“Fair enough since we didn't have to pay for it”

Stone Villa Inn San Mateo - San Francisco SFO
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Beirut, Lebanon
“Fair enough since we didn't have to pay for it”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed at this place in June because the airline sent us there (and paid for the room) after a missed connection. We got there at 2:00am and were told checkout is at 11:00. We asked if we could check out a little later, like at noon, but they would not negotiate. The room was clean but it could definitely do with some renovations. It basically felt like a cheap motel. The bed was comfortable. The breakfast was rather scarce so we ended up grabbing a banana and headed to downtown San Francisco for food. Not sure we would stay there if we had to pay for it ourselves.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steff928

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

The room itself was not bad, but of course the ice machine was turned off manager said not working today, it looked to me that it hadn't worked in awhile. We were told of the continental breakfast offered in the morning at 700-900 am.,guess what it wasn't I was there at 710 and the door was locked. So we packed and loaded the car as we drove out and dropped the key ,some man was sitting in the doorway do what I don't know, it was as now 730. I'm so tired of not being given what was paid for . We won't stay there again

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank barefoot99
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I know that the Bay Area is expensive, and I surely wanted something basic. I got a comfortable bed, a not too noisy area, free wi-fi and proximity to freeways, stores and restaurants.
On the other hand there were areas that needed some dusting, hot water that worked only if you followed the verbal instructions of the hotel owner (it turned up to be lukewarm, not hot) and one of the worst continental breakfasts I ever had.
I would have probably saved some money by booking at a Motel 6

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank fabules1966
Sydney, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The hotel was clean, bed was comfortable. Breakfast was decent for being included in the price.. good location.
We had 2 pillows on the bed and called to request additional. No problem if we went to get them when the front desk was open. The room wasn't spacious. Small walkway between the end of the bed and tv stand (be careful walking through here as the bed frame extends beyond the mattress and we banged into it several times in the dim lights.
Lots of parking - we didn't spend much time in the room so it worked for us.

Room Tip: Request the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Raylene757
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This is a terrible place to stay. I had a horrible experience. Our room was a good size, but not so clean. No counter space in the bath room. The towels did not smell clean. The beds were rock hard. The toilet was plugged up when we arrived to the room. When I called the front desk, the manager told me he would bring me a plunger. But it was not his responsibility to plunge it. When I started to go off on him, he told me I could go stay somewhere else. I told him I would be glad to do that, but he would not refund my money. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Rebekah L
North Conway, New Hampshire
Reviewed 19 June 2014

in May 19-out May 21, 2014: This is a mostly well-redesigned and renovated 2-floor older motel. We were on the first floor and could hear every step and squeak in the room above us. The room had 2 comfortable leather chairs, still in good condition. The bed was firm and comfortable. We thought it odd that there was no top sheet on the bed! - just a quilt directly over the bottom sheet. We requested a second sheet and they provided one..but, I had to remake the bed myself. (they did insist that, between every new guest, the quilts were laundered. Seems to me to be way too much wear and tear on a quilt to be washing it sometimes every day.) Internet said 'Deluxe Queen' room was 'spacious.' We thought it small (but, the closet was huge, which we didn't need for a 2-day stay.) Bathroom has a nice large shower..but not one shelf to put things on. We found a potentially dangerous feature of the bed: the frame extends beyond the mattress, and we banged into it several times! Had to use the two white hand towels to wrap over the corners of the black wood bed frame so we'd not bang into it. There is a large table along the same wall as the TV, bureau, fridge and microwave, but no light anywhere near it. Yes, there is a 39" flat-screen TV, but the picture is about 23". The breakfast nook is pleasant, but the offerings were nothing special: frozen toaster-pancakes, -waffles, overripe bananas, terrible coffee, some bread, one bagel left. We felt, at $100/night, it was way overpriced. The location can be good: yes, there are several restaurants of varying ethnicities in walking distance, as is the San Mateo Events Center. Convenient access to the CA-92 (east-west) Freeway is a few blocks north.
Then, came pretty close to the WORST thing that can happen during a hotel stay: after our first night (when the above portion of the review was written) we had a most unfortunate experience: we slept in and were in the room until noon or so, with our Do Not Disturb sign on the door. Since we were leaving in early afternoon for our day out, I went to the front desk, after we removed the DND sign, to inform the hotel that we were now leaving for a few hours and the room was ready to be serviced. The one desk person was on the phone, did not look up or acknowledge for a few minutes that someone was in front of her. When she finally looked up, still on the phone, I smiled and said: "106 leaving; please service the room. We'll be gone a few hours." We returned about 3 hours later, at 4:30PM, and no one had been in the room to: make the bed, remove trash, replace towels, vacuum, clean. I went to the front desk to express our dissatisfaction. She sent a housekeeper within 15 min. who showed us his room chart on which he had written next to 106: N.S. (No Service). I explained that there is a BIG DIFFERENCE between a customer telling the Front Desk or Housekeeping that they do not want service all day and a Do Not Disturb sign on the door while the people are still in the room. What kind of well-trained housekeeping personnel don't know to check again and again to see if the DND tag has been removed!? We were ready to be back in our room- I get up at 3:30AM to go to work - and told the guy to "empty trash and bring fresh towels; I will make the bed myself", which I did. And, the Front Desk had never relayed that we were out with the room vacated to be serviced. We plan to take take this up with our credit card provider. Nice to see in previous reviews that they have had some successes; in our case, we can only say Epic Fail!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dulcie L H
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed for a night when flying in to SFO. It was a great price, but the beds were terribly hard and the walls thin. We could clearly hear the man in the next room snoring all night. The breakfast was adequate . The rooms were mostly clean but again the beds made it hard to sleep.

Stayed May 2014