“Very satisfying stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Syracuse, New York
“Very satisfying stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

My fiance and I were first given a room that, when we entered, realized had not been cleaned since the last couple stayed there, because the linens were pulled off the bed and the toiletries in the bathroom were all used, but when we went back to the front desk to complain, he immediately gave us a new, bigger room with two beds (he had nothing else ready at the time).

Our new room was clean and really nice. We loved the decor, it looked like a really nice apartment. The beds were insanely comfy and plush and the leather armchair was a nice touch. The bathroom was clean and nice. My only complaint was that the refrigerator wasn't working when we got there, but then we realized some dolt had unplugged it to plug in the TV so we just readjusted that and we were fine (we found another outlet for the TV so were able to still use it).

There's free parking, the hotel is within walking distance to a bunch of really great Chinese restaurants, a mall, and a Trader Joe's. And the drive to Half Moon Bay took less than 30 minutes, although watch out on weekends! - traffic gets intense and you can get stuck for closer to an hour. The breakfast was the biggest letdown - dry cereals, no hot water for tea, some bagels (no wheat) and no fruit or eggs. We were hoping for a banana at least, but that's why it's so nice to have a Trader Joe's nearby!

For the price, these are small complaints. And we really just wanted a nice place to rest our heads and get some much-needed shuteye. For that, this place is top notch. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calcutta, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

This is an awesome Inn. Pricing was very reasonable. The staff was great, the rooms clean and beautiful. When I opened the door to my room for the first time I was suprised. Usually the pictures don't tell the real story, but this time it did. The room was comfortable in every way, beautifully decorated, very inviiting. Thanks you Stone Villa Inn for being there for this weary traveler. I travel a lot and this was the best by far.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

This hotel is all Newly Remodeled. The rooms are beautiful, had all the amenities, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I would come back again and again. I recommend stopping by and staying on your next trip to the area.

Room Tip: They are all very nice. They have a website to check out the rooms at stonevillainn.com
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Richmond, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

Located right on El Camino Real. Superb value. Rooms were spotless, and staff went the extra mile to be of help. Free (basic) breakfast. Walking distance to Hillsdale Caltrain station and shopping center. Loads of excellent restaurants within walking distance as well. Fifteen minute drive from SF airport.

Room Tip: Get rooms on second floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

Timeline of Events:
5/11 sometime between 9:00am – 12:00 noon (I don’t remember the exact time): I called Tina, the manager and owner at the Stone Villa Inn.
• I asked if she had a room available and she said they did for $65/night. I asked if she could give me a discount and she agreed to provide me the room for $60/night if I stayed the entire 5 nights. If I were to stay less than 5 nights, she would charge me $65/night. I’d agreed to that price plan.
• I told her it might be 5 days possibly less or more, but asked her if I made the reservation for 5 nights if I could leave early and pay for only the nights I’d stayed, be it 1,2,3,4 nights. She said that would be okay and she would charge me for only the nights I would stay there.
• I asked when I could check in to have 5/11 be the first night for which she would bill me, and she said I could come right now.

5/11 12:31pm: I arrived at the motel and checked in at 12:31pm. This time is reflected on the receipt for $336.00 ($60/night plus 12% tax)
• I gave Tina my Wells Fargo bank ATM card and she charged the full amount for the 5 night without telling me ahead of time that she was going to do charge the full amount up front. She just handed me the receipt after having done so. When I inquired about it, she told me she wanted to charge me for the full 5 nights and if I checked out before 5 nights that she would credit me back and charge for only the nights I would stay there.
• Tina told me there was free Internet access and provided me the username and password – she wrote these in pencil on the attached receipt.

5/11 sometime after my check-in that day: I logged onto and used the wireless Internet in my room at the Stone Villa. I went to bed around 5:00am and had used the Internet on an off during the day and that night.

