“spacious and safe, perhaps a free upgrade that I didn't know of ?”

San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed 8 October 2010

So my husband came to join me after I finished my trip in Silicon valley and we stayed at this Marriott. Good thing being, really surprised by the size of the room they gave me! So spacious, even with a pool view. Later think to myself, maybe there was a free upgrade? since I booked through priceline.com with a great deal of $74 a night (incl. tax) and they gave me that! But of course, the parking costs $18 which ended up $92 which I guess sounded more normal instead of looked like a bargain.
Overall, pleasant stay, comfy bed, spacious room, HD flat screen TV, quiet and ample parking, for one night stay, what more could you ask for?

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2010

Dear babyjojo,

It's exciting to hear that you felt as though a free upgrade had been arranged without your knowledge! That certainly is quite a compliment and speaks volumes about all that we have to offer at affordable rates. Thank you for completing the review on our hotel. We appreciate all of the lovely pictures that you included also. We look forward to welcoming you back to the San Mateo Marriott/San Francisco Airport again soon!

Regards,

Reviewed 8 October 2010

We travel to sportsmen's shows and stay at this hotel when in San Mateo. It has the most comfortable beds, quiet rooms, quality exercise room, warm cookies, free wifi in coffee shop, close to shopping and downtown restaurants, the greatest staff, water and apples in the exercise rooms, great jacuzzi. Overall, very pleasant staff and great quality and service.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Dear AlaskaSheri,

Thank you very much for your great review! We are pleased to hear that we are your choice in accommodations when visiting the San Mateo area and appreciate all of your kind remarks. Your feedback is extremely important to us, as we are focused on consistently delivering an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We are so glad you enjoy our friendly and helpful customer service, convenient location and, of course, our comfy beds. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 October 2010

if you want breakfast at the hotel...18 bucks. If you want to make a few local calls....BIG money!! If you want internet in your room...COUGH it up! When you check out be prepared for a HUGE bill with lots of hidden charges. The Asian guy at the front counter is extremely rude and should not be the face of the hotel. The manager of the restaurant is rude. Otherwise, the room is clean, the shuttle is somewhat timely but be prepared to tip if you want any travel information etc. Also, if you are staying her to tour San Francisco you will spend HUNDREDS to get to and from on the Bart train and other public transportation. I would stay somewhere else and pay a little more for a more inclusive experience. I like to know what things are going to cost me.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoannaO
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2010

Dear RoannaO,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for completing the review on our hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced in regard to the communications you mentioned you had with our front desk staff member and restaurant manager. We are currently looking into each incident, and will address them appropriately. Our entire team is committed to serving each of our guests with a very high level of customer service, and we're sorry that we failed to deliver that to you. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will reconsider giving us another opportunity to accommodate you.

Reviewed 26 September 2010

I have to admit, there were a few nice touches. The rooms were large and I appreciated the power strips that allowed me to plug in my laptop as well as my cell phone charger. Having said that, the walls are paper thin and there is nonstop noise throughout the night. There was a stairwell door next to my room which needed serious WD40 treatment as it squeaked horribly and slammed very loudly. At 4:15 a.m. the cleaning crew proceeded to beat rugs and vacuum. Then there was the painting crew scraping wood right outside my room at some unholy hour. Not exactly conducive to a good night's sleep before two days' worth of meetings. Next time, I'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Dear Taxlass23,

Please accept our apologies. We are extremely sorry to hear that a painting crew was somehow able to get a very early start on their day and disrupted your sleep. There are standards and procedures that every third party vendor must agree to and follow, and we have taken the necessary steps into looking into this incident further. We do hope that the nice touches you enjoyed at our hotel will give us another opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Reviewed 16 September 2010

I am currently staying at Marriott right now. The room is large and the bathroom has lots of counter space. However, I am very upset over the parking charges and the Internet charges. The parking lot charge seems especially excessive given the lack of security in the parking area and the huge number of parking spaces. At the front desk, I was not offered help with my bags, either and I had to drag everything from the car myself.
And, please stop charging for the Internet! It should be included in the room rate, especially when the room rate is $200 a night or more.
Also, the first floor rooms feel unsafe, due to the windows that open to the parking lot. Please try and avoid the freeway side, which would be noisy as well. Mariott, please stop charging us for parking and the Internet!
Thanks for reading.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BelgianSheepdogGirl
Reviewed 13 September 2010

We have been to several Marriotts and find the accomodations inconsistent. Within this hotel not all of the rooms have been upgraded. Some rooms have older furnishings with older bulky TV's, few outlets for electronics and a worn look. The newly furnished rooms have the contemporary furniture that I have seen in other Marriotts that I find pleasing and functional. They new rooms also have flat panel TVs.Stay away from the elevators and front door. Staff did work with us to change room from one next to elevator. The additional cost of $18.00 for parking does not seem reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingDishman
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We recently returned to this hotel, thanks to Priceline.com. We liked it the last time we stayed and we liked it again this time. It was clean, and oh so comfortable. The beds were fabulous, I had a great night's sleep.
We were only there for one night and had a birthday party,baby shower and soccer game to watch in our agenda. We wanted to go back to the hotel and just relax as it was quiet and relaxing even though there were weddings and training seminars going on while we were there.
Pros: large clean comfortable rooms with all the modern amenities.
Cons: The service is ok, not exceptional, I got the feeling the employees were trying to look professional by putting on a "bored" exterior. Even so, I would still stay there again.
One other "con" the parking was $18, certainly we have paid more for parking at other hotels, but our car was the only one in our section of the lot...

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2010

Dear Mabg40,

Thank you for your recent review on our San Mateo/San Francisco hotel. It's great to hear of your comfort in your room and that you had a great night's sleep! We are, however, disappointed to hear that our customer service was not exceptional. We are very proud of our dedication to delivering superior customer service to all of our guests, and apologize for failing to do so. We're pleased to hear that you would stay with us again and look forward to the opportunity to exceed your expectations during your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO

Been to San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!