“Great casual dinner”
Review of Porterhouse

Reserve with OpenTable
Porterhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 420 Restaurants in San Mateo
Price range: US$31 - US$60
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: El Camino Real & San Mateo Drive
Transit: We are located 4 blocks from the Caltrain station in San Mateo
Description: The renowned art of dry aging finally arrives in San Mateo, as our new dry aging window is now completed. We are proud to be the only restaurant on the Peninsula (In between San Francisco & San Jose) to have an in-house dry aging facility. Our new menu featuring these marvelous cuts of beef is now available. Tasting menus featuring these exceptional steaks will also be offered. To accompany your steak, our Wine List celebrates the acclaimed wines of Napa Valley, Willamette Valley, France and Italy. In addition to our steak and chop offerings, our Chef provides for a daily selection of fresh fish and seafood. Whether you are having a romantic dinner, entertaining some friends and family, having a business meeting, or hosting a private party, we will provide you with the ideal setting for your next outing.
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I came to town for business and arrived on a Sunday afternoon. I wanted a good dinner but nothing too formal as I was dining solo. I arrived at the restaurant and was able to get a seat at the bar. They have a bar/lounge menu with a good selection and great prices; however, I was interested in trying out the aged steak. I was not disappointed. My steak was a perfect medium, tender, and tasty. I ordered the 10 oz NY strip, which came with a green peppercorn sauce. Delicious! The bartender suggested a great wine to accompany my meal. They finish the meal with a refreshing pallet cleanser. I will definitely be back next time I am in town. Oh, and I forgot to mention the balanced duet of beets that started my dining experience. Lightly dressed, a little sea salt, and small balls of fried goat cheese, definitely check this appetizer out.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

We arrived on a Saturday night, with 6:30 reservations, at the Porterhouse bar for a drink before dinner. We had been in for a drink last year before eating next door at Astoria and found the bar empty. This evening, however, the bar was busy, but not crowded. I asked the bartendress if she made Lemon Drop Martins with fresh lemon juice and she said "yes" so I ordered one and it was fabulous. We were seated promptly in a nice booth and ordered. My husband ordered the namesake Porterhouse steak for $46 (including vegetables and potatoe) and loved every bite. We all ordered a different 3 course meal (prime rib, filet ,& ribeye; ) and each was very good with great sauces and cooked to order( included appetizer and dessert for $35). The service was acceptable but could have been better and quicker. The restaurant was full and we made allowances for that. I would recommend this restaurant for a nice dinner out on a special occasion. It was a little pricey for more often than that.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

We were here visiting our daughter. I was in a mood for a good steak, so we decided to try Porterhouse. We had no idea about what kind of place this was. Although it's billed as a casual restaurant, it's more like "business casual". Definitely a place you can dress up for and not feel out of place at all.

For an appetizer I had the onion soup, and the prime rib for my entree. The onion soup was good, but a little too sweet for my taste (as one other reviewer noted). The prime rib was lean and flavorful. To my surprise there was no horseradish served with it when it was brought out. However, our attentive waiter noticed and asked if I would like some, then promptly brought it out. I did not care for the au jus - seemed like it may have come out of a can. The twice-baked potato was good, and served in a vertical presentation, which I have never seen before. The potato was standing on end with the other end cut open.

My wife had the range chicken which she said was excellent. My daughter had the Cowboy ribeye. That's what I'm having if we ever go here again.

Reviewed 19 October 2012

I ordered the Price-Fixe (appetizer, entree and desert) with salad, salmon with twice baked potato and creme brulee. My friend got the onion soup and rib-eye. He asked for the steak medium-rare and got a rare steak. They took it right back and fixed it. We each got a glass of wine, from a modest selection of wines by the glass. They allowed us to mix and match the sides, i.e. the entree comes with fingerling potatoes but they let me get a twice baked potatoe instead. All my food was excellent, though the portion of salmon was very small, I guess it was a 3 oz portion. My friend was not as enthusiastic about his meal, feeling there was nothing special about it. I chose this over Kinkaids due to the overall rating. I would go back again

Reviewed 31 July 2012

We opted for the price-fixe menu with appetizer, entree, and dessert for $35. I had the onion soup, filet mignon, and gelato; my husband had the salad, prime rib, and sorbet.Our meals were served with a twice-baked potato and seasonal veggie sautee. Everything was delicious, and the portions were generous. Our waiter was friendly and attentive, ensuring a pleasant experience. Well worth a visit!