“The food was decent, and...”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Italian
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
San Jose, California
Reviewed 25 March 2008

The food was decent, and the service at first was decent as well (though the waiter or manager or whoever he was was a little aggressive to start with by trying to get us to order more appetizers than we wanted and assuming we wanted a 4-person appetizer portion for another one before we confirmed). But then we had a surprise when we got our check. They apparently thought a party of 5 was a LARGE party, so they charged us 20% for the tip. We were shocked, but it wasn't like we weren't going to pay it. However, we were trying to figure out if it said anything anywhere about the tip benig automatically added for a party of 5 or more. We asked our waiter to see the menu, and it was listed nowhere. The manager guy then came and went on about how "It's always been like that for parties of 5 or more for the 18 years we've been in business!" and generally acted like a jerk when my friend just tried to tell him that maybe they should add that to the menu so future customers won't be surprised. On top of that, we noticed that they calculated the 20% POST-tax instead of pre-tax as is custom. Also, my boyfriend was suspicious that because their tipping policy wasn't on the menu, that might not be the normal case and they profiled us or something and chose to charge us that much. Finally, we were settling our bill and 2 of my friends had to use credit cards. One asked to have $25 charged to his card while the rest would go on the other's card. The guy took forever to do it, and I'm not sure if it was accidental or if he purposely did it to be even more of a jerk, but instead of charging $25 to my friend's card, he charged 25%. :op It was a cute restaurant, loved their pesto-oil-type dipping sauce for bread, but I will never ever eat there again thanks to that service.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook