“Horrible service, good sushi”

Sushiya Restaurant Incorporated
Ranked #211 of 302 Restaurants in San Luis Obispo
Cuisines: Japanese
Avila Beach, California
“Horrible service, good sushi”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Holy slow service, but very good food!

Lunch comes with a free miso soup. Their menu is really big and they have a ton of sushi rolls that sound delicious. We only got one roll - the Grand Tasty. Horrible name but really delicious.

Our server was pretty terrible. He brought soup without spoons, our drinks were empty a lot and it took forever for him to come back for us to place our order, bring food, bring our check - basically everything. We came here for lunch too and there were probably 4 tables in the whole place.

I would come back here. The slow service was probably just a fluke and the delicious food made up for it.

• Visited March 2013

Paso Robles Wine Region, California
“lunch was good”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I took my son this summer for a late lunch on a weekday. The restaurant was nearly empty, so very quiet. I had tempura with rice, and my son had chicken teriaki. Our lunches were good. Nothing memorable about it. I don't think they serve free hot tea, I believe we ordered soft drinks. I didn't try any sushi. I think I would need to go again to have a stronger opinion about it. My vegetable and shrimp tempura was good. We had a good waitress. The decor is lovely clean asian style.

• Visited August 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Not bad, not great. Wine selection local and good.”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The sashimi I ordered was run of the mill. It wasn't particularly well cut, though it was served nicely. They didn't serve the normal salad with ginger dressing or miso soup. :(

Maybe the rolls are better.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Sonoran_Skies
Los Osos, California
“Easy Japanese”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Good rolls, nice setting. Alot of variety in the menu to please a variety of people.

Visited April 2012
Santa Cruz, California
“Pretty good food, can't say great. Really awesome service though.”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I was late, thay were closing & I was jonesing for some sushi! Their front door was open and there was still guests at the tables, but they were closed. I went in anyway cause I really needed a wasabi fix (you know what i mean). The young lady politely explained thay were already closed but I politely persisted. After a short conversation with the manager, and some intervention by the SushiChef they cheerfully ageed to whip up a couple of diner rolls (spicey tuna roll & soft shell crab roll) to-go. The price seemed on-par and I left a fat tip for their special effort. Everything was good. I was surprised to see the tuna was all ground up into a paste, no solid meat. There were some crab pieces in the other roll, but again there was also a lot of the ground up stuff. I've always viewed the paste stuff as filler and prefer to see and bite into meat pieces. I am NOT saying it didn't taste good. The meat verses paste-filler issue is why I rated them a 3 (average) out of 5 (excellent). I asked a sushi chefe once why some places make the paste rather than use meat pieces and he said the paste takes up more volume and is easier to form inside the rolls. For the record, I rate the service and atmosphere a 5 Star Excellent.

• Visited September 2011