“Great trip, nice hotel and setting”

Lakehouse Hotel & Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed here for five days while touring the local attractions in San Diego and Los Angeles. The hotel/resort resides in a nice area of San Marcos that has lots of retired housing nearby.

Our room was clean, well maintained and overlooked the pool. We did have an issue with the shower extractor fan which remained on continuously. Maintenance did come and look but nothing was reported back to us and the problem remained throughout our stay. This did not affect our sleep but it would have been useful to keep guests better informed.

The hotel is quite quirky with a motel feel, but hotel amenities. We would definitely stay if we were in the area again and I would recommend this place to anyone traveling through the area.

It's central location means Disney can be accessed in approximately one hour and the Zoo's can be reached in 40 minutes. There are some good shopping malls, restaurants and other amenities locally.

Front desk staff were very polite, knowledgeable and very accommodating. They make an impressive, well turned out team.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Erin B, General Manager at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Wilko84uk, I know there are so many options between San Diego and Orange County so thank you for choosing us! We have worked hard to put a knowledgeable and well rounded front desk team together so I'm glad you noticed. Hopefully we see you back soon and thank you.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Wow. Staying at Lakhouse made me want to move to San Marcos!

I had a wedding party booked there for the weekend of August 9. In total, we had about 30 rooms booked and we had guests come in from all over the USA and Canada. Everyone, including myself, was extremely, extremely happy with the hotel, food, service, and amenities.

A very special thanks to Amanda!! She took the time to call me the week leading up to the wedding and upgraded our room and was very helpful in accommodating early check-ins for many of my guests. I had started to feel a bit disappointed that initially despite all of the rooms that were being booked, I originally felt like I had to ask just to get one night comped but once Amanda got in touch with me all of that turned around and she really rolled out the red carpet!

Hotel is in a beautiful location. The pictures you see do not need to be enhanced - everything at this hotel is pristine and brand new. Honestly it was perfect, and I stay at a lot of hotels. The check-in was quick and I was given an amazing room overlooking the lake. The room was huge and a little piece of heaven here in California. It included a sofa, huge TV and even a kitchenette, along with a big balcony. Loved it!!

Contrary to the lies of another poster below, the restaurant is actually about a 2 to 3 minute walk from the hotel. The food is EXCELLENT, and surprisingly economical. A very nice breakfast was only about $8 despite that it was on a golf course. Beat that for price! I've stayed at hotels like this which had half the service, half the amenities, and antiquated rooms for three times the price.

Upon returning from our wedding, we found our room filled with beautiful chocolate covered strawberries, and champagne on ice. What an incredibly beautiful and thoughtful surprise. Thank you again Amanda!!! All of my guests were extremely pleased, including the ones who are in the hospitality industry themselves. This is easy my favorite hotel in California and I have stayed at quite a few of them. They even have happy hour with free s'mores and wine. Other restaurants are close by. After this stay I plan to go back every year just to spend a weekend. It is so peaceful and even the water sport activities are very affordable.

It was a truly unforgettable weekend for myself and all of our guests. I will never forget this place and I highly highly highly recommend it. This hotel was earned the honors of being a TripAdvisor top 25 in the USA for a reason. You won't regret it!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice but nothing beats paying a bit extra for a lake view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Erin B, General Manager at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

ab3, I first want to thank you for selecting the Lakehouse as the host hotel for such a big day in your life. We have the opportunity to host multiple wedding groups throughout the year and always find them a lot of fun.
Amanda is new to our team and has been a great addition. She is always making sure the little details of our groups stay are fine tuned and well executed. We are happy to have her and I'm glad you feel the same way.
Hopefully we see you back here for a first anniversary and congratulations!

Reviewed 30 August 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by the wonderful ambiance of this place. It has been updated in the last year and a half and, for the price, it is a real bargain. The room with a balcony, the multiple pools and spas, the lake all made for a relaxing time. I would love to stay there again if the occasion arises. Our kids were staying at the Legoland Hotel which is only 15 minutes away.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank You John93060! I am glad you had an enjoyable stay. You should talk your kids into staying here next time as well and take advantage of our complimentary Legoland shuttle.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

So why only average? We arrived back late and I had to park my car near the front office. During the night the sprinklers went off and doused the front half of my car. Usually no big deal but there's so much mineral in the water that pea sized white blotches were left all over it. I figured it was ok to leave them for a day or so because it's a relatively new BMW that had just had two coats of polymer wax applied... by me personally. Wrong! A few days later I washed the car off and the massive amount of mineral in the water had literally etched into the top coat. It's taken hours of hand detailing with a good quality polish to get that etching out. I've never seen anything like it! It's like the sprinklers were spraying concentrated seagull droppings for the amount of paint damage. SO BE CAREFUL!!!!!

