“You couldn't find a better family oriented mexican restaurant”
Review of LA Fonda

LA Fonda
Ranked #169 of 416 Restaurants in San Mateo
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This family restaurant is an institution in San Mateo. It has been here for more than 30 years. the food is great the prices reasonable and staff a great family.
Children are welcome-provided they are well behaved because they will be compared to the owners' children who practically grew up in the restaurant. They still work in the restaurant though they are very successful adults in other fields.

1  Thank irelandmm

Reviewed 19 December 2012

We normally go to a few other local Mexican food places. I have seen La Fonda and I believe we went there Years ago and I could not remember Why we did not go back. (I think back then it was only Beer & wine margaritas) We wanted to try a different place and I thought of La Fonda. It was crowded, but got a sit quickly. Food came out fairly quickly, but then that was it. We Never saw are server again, my daughter went to get out bill. They never came to pick it up, so we sent her with the credit card. Food was Fair...Chili Relleno & beef enchilada - I liked the Chilie Relleno, but the beef enchi was O.K. I did not think very authentic. I probably would try it one more time and order some kind of specialty just to see if it becomes more authentic. Otherwise, would just stick to our other two favorites. Had the Mexican Mai Tai...wish I tried there Margarita.

Reviewed 11 September 2012

Good food, drinks and service. Friendly host and wait staff.
Would return if ever in San Mateo again.

1  Thank Ralph B
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Love La Fonda. Delicious food. I really like their Cheese enchiladas. The owner lives locally and participates in the community. She always comes over and tests my son's spanish. I also like the fireplace and the stained glass. Only problem is that they aren't open on Saturday's for lunch!

1  Thank Cynthia B
Reviewed 12 October 2009

I've been going to La Fonda in San Mateo for over 30 years. It's a marvelous family owned, family run restaurant with healthy and delicious food. The delightful owners, Pablo and Maureen, will probably be there in person - and one of their grown children will probably be waiting tables. You'll probably see me there, also - I'm a one-a-week regular.

The decor is lush - stained glass windows, Mexican artwork, tile, etc. Great bar with a big tequilla selection. Very modest prices.

1  Thank JoyBeach