“Good if not great.”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The service was prompt, the toast cold, the breakfast solid, the decor delightful, the patio pristine, the prices on the high side. On the whole, I would go back for more

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Let's see - two lonely strips of bacon on a BLT sandwich, adequate fries, and the smallest French Dip sandwich in history plus an iced tea, all for $22 plus tip. And the "dip" was clearly the reconstituted mix from one of the restaurant wholesale places (gave me an MSG headache afterwards). Did I mention that the beef on the French Dip tasted like it had been thrown in the microwave? The salads at the next table looked much more promising, although they start around $10 each. All-too-modern prices in a retro looking place.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

This restaurant opened in 1981 in what was once a small neighborhood grocery store. There is indoor and outdoor seating. I had lunch today with a friend. We went at a busy time and had to wait for a table. My chef's salad was a huge pile of lettuce with some of the typical ingredients tossed on top. The Italian salad dressing I chose was not very good. My friend had a BLT and side salad. We dined inside due to the cold weather and I chose coffee for my beverage. After the initial cup I never received a refill.
I had eaten here many times over the past 30 years but this is the first time in over 3 years that I have been back. I think the food used to be better.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We've gone twice in recent months to the Del Monte Cafe. It is an adorable diner from the 40's (I think), in a beautiful old building across from the SLO train station, which is also charming. The eatery offers indoor dining complete with the old fashion type diner stools, as well as a nice little patio from which you can people watch.

The french dip sandwich, patty melt and fries were wonderful, and I hear their breakfasts are as well. The hamburger had little taste, so I would say skip that unless you like the works on it and don't mind spicing it up on your own, as it was very bland. The waitress was awesome! Upbeat, sociable and very attentive. Just very perky and customer oriented, which was nice.

On our next visit we will try some of their other comfort food items: pork roast or may be something else that reminds us of Mom's kitchen.

Probably the biggest negative about the place is that the floor in the dining areas always seems very dirty, but maybe that's because of heavy foot traffic at other times of day; although it almost looks as if they aren't mopping it daily.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

If I am in SLO and need some food that will stick to my ribs, Del Monte Cafe is my go-to place. From other reviews, it sounds like it might be hit or miss, but in the multiple times I have been there, I've never had a problem; service and food have always been good. I also agree that the breakfast food is better than lunch, but I've only been there once for lunch - whereas breakfast has always been my meal of choice for when to go to Del Monte.