“Gotta go there to appreciate it.”
Review of Sawyer Camp Trail

Sawyer Camp Trail
Ranked #3 of 27 things to do in San Mateo
More attraction details
Owner description: Tree-shaded trail stretching 12 miles.
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I grew up in San Mateo so I guess I took this place for granted. I spent many days walking, running and biking along the reservoir. After moving away 15 years ago, I am back in town and went there for a run. People of the Peninsula - YOU ARE SO LUCKY!!!! This place is awesome.

2  Thank jojoishere

Reviewed 14 October 2013

You can walk or bike the full six miles or just one -
The San Mateo section of the hike is flat, easy and scenic - plenty of birds and you may also see squirrels and deer - pretty reservoir surrounded by trees
Well worn popular trail but never overcrowded - great for walking, jogging, or biking!

1  Thank TruGrits1
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Too popular with every form of walker or pedaler on the ends, particularly the lower end. Once you're in a mile or so, the crowds thin out. Beautiful scenery along the reservoir. Hard to find parking on weekends. Too bad you can't approach the water directly, but that is fenced off.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

This hike is pretty nice. I enjoyed it. But I had a child with me who refused to stay on the right side of the paved trail, which is scary as cyclists will zoom past.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

A lovely place to spend 2-3 hours of your day. My fiance and I went there this past Sunday and even though the park was not open until 1pm (we didn't know that there was a bike race), the trail is easy and nice to walk. The paved trail is marked with 1/2 mile-1mile, so you always know how far you want to go or can go. The trail wraps around the lake and there are benches along the way. The place is wonderful for groups, individuals, young and old.
The downfalls: you can get close to the lake and dogs are not allowed :(

2  Thank Faribs