“Excellent Hotel with great customer service”

Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Excellent place to stay with a very friendly and attentive staff. Has an open courtyard in the center which I find to be better than the dull closed corridors in most hotels. Parking is never an issue here with lots of space available. Rooms are neat and clean. It is a short drive from many stores like Costco, Target, Safeway, Bank of America, Chase, and some eating places.Overall a great place to stay.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

This ESA property has a great location, central to many corporate office locations, shopping, downtown San Mateo and the surrounding area as well as various restaurant and transportation options. The location is quiet, well-kept and I've found it to be a welcome option to the high-priced chains in the Bay area for all of my business travel. I have never found the location to have a breakfast per se however that is not something that is important to me while traveling so it does not figure into my rating of this property. The front desk staff, twenty four hours per day delivery prompt, courteous and friendly service. This team and particularly their female manager who is on during the daytime embody great customer service and are always a joy to work with! ESA itself should invest in furniture and room upgrades but the local staff do their utmost and ensure the rooms are very clean and well organized putting that aside.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MWTraveler6968
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Upon checking into my hotel room, there was an odor which was unacceptable for me. After notifying hotel staff, I was moved to another room. The quality of the room was okay but far smaller than I was expecting for an extended stay. The hotel is essentially a remodled "motel" type hotel, farely dark and only one window in the rooms. The rooms were not representative to what is advertised on the website. I also wasn't a fan of the beds. I am used to a queen size bed but from what I could tell the rooms were so small only a double type bed was provided. As I was dissatisfied I called the managment the day of my check-out to inquire about leaving early from my agreed upon 2 month stay. They stated it wouldn't be an issue but my rate would change to a nightly rate as opposed to weekly which was okay for me. The biggest issue I had was I was charged for the night I checked out simply because I was past the normal checkout time. Management had no desire to work with me and simply stated it was "policy". I have stayed in many hotels in the past and all of them have been more than gracious enough to work with guests on checkout times. In the end I ended up paying for an extra night, I was just glad I didn't spend it there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Scott T
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Place is quite ok for the money .The breakfast was nothing.There is no option for food.The AC was too noisy.The parking was excellent.The staff to mention was very good and helpful.
All local stores are very near .You will get Costco,Safeway,Target and more in walkable distance
Overall a 4 out of 5 rating

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2013

In case of a late arrival, make sure to have a cell phone that will work for a local call (especially international travelers). They post a sign with a phone number on the door to call someone working in laundry. If you are unable to make the phone call, you will be standing outside for a long time.
We had booked a room with two queen beds, but were given a room with one bed. The room smelled strongly of chlorine bleach. We were able to move to a room with two beds the next day, but were then billed $60 more for that room than the confirmed rate. At check-out, the person at the desk was not able to correct the error and issue a credit. It took two days and more work than it should have to get the credit.
This hotel claims to offer a "grab and go breakfast", but it is just coffee and a basket of pre-packaged Otis Spunkmeyer sugary muffin-type products. It's about a 10 minute walk to a McDonalds for more breakfast options.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are noisier, as they face Hwy 92 traffic (San Mateo bridge). This motel mig...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I've stayed in this hotel for a night while on a business trip. It was a motel like joint. The rooms were clean. And the kitchenette was ok. The air conditioning was very loud though. But once I've turned it off I was able to get a good night's sleep. There was plenty of parking space included in the price.
On the morning there was an excellent choice of coffee and grab-and-go type of breakfast items in the lobby.
The staff was friendly and willing to help.
All and all I'd recommend this hotel if all you need is a place to crash after a long flight before moving on to your further business.

Room Tip: get a room that doesn't overlook the highway.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am glad to read your remarks about stay. However, I am very sorry the air conditioning noise. I am following up to ensure that issue does not happen again in the future. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Still, I am pleased that you had an opportunity to enjoy our grab-and-go breakfast. Also, I am happy to hear that the cleanliness of your guest room was to your standards.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at snm2@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Would you please kindly contact me with your room number or your name so I can have the issue fixed as soon as possible.

Thank You again for choosing Extended Stay America- San Mateo SFO Houman Mobasher

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Simple and good - No bells and whistles.
Front desk staff were most helpful. Very clearly told what I would get and got what was told.

Close to Foster City offices of Visa, Oracle and IBM - ideal for those on business at these establishments.

Calm - tucked just at the right distance from the hush and buzz of vehicular traffic and yet not too inaccessible.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Los Prados Hotel
Los Prados Hotel
#10 of 12 in San Mateo
Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO? Share your experiences!