“Another Fantastic Stay!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in San Marcos
San Francisco, California
“Another Fantastic Stay!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is my second review of the Lakehouse Hotel and Resort, having stayed there approximately this time of year in 2013. Despite having had a slightly rocky start to my stay, I am very happy to report that the quality is still the same, having had impressive excellent service on all fronts.

Unfortunately, when I checked in the first night, I noticed two cockroaches in different locations in the lakefront room I was assigned (ironically, the same one I stayed in the year before!). When I went back to the front desk to alert them, they were extremely apologetic, taking down the details of where I saw the cockroaches, and assuring me that they would be dealt with swiftly. Meanwhile, since they had two large wedding parties staying, there were no other comparable rooms immediately available. As a stop gap measure, they offered to switch me to a temporary room for the night, and relocate me to a new room the following morning. I accepted their offer and spent the night in a very comfortable room overlooking one of the pools.
The next day, I was away the whole day, and when I arrived that night back at the front desk, ready to collect my luggage to take to the new room (they offered to temporarily my luggage at the front desk, which was very helpful!) and get the keys to the room, they told me that they had already moved my luggage to the new room and instead of walking, would a like a lift in one of their golf carts to take me to the new room! What service!! Having had a very busy day, and feeling tired, I readily accepted.
In the room itself (and sure enough, my luggage was there--and--there was nary a bug to be seen!), there were further great surprises. On the coffee table was a tray of grilled pita bread or tortilla bread triangles (not sure what they were, but they were very tasty!) with a plate of roasted red pepper strips and garlic and a little mason jar of hummus. This was accompanied by a very sweet, hand written note by the General Manager, Erin Beadle, further apologizing for the bugs in my originally assigned room, and assuring me once again that they were looking into the matter to make sure it does not happen again, and offering me a discount for the inconvenience. Now that is what I call superior customer service!

The rest of my stay was delightful. The staff, from housekeeping to front desk, were always polite and professional. I frequently ordered room service from The Grill Restaurant, which always had delicious food, and presented very well!

All in all, I would definitely recommend the Lakehouse Hotel and Resort again. Hey, bugs happen! But the impressive way in which the staff dealt with the situation is the key to making me decide whether to stay there again or to recommend the hotel to others. As someone who is involved in a small business, I am extremely conscious of giving great customer service, and the repercussions that a business (large or small) can have with sub-par service. Fortunately, the staff at Lakehouse Hotel and Resort understand this thoroughly and are willing to go the extra mile for their guests!

P.S. I almost forgot (how could I!) to say that they are still extremely pet friendly! My toy poodle enjoyed the place as much as I did!

Room Tip: The lakefront rooms offer a spectacular view of the lake, and are very relaxing.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ADDS92025
Erin B, General Manager at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you ADDS92025 for another positive review of the property. We always love having you here and look forward to a return visit along with the cutest toy poodle EVER. I do want you to know that we have addressed your particular situation and you can be assured that it will never happen again. I'm also glad you enjoyed the hummus, it's my favorite item of the new Grill menu.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
Hudsonville, Michigan
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I wanted a special place for our anniversary, especially since I had been away on a trip for a month. We arrived at the Lakehouse and it was far more than I expected. When I mentioned the anniversary celebration upon checking in, the person at the desk gave us a bigger room at no extra charge. It was great! It was peaceful, clean, well-maintained, and a great view. Three different times the staff printed out directions to places of interest. They made the extra effort to see that our needs and desires were met. We hope to go there again, when we come back to the San Diego area.

Room Tip: Choose the lakeside rooms instead of the poolside.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mindanao-kid
Mindanao-kid, I am so glad to see you had a nice anniversary at our property. Hopefully you can make it a tradition and we can welcome you back next year. Every year we are adding to the property and improving the resort experience.
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were part of a large wedding group staying here for a single night on June 28. We had arrived at approximately 2pm hoping to check in early to freshen up for the 430pm wedding. Unfortunately, the lakeside rooms we had reserved were not ready. We left our name and number and decided to go for a late lunch in hopes that the room would be available in a short time. Note normal check-in is 4pm. We returned from lunch at 315pm and were advised the rooms were still not ready. Therefore, we ended up changing into our wedding attire in the local public restroom on the property. Strike one.

We returned after the wedding at approximately 1030pm, to find the rooms were finally ready (pun intended). The rooms themselves are well appointed. TempurPedic beds, large flat screen tv. Nice balcony w/chairs. Not real large, but comfortable. The bathroom has a sliding door instead of an actual door. So you never feel fully private in there. It may have been an oversight by housekeeping, but there were no washcloths in the bathroom either. It might be a little nitpicky, but strike two.

