“A little hidden...”

San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The hotel is a few turns off of 101. When you follow GPS it suggests you turn in behind the hotel where there isn't an entrance, so when you see the first Marriott sign keep going to the front of the hotel. The gym is packed in the morning. Even if you go at 6:00am you'll have to wait for a treadmill. The hotel is a bit old looking.

Room Tip: I didn't spend much time in the room. It did have a large open living room area.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

For the price, our room was massive! The hotel was very clean and the staff was very courteous. Of all the places we stayed in the SF area during our trip, this was the nicest (even nicer than hotels that cost $400+ per night). I will definitely stay here again if we are ever in the area again.
We loved that this was a short 15 minute drive from Palo Alto, which we wouldn't have thought to visit if we had not found this place for a mere $130/night. Parking is $20+ per night, but you can shuttle to the airport and take the Bart to the city to avoid parking costs and rental car costs.
Great place, great value. We're thrilled!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 17 April 2014

On my last stay I had requested a room I always stay in, Luiz was delivering an amenity to my room prior to my arrival and realized it was not the regular room I always stay in. He went to the front desk and had me moved to my regular room before my arrival. Everyone I encounter at this property is very friendly and always remember my name. Luiz, Alfredo, Mimi, Craig -- they all show great customer service.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

With a good room, internet connections needs attention, a happy bar, if you are in the area of San Mateo do not hesitate to be here. The rate is fair, the service is good, but do not expect any 4 stars services. They have a Starbucks in the lobby and a good selection of Californian wines.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FernandoFaria
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stay in Marriotts all the time and have come to have a certain view of the properties, Typically, when I am in the Southern San Francisco area, I stay at the Marriott Courtyard in Foster City. It was not available during my most recent trip, so I chose this hotel. For the value, I do not plan on ever staying here again, if I can help it.
Even as an Elite member, I think they put me into the smallest room possible, it was supposed to be a concierge level king, but I have stayed in hotel rooms in NYC that are bigger than this room. The bed takes up the entire room and you can't even walk around the bed without angling your way. The closet was a 1/2 size - totally disappointing. You even have to pay to park and use the internet. At the Courtyard, the rooms are generous in size and parking and internet is free. I know where I am staying next time.

Room Tip: Do NOT get put into one of the corner rooms on the first floor - ridiculously small.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Ed G, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear TereFang,

I appreciate your time and providing your insights from your previous visit to the San Mateo Marriott. We definitely have a number of different room types and sizes throughout the hotel with some room more generous than others. You are correct as advertised on our website there is a charge for parking and internet service although the latter is complimentary in the lobby area. Our survey from the beginning of the year indicated we are in line with full service hotels in the SFO area and I will conduct a follow-up survey to confirm this information.

Cordially,

Ed Gunderson
edg@marriott-sanmateo.com
(650) 653-6052

Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband and I reserved our wedding room block at the San Mateo Marriott and we were so glad that we did! Not only is the hotel gorgeous, but it is well run and we didn't experience any problems. The staff is all very friendly and always willing to help out and ensure that our guests had a great stay. We stayed in one of their loft suites and it was absolutely stunning. When we came back from the wedding, we were able to catch the last call at the hotel bar and they were able to accommodate us in another room in the lobby so we could still hang out together. The catering staff that we worked with, particularly Joy and Steve, were responsive, friendly, and accommodating. I would recommend this hotel for just about any occasion, big groups, couples, families, etc.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I want to make clear that I did not stay at the hotel, thank goodness, because the report I got from those who did were very not enthusiastic. I was there however for a celebration of life. We were expecting 200 to 300 people. The hotel double booked the room and their answer was to ask that the host change the time for the celebration after invitations had been extended. Finally the solution was to have an hour in their lounge which had us spilling into their lobby. They provided one bartender, remember 200-300 people. There were passed appetizers that lacked any taste. The sliders were straight from McDonalds, the crab cakes, sans crab, the empanadas tough and the shrimp from the frozen food case. Now before you think I am snooty remember this was not a cheap event. After an hour we were moved into the room that had been booked. There were carving tables set up, but again with no style and no taste and again for 200-300 people with one bartender. The hotel is seriously understaffed and the staff they have need training. It costs nothing to give exceptional service. Now lets gets go back to the lobby. It is outdated and needs a facelift. The lobby bathroom lacked ventilation and was not well maintained. If you need a place near the airport there are far better choices!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Byron R,

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding several of our quality components. The areas that you pointed out have been reviewed with the appropriate managers and addressed as needed. With respect to the facelift we are in fact renovating all of the meeting space which will be completed by May 21st.

Please accept my apologies for our shortfalls during your visit to the Marriott San Mateo. I believe you were likely attending the memorial service and we extend our sincere sympathies for your immeasurable loss. If you would like to contact me you can reach me at the email address or phone number below.

Cordially,

Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO

Been to San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!