“Tasty steak”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Vault 164 serves pretty good food but the prices are a bit high in my opinion. I had ordered the warm spinach salad and the garlic skirt steak and both were delicious. The steak was cooked exactly how I wanted it. However, for the price I paid for the skirt steak, it could have been a bit larger. Service was very good. Because of the food, I'd probably come back to this place again.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Vault 164 was an okay restaurant. The food was a little bit better than A&W and had a weird smell to it. At least they got the mac & cheese right. The decorations were really cool and the price was pricy for the food that we got. I loved the feeling of being in the old bank vault feel to the place.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We got stranded in San Mateo because of the airliner crash. We decided to venture out Sunday evening and were rewarded for our efforts by a fantastic meal at this restaurant. We started with the bacon wrapped figs which were fantastic. My wife had the stuffed pepper which was full of different ingredients that blended well with a little kick. I had the skirt steak. It was cooked perfectly to my liking and served with mashed potatoes and additional vegies. The service was excellent.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

We chose this place for a dinner with out-of-town guests, largely on the strength of its gluten-free menu, although the regular menu looked good, too. Situated in a former bank, the restaurant is quite striking and beautifully designed. It even has booths big enough to accommodate large parties. The waitstaff was wonderful. But the food left much to be desired. We got off to a rocky start when the specialty drink one of my daughters ordered came without the key ingredient. It seems they forgot it. The server was very apologetic and quickly came back with a replacement. Then we tried to order. One of my daughters must eat gluten-free for health reasons, and she was very excited to see some of the menu items. Unfortunately, it turns out that dishes get put on the gluten-free menu simply because they do not contain items with gluten. So when she tried to order the cheese-stuffed dates, she was told that while the cheese and the dates did not in themselves contain gluten (duh), they were fried in the same oil as items that did contain gluten, so there was a risk of cross-contamination. This story was repeated several times, and in the end, she had to settle for steak, which is almost always safe. She was very disappointed, especially since there wasn't a single gluten-free dessert, and felt quite misled. The rest of our food was fine, but perhaps a bit overpriced, and a little clumsy in its execution. I'm not sure we will return. I did feel sorry for the waitstaff, because they seemed to recognize how misleading the menu was, and were put in the position of having to apologize repeatedly.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

An upscale place that serves very good food at high prices.

At this writing: $14 for a burger and fries. $14 Cobb salad that really should have been much less (probably the only dish scoring 3/5). And a 1/2 roasted chicken with broccolini for $19.

Truth is however that, except for the salad, the food was perfectly prepared and we were pretty pleased with the quality. My roasted chicken was actually very simply prepared but was super juicy (even the white meat) and tasted the way a real chicken should taste.

Burgers were pronounced the "Best Ever" by our friends who ordered them.

The (20 minute to prepare) bread pudding was also beautifully presented but did not particularly impress, looking better than actually tasting.

Service however was another matter: Our waitress tonight was particularly lacking in both personality and timing. She was both perfunctory and almost rude in asking questions and then not really choosing to wait for the answer before starting to turn away.

She also decided that about mid meal to hand out the desert menus before anyone had even gotten through their meals.

When she gave us the check, she could have practically tossed it over her shoulder as she was leaving, because that's how fast and cold she decided she needed to be. After all, she wrote a little heart on the check next to her name, like this was going to make up for the cool, detached attitude that came off her in waves.

So for no drinks, we had two burgers, two salads and a 1/2 roasted chicken and 1 dessert for roughly $95 with tip for 4 people.