“Excellent home made and imported pasta and genuine Italian feel”
Review of Capellini Ristorante - CLOSED

Capellini Ristorante
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: “B” St. & Baldwin Ave.
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I love Italian food and was not disappointed by Capellini. We had a business dinner with a lot of variety in starters and main dishes. I had Manicotti and it was splendid. Everyone else also enjoyed theirs!

Although not a wine drinker my colleagues confirmed the wine list was good.

In summary, excellent food, selection and service.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I ate lunch here with my husband and a friend who lives in San Mateo and recommended this restaurant. Wow. As soon as we walked in the door I had a feeling we were somewhere special. The interior is nicely done and has a warm feeling.

Service was attentive but not intrusive. The food was incredibly good. The pizza was made of a thin crust and was a cut above most pizzas. The prosciutto tortellini with peas in a cream gravy was rich, yet the prosciutto did not overpower the dish, and the pasta was fresh. I regret not being able to eat dessert. The dessert menu was tempting, however, with many wonderful sounding choices.

I hope to eat here again on our next visit to San Mateo.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Capellini is a wonderful cross between the local italian place and a modern Tuscan restaurant. Wonderful service, great menu...

Randy

Reviewed 26 December 2013

My girl friend and I entered the restaurant a little before 21h00, they politely addressed us, "A table for two?" and I replied, "No, we're 3, someone else is on their way"... They immediately informed me that "the kitchen would be closing shortly and that my friend might not be able to order." That was OK, because he had already eaten and was just joining us for a drink. My girl friend and I ordered salads & shared one entree, and ordered wine by the glass. My friend arrived around 21h30, and we proceeded to talk & eat like normal human beings. Around 22h00 the waiter brought the bill, and said "No hurry".... but at 22h15 they started turning off the lights and closing up shop! I still had food on my plate and wine in my glass... but " No hurry"... 22h20 we were out the door.
I will NEVER go back there. Let the record show I've been a patron of Capellini's for ~20 years. I am a gourmet tour guide in Europe and have dined in thousands of restaurants all over the world. I live in France and have "eaten probably a thousand "Michelin stars"... and I have NEVER been treated like I was the other night.

2  Thank WGH29ES
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Mezzanine was a bit cramped (we showed up with more than we reserved) but the food and staff were excellent. Choice and price range was excellent - top notch quality for any occasion. They were great to work with and made us feel like old friends.