“Some good, some not-so-good”

Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed 28 August 2013

After a very shaky first night (the room I reserved was lost due to another guest deciding to extend their stay - I would have expected management to tell them "I'm sorry, this room has been reserved starting today, but we can move you to another room if you wish to extend"), we were moved to our 1 bedroom, king suite, the next day.
Management and staff deserve the highest praise, they truly exemplify outstanding customer service.
Why only a 'very good' rating you ask? On our last full day at the hotel, our room was never cleaned. After attending our sons wedding and being gone ALL day, we came back to find we'd been 'overlooked' somehow. My husband had to walk to the front desk and ask for clean towels. Ugh.
The rest of our party (we had a block of rooms booked) seemed to be very happy overall.
If you book here, stay away from room 101 - it's VERY noisy (right on the main drag). That was our room the first night, and it was miserable.
Overall, I'd recommend this hotel if you're looking for something nice in the area.
Again, management and staff are outstanding!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos

Reviewed 20 August 2013

The rooms were perfect, large and very clean. I was a little surprised at the cost, considering there is no beach or main attraction nearby.
My itty bitty complaint: I called down for some toothpaste because I accidently forgot it, and the front desk told me to come down and get it. This was a bit inconvenient because I was in my nightrobe (trying to brush my teeth). I would expect that from a cheap hotel but not where I am spending $200+/night.
Overall though, it was a great experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lilylovesb
Reviewed 20 August 2013

So this is definitely an overall clean facility with nice common areas, especially the pool and outdoor areas.

The bed is really uncomfortable for such a new hotel. I do not think I have experienced such an uncomfortable bed at any Marriott branded property before. The towels are still really terrible, however the room is nice and clean as it should be.

The breakfast area was an absolute dirty nightmare. It was so bad the 2nd morning I decided to leave and just not have breakfast. And for the prices being charged this particular weekend, that is a really big shame because you expect to have the breakfast.

I guess I would stay again at this location because I like Marriott but I would strongly consider other options in the area.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlendaleCA
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Two girlfriends and I stayed at the Residence Inn San Marcos. The room was very spacious and we appreciated having a kitchenette and sitting area. I slept on the pull-out couch, which was fine. Breakfast was good and there was plenty of variety over the four days we were there. The pool and hot tub were refreshing.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Liberty B, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Ms. Lucy,

Thank you for your returned visit to our hotel! I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and the many amenities we offer. Please make sure to relax and enjoy some time around our firepit/patio area during our Manager's Reception as well!

Thank you again for your loyalty and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We just drove down to San Diego for a friend's wedding and booked our hotel online last minute. We had never stayed at a Residence Inn before. When we opened the door to our room my husband and I looked at each other in complete disbelief. Oh my gosh, it was beautiful. We had dinner plans and my husband didn't want to leave the room. We did finally go out, but we really enjoyed the hotel and we will definitely return if we are in the area again. Thanks so much to the young lady at the front desk who checked us in. Her smile was very warm and welcoming. She did an excellent job making us feel at home and also helped up print out directions to our restaurant. The jacuzzi was the perfect temperature (we know because we always complain). The breakfast was pretty darn good and the helpers that were out before breakfast is served greeted me with a smile when I wanted fresh coffee 30 minutes before they were expected to be ready. LOVED this hotel! Thanks so much for all that went out of their way to exceed our expectations!

Room Tip: We asked for a room furthest from the freeway.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed 5 nights starting July 3rd. Two adults, 2 kids--9&10. Hotel only has king suites, so we wore the kids out so they would sleep together on the sleeper sofa. We stayed here last year as well and enjoyed it just as much as last time. New, beautiful, clean hotel with great "extras". Fireplace outside, get-togethers in the lobby Mon.-Wed. evenings featuring hamburgers, hotdogs, Italian food, even free beer!. Free breakfast buffet is excellent, varies each day. Waffles, scrambled eggs, french toast sticks, sausage,oatmeal/with lots to add to it. Gets very busy at the end, go early. Tables inside and out, weather is always beautiful to eat out by the small pool. 15 to 20 minutes from Legoland or beach. Several restaurants, brewery close by as well. Highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: Try not to get one overlooking the pool/fireplace area if you go to sleep early or are a light sleep...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank kdje
Reviewed 29 June 2013

What a great stay! We needed a temporary place to stay for two weeks until our home was ready for move-in in the Del Mar area. We have friends in San Marcos, so we thought it would be nice to stay nearby. Although I've not ever been impressed with any Residence Inns I've patronized, I chose this because it was boasted on many reviews and is a newer property. We couldn't be happier! The room is large, clean and up-to-date. The staff are kind and helpful. The housekeeping staff is diligent and thorough. The location is perfectly situation by the 78 freeway with a large shopping plaza nearby. We have a small dog and they are accommodating to pets. We had a great first floor location near the end of the hall so 'bathroom trips' were easy. I'm a very picky traveler - and I couldn't even find a complaint and I can usually nitpick something :-)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Liberty B, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the great review and for giving the Residence Inn North/San Marcos the opportunity to impress you!

Every staff member takes pride in creating a great experience for our guests and we strive to uphold excellent customer service and our reputation on the social media. I will pass on your kind words to my team and hope that we get to see you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Marcos
Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad
Best Western Escondido Hotel
TownePlace Suites San Diego Carlsbad/Vista
Homewood Suites by Hilton Carlsbad-North San Diego County

Been to Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos? Share your experiences!