“Decent Biz hotel”

San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Solid convention hotel -- thin walls so you can hear neighbors -- suited to large groups or a quick, centralized San Mateo stay.
$22 self park, no free internet, long walk to front desk -- good beds.
As a place for a couple -- it was decent but nothing special.

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I travel here frequently on business and find that I seldom, if ever , find any unpleasent surprises in any of my visits. Service, the rooms and food are all great and reliable. Room service staff is freindly and professional and the hotel staff in general is accomodating to any speacial requests. The rooms are sapcious, clean and well appointed.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have generally stayed here once or twice a year. Once a year we would stay here overnight before flying on to the east coast and once a year we would stay here to attend meetings in the area.
About 10 mins from the airport. There is a free shuttle at the airport and it is a quick trip down the freeway. Nice entry area, restaurant is ok, suitable gym with weights and cardio room.
We always found the staff pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed here one night in May before airport. Overall, it's a decent hotel. Pretty spacious rooms (although I got upgraded to a suite). The furniture and décor inside the rooms are a bit outdated and could use an upgrade. The lobby is very nice and the Executive Lounge is really nice - modern, huge, variety of foods and drinks, etc.

I'd stay here again - it was worth it. The staff were also very friendly!

Shuttle runs every hour on the hour (I was hoping for 30 minutes, though). It's about a 15-20 minute shuttle ride to SFO with no airport.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I usually stay closer to airport row or downtown SF but wanted to be as close to the SM Event center as possible. This is a very convenient location, nice rooms, good food and great staff at every level. I would certainly stay here again. Concierge floor, if available, is one of the better ones I have experienced. Their evening offering when I was there was a full meal easily - tender steak slices, potatoes, crudites, desserts, etc. / breakfast was very good and honor bar to pour your own drinks at a reasonable price. Only downside was confusion with their computer billing /reservation system but they certainly tried their hardest to correct. A small shopping area is within walking distance and it is an easy on/off to freeways for almost any direction. Even though freeway is right next to hotel property, I never heard it inside the property and slept soundly.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at San Mateo Marriott recently and overall I was happy with it. It is right off the 101, quick 15 min drive from SFO. Convenient to South San Francisco offices. The staff was so friendly and helpful, better than most.

The first room i checked into had a moldy smell coming from the A/C. They quickly moved me to another room, without making me go back down to the front desk. They arrived at the room with a key and escorted me to the new room. Even stayed to ensure I was happy with it. The room was nicely appointed, and the bed at Marriott never disappoints. I enjoyed the Keurig coffee maker in my room very much. The lobby is beautiful; the restaurant was great, as was the Starbucks.

Downsides - rooms could use some new paint, new upholstery; hallways and elevator need a refresh. In addition to the moldy smell in the first room, the second room had a heating issue. (BUT, they fixed it right away). At $300+ a night, I think the Internet should be free. But overall I enjoyed my stay and would book here again.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

$22 for parking, 12.95 for wired internet, with no warning me that they are going to charge me until I saw noticed a piece of paper on the side. I mean, you can't force me to at least click "ok" before I start using it? That's basically $35 dollars you are paying more, so just be aware when you are comparing prices. $5 for water. No refrigerator, I don't know about the coffee but I'm afraid to use it, it really ends up ruining your stay.

The room was reasonably nice and spacious at least, and grounds aren't bad, although I wouldn't walk around outside, there were some doubtful people in the 7-11 across the street at 8pm.

Anyway, it was a mixed bag. Not the worst hotel, but I think I'll shop around a bit and try another place next time.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1 mi away
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Best Western Coyote Point Inn

Been to San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!