat at the sushi bar so we got to watch the chefs ply there trade and probably got served a little quicker. Glad we went at 5 as place soon had line waiting for a table. We like hot/spicy and weren't disappointed, but also not overwhelmed by heat. The taste of the seafood shown through. We had 5 rolls at an averaged price of 11.50; a hand roll for 6.50 (that is pricey); a large Sapporo for 7 dollars. Bill came to 71 bucks. Sandy the wait person was very personable and helpful. The chefs were diligent and rolled a good roll. The food is very good. Appears very fresh. We saw some things that were made I had to ask what they were as I think I might order them next time.

• Visited April 2014

“Typical hibachi. Nothing special.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

.Visited on a thursday night for hibachi. Mean included salad, soup, and steamed rice. Fried rice costs $2.50 extra. Lame! Food was prepared slowly, but was enjoyable. No atmosphere to keep patrons intrigued.  Typical experience. Nothing special.

• Visited July 2013
Santa Maria, California
“Freshest Sushi Anywhere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

I love Yanagi's and crave this place often! When I worked nearby I called it "Sushi Friday" because I was a regular every single Friday for lunch! I live in Santa Maria now and when I'm in SLO I make my plans to include eating lunch there every time. I've been eating sushi for at least 25 years or so and I know fresh, tasty sushi when I eat it and this place by far has the best tasting sushi I've ever had in the 25 years I've been eating it. I've had bad sushi and know the difference between good and bad. In fact, when I eat at any other place I grade the freshness of the fish and I usually find some kind of fault with it; too watery, tastes like fish or the portions aren't big enough. But I have never had a bad experience with Yanagi's. Everyone who works there is more than friendly and I appreciate this place and highly recommend it to sushi lovers!

• Visited January 2013
slo life
“Yanagi is so good they opened 4 in our area!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

Yanagi is so good they opened 4 in our area! Santa Maria, Paso Robles, Pismo Beach (2) and San Luis Obispo. From luncheon specials to "The Heart Attack", are my favorites. Go early to get a seat!

Paso Robles, California
“Roll specialty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

This is a fun and quality Japanese place with teppan, nigiri and rolls. It's a party place with a lot of noise and activity, so don't plan on an intimate night out. The food is always perfect. Seriously perfect.

Visited January 2013