“DELICIOUS!!!!!”
Review of san mateo prime

san mateo prime
Ranked #53 of 423 Restaurants in San Mateo
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This was my SON-IN-LAWS 40TH BDAY Celebration. THE FOOD WAS delicious. MICHAEL, THE WAITER,went out of his way to make it special! I was very happy! I liked that the meal came with salad, two sides. a popover, and bread,& the kids got ice cream and my Son-in-law got tiramisu.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

I have been 3 times, so I've given them a chance. The first 2 times the steak was excellent; this last time I ordered my filet medium rare and it was medium with a little pink. I thought that I could live with that, as long as it has pink in it. But the outside was slightly burnt in spots and I had to cut off pieces. I guess I should have sent it back. There really aren't too many side dishes and there is only one healthy-ish choice - sautéed spinach - which was drenched in butter. And the most interesting part of the meal is the salad. It is iceberg lettuce with crushed eggs, beets, and a sweet dressing. The one positive thing is the staff. They are great but I think 3 times is enough for me.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

My family has always been a Gullivers Fan. Since that restaurant closed in July we have had to find a new spot for our celebrations. San Mateo Prime fits that bill. All eight of us had great dinners. The prime rib was cooked exactly the way we wanted and was quite lean. The popovers are always my favorite and these were crispy on the outside and served hot. Mine was topped off with creamed corn and spinach but you can customize your own from a list of sides. A nice salad was also included in the dinner price. THIS will be our new celebration restaurant.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I had the petite steak (8oz), more than large enough, but it lacked ambiance, and the food lacked any sparkle, nothing outstanding at all.

1  Thank 01Badger
Reviewed 10 March 2012

What a weird place! You think you are going into a traditional steak house and end up feeling like you're in a dim sum family run restaurant - complete with cranky family members more interesting in fighting and ignoring each other than in serving food and diners. Although we had prime rib and lamb (both very good) the side dishes were AWFUL. Creamed corn, some sort of ?spinach? and the worst instant mashed potatoes ever. It's sad to pair a nice steak with sides from a bad frozen dinner...really, just sad.
BONUS - you get a popover (please see photo). Half cooked and tastes like crappy scrambled eggs. Hilarious. Also, very expensive (about $50 for prime rib with said crappy sides that you don't get to choose)

1  Thank ParadiseAdvice