“OK place to stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Foresthill, California
“OK place to stay”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We originally had 2 in our room, but another couple joined us so they upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite for a nominal fee. Because it was going to be a 3 night stay, I thought they would have stocked the "kitchenette", but I was mistaken. Thankfully, we brought our own plastic utensils, paper plates, glasses, even napkins! There was nothing to do dishes with. There was a small coffee maker, small microwave and small refrigerator. Those were very helpful, but not what I would have expected.
As for the bathroom, every day I had to call for additional towels because they would only leave 3 bath towels for 4 people.
Other than the above, the room was alright. The bed was VERY comfortable!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
FOM_HISM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Vanessa K,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you again when you're in the San Mateo or SFO areas.

Happy Holidays!

Travis N
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
Brasileia, AC
Reviewed 28 November 2013

This is a nice hotel and well run by its managers. If you are looking for this class of hotel, close and convent to both the city and the airport, then you can't go wrong with the Holiday-Inn hotel in San Mateo. Plenty of places around the hotel to get a bite to eat. And great running along the bay if you're looking to get a work-out in.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stuck at SFO until tomorrow which is how I ended up here. I called the hotel from the pickup area at the airport and the shuttle van was there within less than 10-minutes. Check-in was a bit of a hassle but not unpleasant. I waited 15 minutes in line to get checked in to a room. The lobby was very small. The entry carpet needed to be vacuumed badly but the lobby was clean and bright.
I arrived too late by mere minutes to eat in their bistro restaurant, however Manuel (who was cleaning up in the restaurant) was wonderful. I told him of the hectic day I had and though the restaurant was closed and the chef had just left, he took the time to piece together what he could for me to eat so that I could return to my room to rest. Manuel was just the positive customer service experience I needed after such a challenging day.
The hallways to the rooms were very clean as was the small elevator. This Holiday Inn has been renovated quite nicely. The room was spacious and clean with a very nice and open bathroom and a small kitchen table with 2 chairs. There was no refrigerator or microwave in the room. There were some stains on the carpet in my room but nothing too bad. Though the bedding was clean, the decorative mattress box covers were very dirty on both beds, with several obvious stains. Out of place and gross, especially with everything else being so clean.
There's laundry facilities on the main floor ($1.25 to wash and $1.25 to dry). There's ice machines as well as vending machines on each floor and all of the public areas were clean and tidy.
It is true what the reviews state about the free wifi; It boots you off every couple of minutes and you spend most of your time online re-entering the access code and logging back in.
There is nothing in the area by way of a grocery store or a place to eat within a decent walking distance (aside from their restaurant on site). I ventured out to walk the 10-minutes they said it would take to reach a CVS and a Safeway, but after only a few minutes I returned to the hotel as I didn't feel safe walking in the area.
This hotel is directly off of the freeway and though I could see the freeway from my room, I could not hear any noise. This hotel seems to have proper insulation as I did not hear any guests in surrounding rooms.
Overall this hotel was better than I expected.

• Stayed November 2013
San Carlos, California
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was here end of last month I enjoyed everything thoroughly, service was great, very clean room, nice staff especially Rema at the front desk who graciously and professional checked me in. I really appreciate here customer service. The WIFI connection was not great. I enjoyed my stay and will be back again without hesitation. I did not try the restaurant this time but I will the next time.

Room Tip: "Rooms on the south side are quieter" "Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Trumansburg, New York
Reviewed 29 October 2013

After flying in late from the East Coast, and getting our rental car, we just wanted to settle into our room and have some dinner. The kitchen in the hotel, Bistro 330, was minutes from closing but the guys working were truly wonderful and stayed to cook us some burgers and fries - thanks so much for the great hospitality, guys! You don't know how much it meant for us to have those great burgers and cold beers!

The room was perfect, it provided us with the restful night of sleep we needed before starting our slightly delayed trip!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Yuba City
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Room was really clean and nice. But for $315.00 I expected the rooms wifi to at least work. The tech support never answered. It was suppose to be 24/7. Unfortunately it wasn't. Other then that it was fine.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Catherine M
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The hotel is super close to 101 but didn't seem to be overly affected by the noise from the freeway, and I had a room on the 4th floor with a window pointing towards the 101. Overall the hotel is pretty modern so everything I saw was clean and tidy. The reception is small but the welcoming warm. It was quite a trek to my room (1420). The room itself was on the larger side but unfortunately it was stifling hot in the room and the small wall A/C struggled to make a dent on the heat. After a while the A/C inexplicably cut out, only to come on 15 when I moved to see what was going on. It turns out that the hotel has been bitten by the 'going green bug' at the expense of customers comfort. There was a small box between the A/C outlet on the wall and the cord for the A/C with "Smart Systems" written on it. Turns out this box automatically cuts the power on and off to the wall unit depending on whether a smart IR sensor thinks there is someone in the room. All well and good except that it turns it off when you are sitting still such as working or watching TV or when sleeping. Really Hotels with these kinds of devices need to be put on some kind of travelers blacklist. The other problem with the A/C was that it was very loud. I ate in the restaurant, the food was OK, but I saw two fellow diners who walked away with most of the food uneaten and another sent it back as it was not as ordered.
Unfortunately my list of issues with this hotel also extends to the WIFI. In my room I got a 2 out of 5 signal and despite trying to connect on an iPad, a PC and an Android phone, not one of them would keep the connection for more than a few minutes, and when they were connected the bandwidth appeared to be less than you would get with a dial-up modem. Others have commented on this so I resorted to using my phone as a WIFI hotspot. The hotel need to address the issue. I understand it is free but in this case it is unusable.

Room Tip: High room facing away from 101 would be best.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tim F
FOM_HISM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Tim F,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us! I am glad that you enjoyed the room, and am sorry to hear that the A/C in your room wasn't working as desired. I will be sharing your review with the maintenance team, to see if we can adjust the sensitivity on the thermostat, as your comfort is our #1 priority. We are aware that the wireless has issues, and since the hotel changed ownership last month, it is one of the highest priorities on our list of the amenities to upgrade. Thank you again for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn and Suites San Mateo, and we hope you will consider us again the next time you are in the San Mateo SFO area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport
San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport

Been to Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!