5/12 approximately 10:15am: I tried to log onto the Internet but it did not work. I could not access the Internet at all (no web and no email)
• I called the front office and Tina answered. I told her the username and password had worked yesterday, but that today it was not working. She told me to log on and off and gave me unclear quick directions and was very rude and short. I was about to try her suggestion and she wanted to hang up on me, but I asked her to please wait to see if it worked. She said it would work and that she had to hang up. I asked her to please wait again, she waited 5-10 seconds for me to try her suggestion…I tried it and was not able to access the Internet. She then suggested something else, insisted it would work (I don’t remember what the exact suggestion was at this time as it has been about 2 weeks since I was there, but she wanted to hang up on me again before I got a chance to try it. I asked her to please wait “again,” it did not work “again” and then she said I should come down to her office to figure it out. I asked if someone could come to my room, she said “No! You have to come down here.” I got dressed, went down to the front office and she tried the same things she’d told me to try, and of course, it did not work. Then she said she didn’t know why it wasn’t working and didn’t know what to do. I suggested calling the company that provides tech support for their Internet access. She then called that company. Don’t ask me why she hadn’t thought of that on her own.
o The tech support person at the tech support company said that they would come by to fix it within one hour. Both Tina and I spoke to him on the phone. After about an hour, I asked Tina if I could use her computer to look for a possible place to stay in case they could not fix the Internet access and I had to stay elsewhere. She made me feel like I was intruding on her space by using her computer and kept asking me if I were done yet with no care about my situation. Her computer was difficult to use as it had technical problems, so it was cumbersome to add to the already stressful situation. I used her computer to look for other accommodations in the event I would have to change motels. After about another hour, tech support had not shown up and we called back. The tech support person kept telling us they would come by soon and that they were working on it remotely.
o About 45 minutes later, we called again and they said they were working on it remotely. It was like going in circles.
o At 1:09pm I had given up and told Tina I would have to check out because I needed Internet access to conduct the very business for which I had driven from LA to Northern California.
 Tina told me I had to check out within one hour by 2:00pm or that she would charge me for an extra night.
 I asked her if I could do a few things I had to do in the room, shower, and pack and check out by about 3:00pm (as I had wasted the last 3 hours trying to fix my Internet access while using her computer).
• She rudely told me that if I did not check out in one hour at 2:00, that she would charge me for an extra night.
• I told her it was 1:09 and she told me, “You have till 2:09, otherwise I will charge you for an extra night!”

1:09pm: I went up to my room, rushed to do a few things I had to get done, rushed to pack, didn’t have time to shower, and during this time, of course, got a knock on my door at 1:40pm by housekeeping asking me when I was going to leave the room. I told housekeeping I would leave soon and before my check out time. I was concerned that Tina might charge me for the extra night (the 2nd night) if I hadn’t checked out within a few minutes, not by 2:09 as previously mentioned as I’d learned by now that her word meant nothing.

5/12 1:50pm: I left the room at 1:50pm, put my bags in my car, and proceeded to the front office to check out.

5/12 1:52pm: I arrived at the front desk to check out. Tina had me wait about 5-10 minutes to check me out.

5/12: approx 2:00pm Tina started to check me out of the hotel. She told me she would charge me for only the nights I had stayed there and that I should be grateful to her for her giving me the $60 rate instead of the regular $65 rate. She said, “You have to be grateful, you have to!” It was very strange to me how this whole thing was proceeding. I just smiled and said, ok, thank you. It took her about 7-10 minutes to figure out what to credit me back. She seemed confused which I’d assumed was why it took longer than usual. She handed me a receipt with a credit for $201.60. Now this is the strange part, but I promise this is what happened. She had credited me back for 3 nights so that she ended up charging me for 2 nights, instead of the 1 that I actually stayed. When I checked in the day before, I’d showered and then was up till about 5:00am working. The previous night I had driven from LA until arriving at a friend’s apartment at 1:00am, stayed at this friend’s place for that night, and had little sleep. I had been up till between 2:00am – 5:00am each night for the past 3 nights. As a result of that and also because of my having been rushed and very stressed about the whole situation with the Internet access, the awkwardness of using her PC, when Tina gave me the receipt, I’d thought I’d been credited the correct amount, when I had not. I just took the receipt and got the heck out of there and went to my new motel, where the Internet worked fine my entire stay by the way by the way.

