“Excellent Choice for Meetings or Visits Near or South of SFO” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport

San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Atlanta, Georgia
“Excellent Choice for Meetings or Visits Near or South of SFO”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

The San Mateo Marriott SFO is a very good choice when you want to be near the airport and are going to spend most of your time in the Silicon Valley area. It is easy to get to, the property is well kept, and the rooms are very comfortable.

This property has two fitness facilities: one for weight lifting, and the other with machines for cardio workouts. They are relatively close to one another. Neither is very large, and yet both are perfectly adequate and up to par with Marriott standards.

The concierge lounge is excellent. The breakfast buffet is much better than average for a Marriott in the US, and there are a variety of seating options. It was busy in the morning, and yet never felt overcrowded.

Parking is for a fee, and valet we were told runs only $2 or $3 more per day (@ $25/day) than self-service.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Ed G, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Hello AtlantaRes,

Thank you for your detailed comments from your previous visit to the San Mateo Marriott. As a team we appreciate your observations which are shared with all of our associates.
We do have a convenient location to both Silicon Valley and San Francisco International Airport. Thank you for recognizing our two separate fitness area’s which most guest appreciate and you may not have had the opportunity to jump into the outdoor pool and hot tub. As for the concierge lounge we are typically rated among the top in this area hosted by Mimi and JR daily. Sous Chef Hani and his team take great pride in the food preparation which is definitely worth the upgrade.

Since its baseball season and I formerly resided in Woodstock, GA I would be remiss if I didn’t give a shout out for my team “GO BRAVES”!!

Please let me know if I can help the next time you come to the bay area.

(650) 653-6052

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I've stayed here on business for two nights. The hotel is a typical Marriott. Nice rooms; comfortable beds. Nice lobby with a bar. The hotel is about a mile from San Mateo downtown with lots of shops/restaurants. Otherwise, there's nothing around it within easy walking distance.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Ed G, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Hello WhirlwindTravel,

I appreciate your time and thank you for providing feedback from your recent visit to the San Mateo Marriott.

I agree with you as well in that our rooms are very nice with comfortable beds. Our lobby is a good place to lounge and meet your visitors or family and Bobby at the bar is ready to serve your favorite drink. We are a quick drive to downtown San Mateo with seemingly endless supply of restaurants but I’d suggest a stop to the California Grill first to checkout our menu.

We look forward to hosting your next visit please let me know if I can help with any future reservations.

Cheers,

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hotel is a great Marriott property with an awesome Cali feel. The Front Desk staff was very accommodating, getting me into my room early and the restaurant staff was helpful and smiling every time someone passed their way, Valet guys opened the door every time I entered and the van drivers were very courteous. Great experience, I will be sure to be back.

Hello Heidi A,

I want to say thank you for taking a few minutes out of your day to share your thoughts about your recent visit. Your comments have been shared with our associates at our morning meeting.

It all starts at the front drive with Joey and Reynaldo opening doors and greeting all of our guests. The front desk team led by Jamie and Shawn take great pride in being as helpful as possible from room types & locations to directions and restaurant recommendations. I’m happy to read that you had such a great experience visiting the San Mateo Marriott.

I’ll be more than happy to assist with a reservation the next time you’re in town.

Oakley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I recently stayed at the Marriott Hotel in San Mateo California. Front Desk Staff A+, Bartender A+, over all service and friendliness A+. I especially liked the friendliness. I was having a bit of a bad travel experience, but when i checked in i was made to feel as if I was being welcomed home! Worth giving this hotel a shot. Not really convenient to tourist destinations though. Still, service is off the chart good! I was even greeted with a smile by housekeeping on the way to breakfast, who gets that?

Room Tip: Ask to overlook the courtyard or pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hello JED3213,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent trip to the San Mateo Marriott. Your opinions are important and of great value in making improvements to our service culture and execution.

Well I like your grading system! I do think we have one of the best teams in the bay area associates like Shawn and Gpreet at the front desk along with Doug and Ava at the bar are just a few of the great people you saw while you visited. Having you acknowledge our friendly housekeepers is truly the icing on the cake. While we continue to be a work in progress I appreciate the kind words on behalf of my team.

Please let me know when you’ll be coming back to your bay area home and I’ll help in whatever way I can.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel was nice, clean, updated and had a friendly staff. The food at the restaurant was good - my whole group liked the egg white frittatas for breakfast.

I wasn't paying for it, so the $350 a night and higher priced menu at the restaurant did not make a difference for my trip.

The concierge level was nice, breakfast selection was good and they had snacks all day.

It is about 15 from the airport and 10 min from downtown San Mateo.

I do think my coworkers paid for parking, so you might want to check on that.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ed G, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Hello ljrdesign,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the San Mateo Marriott. I read through all of the comments and share them with my team.

I believe we have a friendly staff as well with Daniel, Princess and Jamie always willing to assist you with questions and requests. Executive Sous Chef Vincent Ong and his team take great pride in the quality of food that is prepared in the California Grill. As for the Concierge Lounge its well worth the upgrade with Mimi and JR providing exceptional service and our food selection has often been rated at the top.

We hope you’ll visit us again soon please let me know if I can assist with any future reservations or questions.

edgunderson@sbcglobal.ent
Charlottesville VA USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

While among the larger non-high rise Marriotts, it's much quieter and saner here that in the various hotels just south of the airport. This place has been here a while but has been kept up nicely. Typical Marriott -- great people, good accommodations, easy to do business with. Because so many larger places have popped up in that corridor of highway 101, their prices are seemingly more moderate than many of their peers. Note: navigating here by car isn't intuitive from the nearby freeways, but any GPS can competently get you here.

Room Tip: I travel a lot and typically skip the "concierge floor" options. But this is the exception...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ed G, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Hello JTworldtraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent trip to the San Mateo Marriott. We really do value your opinions and input and the time you take from what I’m sure is a busy schedule.

I agree with you in that our layout is quite different from the typical high rise hotel with the feeling of open space. We believe our people make the difference from CJ upon arrival, to Nick at the front desk and certainly Mimi in the concierge lounge all wanting to serve. You can see us from the Hi-way 101 upon exiting and GPS is certainly helpful in making all the right turns.

Please let me know if I can assist with any future reservations or questions.

edgunderson@sbcglobal.ent
Elon, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We have stayed at this property on four separate occasions and found it to be a good property, but the last time we were here we did have an issue with the noise from the workout rooms. They had upgraded us to a king suite and we were right next to the workout room. The workout facilities have free weights, which normally I would acknowledge to be positive. Unfortunately the workout room is open 24 hours, and two people were in there from 2-3:30 and we could hear them dropping waits and watching TV. We did bring this to the attention of the staff, and the next morning they moved us to a different room. The next day we were in Santa Cruz for the day, and when we returned the room had not been cleaned. I brought this to the attention of Shawn at the front desk and he immediately acted to rectify the problem, and he even sent up chocolate covered strawberries and credited us for the parking fees for the two days. I rated the property average because we had a bad night and a good night. I did appreciate Shawn's attention to all of the issues.

Room Tip: I would try and get a room as far away from the common facilities.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ed G, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Geoff O.,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent visit your time and feedback is very much appreciated.

As you know from staying with preciously we have an expansive property and rooms in varying locations. Please accept my apologies for the noise you experienced being placed next to the fitness center during your stay. I’m happy to see that Shawn made a concerted effort to take care of you prior to check-out but certainly nothing can take away the noise disturbance.

I would appreciate the opportunity to assist you with a future reservation please feel free to contact me directly at (650) 653-6052 if I can be of any help.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
BEST WESTERN Coyote Point Inn
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO

Been to San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!