“No complaints” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
New York City, New York
“No complaints”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

I booked this hotel via Priceline for 5 nights for the July 2009 California Bar Exam - the price could not be beat. I was pleased to find that the Best Western Coyote Point is an easy drive to the San Mateo Expo Center, and I was able to go to Whole Foods and Safeway for groceries (all rooms have microwaves and mini-fridges). I studied almost every night I was there, and had no real issues with noise (except for the occasional child running through the hallway). I really appreciated the free breakfast buffet each morning, even when all I wanted was some juice and a muffin. Parking was free and so was high speed internet. For the price, I have no complaints.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

My husband and I were scheduled to stay at this hotel with our two small dogs. We called from Germany to make sure a room was available, our dogs would be allowed in the hotel and any restrictions on the room...everything was fine. When we arrived at the hotel, the owner looked at our dogs and told us we would need to put a $200 deposit on the room, which we understood and had no problem doing. He then said that in simply looking at our dogs they would not be allowed to be left in the room alone and that we needed to take them with us at all times. Although we would love to take our dogs with us, most businesses in the states don't allow dogs in their stores. My husband then asked to see the policy in writing where it said the hotel required pet owners to take their animals with them when they left. The owner answered that he did not have it in writing and that he "...sometimes had to change things as he went along". After a 20+ hour plane ride from overseas, we were turned away from the hotel.

My husband and I understand that hotels may not accept animals and some have restrictions on pets. However, it is the responsibility of the hotel to inform guests (and to post on their website) of these restrictions if they exist. The owner of this hotel has poor business skills and any traveler should be weary that he may change any policy on the spot without proper written documentation.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mdillon873
Lake Tahoe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

We are regular guests of this hotel for years. Reason we kept coming back was the warm and friendly girls behind the front desk(Lisa, Marifee,Renee).The amenities in the room however require updating.(TV, blanket, bathroom fixtures. fridge). When we were last there (Feb 17 & 18) my wife bought a lot of food that required refrigeration.The fridge was cold enough when she put the food in and later turned warm .Most of the food was spoilt and my wife was so upset that we decided to check out early without spending the second night. We were of course charged for both nights, I decided to bring this to the manager's attention the next day by phone. I was totally blown away at how rude, hostile and unaccomodating this guy was. One would think that in any service industry and especially with the bad economy today and the need to compete with similar hotels nearby, the manager would bend over backwards to keep his customers happy. Well Mr. Manager, it is not about the spoilt food anymore. Your attitude sucks and we will never be back and do you think I will recommend this hotel to anyone else???
Good bye!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank seafoodloverTahoe
Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

Hotel was nice. nothing fancy. continental breakfast was a little disappointing. waffles and eggs, no meat and nothing to put on waffles. staff was nice but not very knowledgeable. Must call hotel for shuttle from airport. Must schedule shuttle night before checking out. shower lacked descent spray. vending machines are very affordable, everything was 1.00. Not really a good value for the price.

• Liked — vending machine was affordable
  • Disliked — continental breakfast
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Aptos
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2008

We booked this hotel for one night, and left our car for 7 days.
The hotel was clean, the staff friendly, the shuttle ON-time- was right there to pick us up at SFO when we called at 11:00 pm on our return trip.
The price was very resonable - significantly lower than other park n fly hotels we looked into.
The room is nothing special, we said we would be using the hide a bed and and it was all made up when we arrived.
The breakfast bar was excellent.
I never write reviews but I was just plesantly surprised, and thought I should give them the kuodos they deserve.

• Liked — Price, access to SFO, breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank heathbars
Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2008

My wife, son and I stayed at the Best Western Coyote Point Inn in August, and as most reviewers noted, it is tricky to get to, particularly from the southbound 101 freeway. And it's true that there are no stores or restaurants within a mile or two, but c'mon people, it's within a mile or two of the main street that goes all the way from San Jose to San Francisco, if you choose to. There are hundreds of restaurants and stores along that drive. So the bottom line would be: if you don't have a car and feel like you need to move around, maybe this hotel isn't for you.

That said, the hotel was neat and clean, the help was friendly, and the room itself was 'roomy' and equipped with most everything one would need, including free high-speed wireless internet. It clearly met and/or exceded my hopes and expectations, and I WILL definitely stay here again during my yearly trip to the San Francisco area.

• Liked — Nice hotel for the price.
  • Disliked — Dificult freeway access.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

We booked through the Park-Sleep-Fly website, which gives us discounts for an airport and sleep-one-night package at SFO. In our case, it was Park-Fly-Sleep as our overnight was after we returned from our 2 week vacation.

The Best Western itself was really nice and the package was priced right. Upgraded, free continental breakfast, with waffles and simple omelets, etc and underground, secure parking. The free computer in the lobby was very fast. There was also an exercise room as well as a sauna. Hmmm....can't remember if I've ever seen a sauna in a Best Western.

Also, the suite room was large, with a desk, DSL, a king bed, a couch, large TV and even a phone in the bathroom! Granite countertops and a small microwave and fridge completed the spacious, comfortable room. Big fluffy pillows also!

As others have mentioned, we had some problems:

1) The place is so far from the airport that the shuttle (which doesn't run from 10:30pm to 5:00am, I think) only runs once an hour and you have to call them and we nearly froze while waiting. It was really annoying as the whole point of staying in an airport hotel is NOT to have to wait forever to get to your room. They end up having to drive on the freeway, so if there is a traffic back-up (common on 101), it takes forever.

2) The hotel is in a remote location, away from services. No nearby restaurants, etc. It's not fun to have to drive around in the dark looking for a place to eat, AFTER you already wait for an hour (even after a call) for the shuttle.

3) Someone mentioned thin walls. I didn't really notice it (hearing no noises or conversation through the walls) except after I went to sleep at around 10pm, my husband was watching TV very quietly and the person next door started banging on the wall, so I guess even low volume could be heard through the walls. Weird.

You can also hear the freeway from your room too, even though there is a sound wall. It didn't bother me as I sleep through low-grade noise, but might bother sensitive sleepers.

Despite some of the problems above, we would stay there again as the rooms are so nice and we would know what to expect next time, re airport parking/shuttle.

• Liked — amenities in the room and the hotel; airpport park and fly program
  • Disliked — inefficient shuttle service and remote location
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MarlySF
#2 of 12 in Burlingame
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport / Burlingame
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront

Been to BEST WESTERN Coyote Point Inn? Share your experiences!