“Call a month ahead for reservations”
Review of Wakuriya

Wakuriya
Ranked #47 of 418 Restaurants in San Mateo
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Before they got their Michelin star, we used to come here once a month (that's how often the menu changes) for a fabulous kaiseki (think Japanese tasting menu) meal for under $100. Now, you'll need to call a month ahead of time just to have a chance to get in, but it's worth it.

It's still reasonable priced for the fine Japanese dining experience given the $200-$300 you'll spend in the city for Benu or Saison (and that just for food!). It's a small intimate dining room that really only seats 3-4 parties and a few at the bar. If just two of you, suggest requesting to bar so you can watch as the food is prepared. This is a husband/wife team and they are very courteous and friendly, but not overly talkative. It's the best Japanese food in the Bay area.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

I made a reservation at Wakuriya to celebrate my 5th year wedding anniversary with my wife. I was disappointed to have to cancel due to a delayed flight (SNA-SFO). After I left a voicemail with them to inform them of the situation, they called me several hours later telling me that they would charge me $50 per person (total of $100) because I cancelled on the same day.

I explained to them that there was no way I could make it because my original flight, which left at 3:50, was being delayed until 7:30. She told me that it did not matter what the reason for my absence would be, but that they would charge me $100 anyway. I told her this was unacceptable and she told me that if I could arrive at my reservation on time, she would be happy to serve me. Of course, this was not going to be possible.

I'm sorry, this would have been my 2nd time eating at here, but if this is the way they treat their customers, I don't intend to come back.

2  Thank JDogggggg
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Japanese food is not just sashimi and chicken teriyaki! If you give Wakuriya a try, it will change your understanding of Japanese food. There aren't that many places to go for an authentic high quality Kaiseki Japanese dinner in the US. And in San Francisco Bay Area, this is probably the only place to get it! We had a great dinner there last night. They only have one 8-course dinner on the menu. We got to choose one of the two dishes for the rice course. Other than that, everything was set and nothing else to choose from. The hostess did let us know that the kitchen would accommodate us should we have any menu request. I tried the fruity 3-shot wine and it was delicioius! Everything that we had there was great. All the details were well thought-out. The wasabi that they used for the sashimi course was made from grating real fresh wasabi root. It made all the difference for the sashimi experience. Including tax and tip, we spent 130 each. We don't do this everyday so I definitely think it was worth it. Highly recommended! Dress casual. No tie/jacket required. We were there in jeans. It was no problem at all. We were stuffed when we walked out.

2  Thank TA_Cityguide-Team
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 March 2009

awesome service. delicious, creative dishes. I hate shiso, which was a recurring theme when we ate there, and I still loved it. Great sake selection

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
San Carlos, California
Reviewed 25 April 2008

A rare gem in the states!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook