“Great place close to home...”
Review of Astaria - CLOSED

Astaria
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: El Camino Real
Reviewed 4 April 2012

My husband and I eat here often and always love our experience. We also had our wedding brunch here a few years ago. Service is good, food is great and the place is super cute and clean!

Reviewed 23 September 2011

I stopped by Astaria after seeing it get a decent rating in Wine Spectator. The restaurant was pretty small, but had decent decor and the staff seemed nice. I ponied up to the bar rather than get a table.

I was really surprised that the only local beer that they had on tap was Trumer (from Berkeley), though Sierra Nevada is sort of close by. I think that Wine Spectator focused on their wine selection, which was pretty decent all around but nothing to write home about. I ordered the skirt steak (the bartender said she enjoyed it), but it turned out to be a weird mix of soggy potatoes, "seasonal vegetables" (read: a few string beans and onions), and a TON of balsamic glaze that overwhelmed the whole dish. The steak itself was just fine.

There were two TVs at the bar tuned into the SF Giants game, which, when combined with the arrival of a few locals, seemed to take the attention of the bartenders. While this didn't bother me because I was eating and finishing a glass of wine (and like baseball), I can imagine that it could be annoying to someone who prefers more attentive service.

The area around the restaurant was dead on a Wednesday night. It was 8pm when I left and no one was walking around and most shops were closed. Note: it's hard to get a cab.

Alicia P, Owner at Astaria, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm glad that you appreciated our wine selection, but I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your meal. I greatly appreciate your perspective about the TV's. They can be distracting for some and enjoyable for others. We try to keep the voume down, but I understand your point completely. The Skirt steak should come with a pile of seasonal veg (which includes our mix of red and yellow pepers, carrots and onions with whatever green is in season). I will pass this along to our grill lead to make sure the balance is correct.

Kindly,
Alicia, Co-Owner, Executive Chef

Reviewed 27 July 2011

Food is pretty terrible here.

Started off with promising appetizers: Artichoke Jalapeno & Cheddar Dip was tasty, as were the Steamers. However, the Steamers had the smallest clams I've ever seen in my life.

Entrees: two of the people at our table ordered the Slow Roasted BBQ Pork Loin. Both dishes were so severely overcooked that when cutting into the pork, the knife actually slipped and made a loud noise against the plate. The pork was incredibly hard and dry. One person ordered the Seafood Risotto, which was more like a seafood paella. Not a huge deal that it's not risotto, but the dish was a little fishy and too salty. I ordered the Double Dipped, Buttermilk Soak'in Fried Chicken. Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE! I couldn't eat more than 1 of the 4 pieces. It tasted like terrible breaded chicken fingers, where the breading is fried too much and has become super hard. The chicken itself tasted like it had freezer burn. Overall the chicken didn't have much flavor. My mashed potatoes were drowning in butter. Fried chicken from the deli at Albertson's is better. KFC is FAR SUPERIOR to Astaria's Fried Chicken. No one at our table was able to finish an entree because they weren't edible.

For dessert, the carrot cake was dry and stale.

Overall pretty bad food quality. I will never come back and would not recommend this place to anyone!

Reviewed 27 July 2011

Awful. Four of us went and everyone was disappointed. Salad dressing was thick and gloppy like it came out of a bottle. Pork was incredibly overcooked; two of us had it so it wasn't a fluke. Seafood risotto was foul and fishy. This place was packed though. Most everyone was drinking. Either we all got shafted or everyone else was too drunk to notice the terrible food.

Alicia P, Owner at Astaria, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your meal here. We get all our fish fresh from local markets, so I'm surprised to hear that the risotto tasted that way. And we make all our dressings and sauces in house, so the last thing we want is for people to think it came out of a bottle. I'll make sure our staff gets your message so that we can make the necessary improvements going forward. Thanks again for your review, and I hope you give us a second chance to cook for you.

All the best,
Alicia, Owner

Reviewed 4 July 2011

all i can say is that the service is great and the food is better. when i dined here i could see the heart that went into the dishes, and not to mention the delicious wine. My wife and I will definitely be attending Astaria on a frequent basis. I wont explain any of the food that we've had because you just need to go there and see for yourself!