Really, there should be a sign or something. Think of the damage to a car that hadn't just been waxed. I thought it was kind of funny that a prime spot was still available on a crowded weekend night.

Otherwise, The Lakehouse was an excellent accommodation overall. The staff was friendly, the room spacious and clean, the grounds immaculate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake or the pool. The lake is very picturesque and the pool can too...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Hello ArmenianGuido,
I apologize for the extreme water spots on your car. I have already spoken with our maintenance and landscape teams to check all of the sprinklers and ensure none are over shooting into the parking lot. Thank you for the heads up so that we could address the issue.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I don't put low rating on reviews, this hotel is beautiful! BUT..... some experiences we had was EH.

My boyfriend got this hotel for our 2 years anniversary, we spent three nights here we got the Lakeside Lounge.

First issue we had was the WIFI, it never got to work! Not even on my Mac laptop or my iPhone! I couldn't yelp or google things to do around the area and my data wasn't as great either. I would have to get out my room go outside to get any signal. I called front desk and they said they will take a look at it but never did?

Second issue was with our hotel room key! We back came very tired from Safari Park and from driving to downtown san diego ( It's about almost an hour drive ) back to our hotel to find out our HOTEL ROOM KEY didn't WORK! This was late at night too. We had to use the restroom really bad to find out we called up front desk and had to wait an extra 15 minutes to get in.

Third issue was the room issue, if you're going to booked a room for the Lakeside Lounge down stair make sure you don't have neighbors on top of you! Hahaha, someone in the middle of the night keep walking back and fourth!! I couldn't sleep at all! All I could hear was people walking back and fourth. Second was the MOSQUITOES!! At night we open the screen door to step out really quick and when we went back in we notice that literally 20 mosquitoes flew in!! All near the lamps and some where in the restroom. Scary! Make sure to open it quickly and shut it quickly!

Our last and horrifying issue was on our last day of check out. My boyfriend and I packed our bags and double check our bed to see if we are missing anything. We flip some sheets and lastly flipped the pillows to only see that the back of the pillow had spotted BLOOD STAINS! Wow this made our experience WAY WAY uncomfortable, how unsanitary is that? Wish we knew about it sooner!!!!!! We paid for a three night stay to sleep on DIRTY pillows? Really disappointing.

We honestly want to come back because of the Lake, and the view. But we are not sure anymore HOPEFULLY if we do come back we will have a better experience and DOUBLE check the pillows and sheets.. 2 STAR because of the gorgeous view.

Room Tip: No wifi if you get the lakeside lodge, must go outside to use it. Look at your pillows before sleepi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amy L

Hello Amy L,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. These always help us better our service and improve where it's needed. To let you know we increased our WiFi bandwidth this week to help improve our internet access points. This should help future guests access all the best online sites! I'm also surprised to hear about your key. Since we moved to RFID and away from magnetic we have not had this issue. I will dig into this a little deeper to make sure no other guests have to deal with this annoyance.
I hope we get to welcome you back to the lake so you can truly experience what we are all about .

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I only stayed here for a night on business by myself, but it was a unique hotel. They have somewhere you can sit around and make smores (I didn't since it was just me!). They are on the water, although you can only walk the dock and there is nowhere to hang out along the water. I loved they delivered food from the restaurant as room service and didn't charge any delivery fees or upcharge! Had unique room decor. You'll have to drag your luggage up some stairs from the parking lot, they don't have a luggage-friendly ramp even to the first floor rooms. Only had one outlet in the room that worked.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the pool, it's loud.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AlohaGirl86
Erin B, General Manager at Lakehouse Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

AlohaGirl86, You will be happy to hear we are working on a longer trail to circle the lake. It is some time in the making but will feature areas to sit and enjoy the view.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just returned from our annual trip to San Marcos for our anniversary party. I am missing the Lakehouse already. Can't beat the view or the accommodations. Hope to someday bring the family and enjoy the pool and kayaking. Hope to see you soon.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

CTBeerGuy, Glad you had a nice stay and we can't wait to welcome you back either!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Marcos
#2 of 5 in San Marcos
Residence Inn San Diego North/San Marcos
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott San Diego North/San Marcos
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach

Been to Lakehouse Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!