“One of my favorites in San Mateo”
Review of Astaria - CLOSED

Astaria
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: El Camino Real
Reviewed 26 January 2013

The soup is always homemade and rich and delicious. We've had numerous events there with family and coworkers. Always, the owners and manager are helpful and accommodating. I love the Linda Salad, and always there is a range of light as well as rich and hearty items on the menu. Good bartending as well!

Alicia P, Owner at Astaria, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Thank you so much for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm honored to know we're one of your favorite restaurants in San Mateo. From our accommodating service to our diverse menu, we want all of our guests to have a fantastic time dining with us. Looking forward to your next visit!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Great combinations of tastes. We shared the mushroon stogies, the beet salad, and the cawliflower. I had the fish tacos, and my two friends had the mushroom risotto and the butternut squash raviili. We shared the cinnamon roll bread pudding. With drinks, very reasonable. Unique set of tastes. Excellent.

Alicia P, Owner at Astaria, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We try to set ourselves apart from standard New American restaurants, so I'm pleased to hear you found our dishes unique and delicious. Looking forward to your next visit!

Best wishes,

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I had the tuna tartar and a salad. The tuna was packed full of flavor and I totally loved it!
The salad was a salad... nothing overly special. I'd go back again sometime for a glass of wine and the tuna. But it's a bit pricey for regular visits.

Alicia P, Owner at Astaria, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Thanks so much for your review. I'm glad that you thought the tuna tartar was packed with flavor. We make sure to select fresh and seasonal ingredients from local farmers and ranchers so that everything tastes flavorful. I understand that the ahi is expensive, but it is Sashimi grade. We defiintely try to balance out our menu to offer items at all different price points so that guests can enjoy the astaria experince no matter what their budget might be. Try our happy hour. It is daily from 4:00-6:30 and all day on Monday. You will ge able to try a number of our appetizers at almost half price and our house wine is only $5.25/glass. If you are a wine lover, we offer 1/2 off all of our botled wine all day onTuesdays. I hope you're able to dine with us again soon!

Best,

Reviewed 23 August 2012

My absolute only complaint is that this restaurant is not in our town so that we could eat there very regularly. The menu is very inviting and we had trouble deciding it all sounded so good. My wife ordered the pork tenderloin which was done in a honey balsamic glaze and was delicious. I had the best barbecued boneless short rib I've ever had anywhere. I changed the accompaniment from creamed corn to bacon fried yukon gold potatoes which were awesome. Both our portions were very generous. It happened to be tuesday night when wine is half price so we took advantage of this also. Every single thing about Astaria was perfect..... now if they would only expand to Arizona.

Alicia P, Owner at Astaria, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Thanks so much for your review Peter. I'm so happy to hear that you and your wife loved your dinner. Our focus is using ingredients with integrity and preparing them with the same care. What else did you want to try from the menu? If it ships well overnight I'd be happy to send it to go :). I hope you get a chance to visit us again the next time you're in California!

Take care,
Alicia, Chef, Co-Owner

Reviewed 9 August 2012 via mobile

Good food, nice atmosphere and good service. My husband enjoyed his steak with a very tasty sauce while I enjoyed the Asian salad. Worth checking out.

Alicia P, Owner at Astaria, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Thanks so much for your review! I'm glad that you and your husband enjoyed your meal. We make sure to order all our meat and produce from local farms and ranches so that everything tastes fresh. The next time you're in the neighborhood, please make sure to stop by!

All the best,