5/16 10:30pm: I was going over my receipts for my trip and noticed that the Stone Villa Inn had charged me for 2 nights and realized I’d stayed only 1. I was so frustrated and surprised. I immediately called them, and Tina answered. She said, “It’s 11:30, call me back in a week, I will be very busy with customers and cannot talk to you until then.” I told her I was sorry if I had woke her up as I’d thought I was calling the front office and I also told her it was 10:30pm not 11:30pm. She told me she was too busy with customers and that I had to wait a week to call her back. I told her that I was a customer too and that she charged me for 2 nights, not 1, and that she should credit me back. She interrupted me and said ”Listen to me!” and that she had given me a deal by giving me a discount at $60/night. I told her that does not allow her to charge me for 2 nights when I’d stayed only 1. The entire conversation made no sense, but I had learned that this is par for the course at the Stone Villa Inn. She then said I had stayed 2 nights and that she would not talk about this now. I asked her to call me back tomorrow, and she said “I needed to call her” in one week and that she would not call me. I then told her if she did not call me back tomorrow to resolve this, that I would write about my experience on TripAdvisor and on other travel sites as this was very unfair and I was very upset. She then said “goodbye” and hung up on me.

5/19 6:00pm: I called the Stone Villa Inn to attempt to resolve this as I believed calling in one week would not make a difference nor should not have to wait till then.
Tina answered the phone, asked who it was, and then rudely put me on hold. A couple minutes later, she came to the phone. I told her that I reviewed the receipts that she had given me and that I had checked in on the 11th and checked out on the 12th so that is one night and she had charged me for 2. She then told me that she had charged me for 2 nights because I had checked out past the check out time. The checkout receipt actually reflects a checkout time of 2:10pm (this is time at which Tina printed out the receipt with the 3 nights credit). She then told me she gave me a discount of $60/night. This made no sense to me as she contradicted what she had previously said and promised, but as I had learned, this is how the Stone Villa Inn does business. She then proceeded to interrupt me, raise her voice even further and ranted and raved while making no sense what-so-ever. I told her I would dispute the charge with my bank, but I had made the mistake of using my ATM card to pay so after all this, I might not even get my money back.

I would strongly suggest not considering the Stone Villa Inn –San Mateo anytime you are in need of a motel. Tina’s behavior, in my opinion, is both rude and criminal. She has no concern for her customers and stole my money. I wonder how she will continue to treat her future customers in her family run motel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank JamesSFNY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

Very good value location. The staff don't really speak English very well, but luckily enough the rooms are clean and well kept so there's no need to speak to them. The free internet is fast enough for HD internet video, and the air conditioning is a big plus. Only real complaint - just one tiny sachet of complimentary shampoo, no shower gel. Also, the wiring for the air conditioner unit looked a bit dodgy (but was probably safe!)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

In general, the room was decent and the location was perfect. There are no coffee pots in the rooms which is a major downfall.

Take your belongings with you if you are leaving your room for the day. Even though I had the do not disturb sign hanging on my door, the housekeeping staff entered my room each day of my stay. If the sign is on the door, then stay out of my room!!!

Also, don't leave anything behind when you check out or you won't get it back. I left at 5 am and left my jacket in the room. I called at 7 am to report this to the manager and he told me to send a box in the mail and they would ship it to me. When I called the next day to inform him I was sending it, he told me that the housekeeper found no jacket in the room and said that I must have left it somewhere else. It seems highly suspicious to me that try didn't find my jacket, especially when their staff enters rooms when directed no to!

If your looking for a place to sleep and that is all, then this is the place. Just make sure you take everything with you when you leave or you'll never see it again!

• Stayed April 2011