Since it was a nice summer evening, we decided to enjoy some late night drinks on the balcony. Nice views of the lake and surrounding areas. It was only then we noticed the abundance of mosquitos. Not a few, but hundreds (obviously drawn to the lights on the balcony and in the room). Since we were on the lake, it was not totally unexpected, but the hotel has taken no precautions to combat the bugs. No citronella candles, no bug catchers on the walls, nothing. Strike three.

My wife did see some maintenance men with backpack vacuums and asked them what they were doing. They actually go around and vacuum up the bugs from the guest rooms when requested. Needless to say, we had them vacuum our room a little after midnight. It’s nice they were available at midnight to do that, but with some precautionary measures they may not be necessary.

In the morning my wife went to take a shower and brush her teeth. She put toothpaste on her toothbrush and turned around to start the shower water. When she came back to the toothbrush, there were three mosquitos on it. Needless to say we left shortly thereafter.

It’s a tough property to review. The property is nice, rooms are well appointed, but the amount of bugs just gives us the creepy crawleys. Maybe it’s not so bad in winter, but when we were there it was almost unbearable. At close to $200 per night, it’s also expensive. We’ve stayed at other properties in that price range (Sheraton’s, Westin’s, etc) and felt this property did not measure up.

Room Tip: If there in the summer, bring a citronella candle for the mosquitos
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robert S
Erin B, General Manager at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Robert S, Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the property. I apologize we were not able to have your room ready in time for the wedding, that can be very stressful. I also completely understand your disgust with the bugs. Since this is our first full Summer we are still trouble shooting the best way to deal with them. We are testing out a few different flameless candles to see which work best. We also had the lake sprayed this week to try and limit the number of these harmless bugs. I'm sorry you had a less than ideal experience at the property but truly appreciate your feedback. Without it we could not find ways to improve our everyday operations. Thank You!
Coupeville, Washington
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was the most beautiful and relaxing hotel. Very nice rooms with comfortable beds. Awesome pool area with fireplaces. Get a room with a lake view so worth sitting outside watching the different birds on the lake.

Room Tip: Get room with lake view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kelly C
Kelly C, I'm happy to see you had a nice time watching the birds on Lake San Marcos. Everyday I see a new kind of bird. It really is spectacular.
vero beach, fl
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We checked in here last minute due to our original hotel being horrible.. I got a reservation and we checked in about midnight. the room was amazingly clean and smelled great. We got such a great nights sleep and woke in the morning to realize how beautiful this resort is.. It has water running along it to kayak, boat whatever and 2 gorgeous pools. We asked for a suggestion for breakfast and we were told to go down the road there is a great place. Turns out it is this amazing country club w a beautiful dining room where the service was amazing and food delicious. We had weekend reservations at La Costa , so we check ed out after one night, but if we wouldn't have had that reservation I would of stayed here for the entire trip. The front desk staff was amazing, super friendly and nice.. Highly Recommended !!.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alligolden
alliegolden, I wish you could have stayed the whole weekend! You could have enjoyed the lake and pools or even golfed a round at St. Mark. Not only do they have an amazing breakfast but they have a very challenging and beautiful golf course. Thanks for the recommendation and hopefully we get to welcome you back in the future.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I want to compliment the Customer Service at Lakehouse Resort. I was on a business trip and in a hurried effort to catch a 6 AM flight, I left a packet of very, very important papers in my hotel room. I mean, I checked everywhere (of course) before I left the room and when I was on my drive home after landing, I realized these things were missing. The next day I called and Lorraine became my "hero" for the day. Thank You Lorraine for saving me. She put my paperwork in a Overnight Mail box. When I received it, the packing was great and everything arrived in perfect condition. A wonderful ending to a potential nightmare. And I appreciate the excellent service and wonderful amenities with this beautiful resort. I look forward to seeing you next year on my return trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank T D
TD, Lorraine is a rock star. As one of our supervisors she has really stepped up to any challenge put in front of her. Thank you for recognizing her hard work and more importantly, I'm glad you got all the documents you needed. It's our goal to make sure every guest can count on any one of us.
Riverside, California
Reviewed 23 June 2014

It was a very quiet Sunday and Monday stay. Hotel staff were friendly and accommodating. Stayed in an upstairs room. Spacious, nice towels, good coffee and super clean. Would definitely stay again. Just me on business this time but I will make a point to take my 10 year old- the paddle boats look fun!

Room Tip: Spend the $$ and choose upstairs
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michellle2014
Erin B, General Manager at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Michellle2014, I'm glad you got to experience the "business" side of our hotel. Our convenient location to most of the large corporations in North County make it a great place to stay and do business but feel worlds away. We hope to see you back with your 10 year old soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Marcos
#2 of 5 in San Marcos
Hyatt Place San Diego/Vista-Carlsbad
West Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos

Been to Lakehouse Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!