“Excellent - what else can I say?” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of san mateo prime

san mateo prime
Ranked #46 of 405 Restaurants in San Mateo
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
South San Francisco
“Excellent - what else can I say?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

Our last visit was for a Holiday dinner. As expected, we had a most wonderful time. The steaks were very good; the service was flawless. And as in the past, we were able to bring our favorite wines. I must say though that the place has a very good wine list. We love their appetizers, the salad and of course the prime rib. To the owners, Ken and his brothers, and Nelson who has served us often - congrats on keeping the level of your dishes and service first rate.

• Visited December 2013

San Mateo, California, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“DELICIOUS!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

This was my SON-IN-LAWS 40TH BDAY Celebration. THE FOOD WAS delicious. MICHAEL, THE WAITER,went out of his way to make it special! I was very happy! I liked that the meal came with salad, two sides. a popover, and bread,& the kids got ice cream and my Son-in-law got tiramisu.

• Visited November 2013
Foster City, California, United States
“Had a lot better for a lot less”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

I have been 3 times, so I've given them a chance. The first 2 times the steak was excellent; this last time I ordered my filet medium rare and it was medium with a little pink. I thought that I could live with that, as long as it has pink in it. But the outside was slightly burnt in spots and I had to cut off pieces. I guess I should have sent it back. There really aren't too many side dishes and there is only one healthy-ish choice - sautéed spinach - which was drenched in butter. And the most interesting part of the meal is the salad. It is iceberg lettuce with crushed eggs, beets, and a sweet dressing. The one positive thing is the staff. They are great but I think 3 times is enough for me.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
San Mateo, California
“Great Prime Rib”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

My family has always been a Gullivers Fan. Since that restaurant closed in July we have had to find a new spot for our celebrations. San Mateo Prime fits that bill. All eight of us had great dinners. The prime rib was cooked exactly the way we wanted and was quite lean. The popovers are always my favorite and these were crispy on the outside and served hot. Mine was topped off with creamed corn and spinach but you can customize your own from a list of sides. A nice salad was also included in the dinner price. THIS will be our new celebration restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“If you want beef, then worth considering”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I had the petite steak (8oz), more than large enough, but it lacked ambiance, and the food lacked any sparkle, nothing outstanding at all.

Visited June 2012