“Quite disappointed...no internet, long walk to room, etc.”

Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Quite disappointed...no internet, long walk to room, etc.”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This hotel cost me almost a hundred bucks in mobile charges because the internet was so slow, it was unusable. It took more than 10 minutes to load a simple home page like google. A hard line connection did not help. Staff simply shrugged and said oh well.

Also had some issues on checkout, because i forgot too (my fault) and so called in from airport to check out...and the girl could not spell my name for a receipt to be emailed. Umm...pretty sure its on the room details my dear.

Finally, layout is brutal long walk to get to you room, and room is set to be very cold. All in all, a sad stay for almost two hundred bucks a night.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
FOM_HISanMateo, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear JohnnyGambler,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, and for choosing the Holiday Inn and Suites in San Mateo for your recent trip. During your stay, we were in the process of upgrading our wireless internet services, which resulted in slower speeds than normal as they were disconnecting and connecting all of the new equipment. We are proud to say that our system has been improved 110% and is faster than ever. As far as the receipt, upon looking into your reservation, they did have your last name originally spelled wrong with a P instead of a T, which was corrected. We do hope that you will consider the Holiday Inn and Suites San Mateo on your next trip, to show you the level of service and the improved internet that you have come to expect.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
Salisbury, UK
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This hotel offers free internet .. except it just doesn't work. I have been staying for 2 nights and have 2 more to go. Despite being in the heart of Silicon Valley this hotel offers an incredibly unreliable internet experience. The first night it was up and down like a yoyo - and the second it was non existent. As an international traveller this means I have incurred additional cost from calls because I cannot use the internet - and significant frustration because I have not been able to work. My firm recommended this hotel but I will not return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Will E,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, and I am very sorry for the issues you encountered with our wireless system while we were upgrading. It is fully functional now, and we are pleased with the faster speeds and improved connections for all of our guests. We do hope that you will consider the Holiday Inn and Suites San Mateo on your next visit to the area to experience the improvements.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The hotel is good and the Staff (Rema & team) was very helpful through out my stay. They helped me with the booking even though I arrived a day early.

Hotel is in a good location.

Will for sure stay here again if I return to San Mateo

Shreekanth. V

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed just for 2days, and i'm so happy, never expected that this one is excellent. The hotel is so clean, our bed is really comfortable,we have 2 queen beds and the room is so spacious. Shower and toilet, you couldn't ask for more. Clean towels everyday and provided Nespresso. What you will experience in a five star accomodation, you can have it here. The front desk, not so happy, she's not very helpful. I came to have our key re-set coz we can't get in our room i asked her about Wi-fi, since i can't use it, she said to just register or what. But, in spite of this, still i highly recommend this hotel, its close to the airport,there's a work area, a sofa, and its huge....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
FOM_HISanMateo, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Maganda0411,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we were able to provide a wonderful experience during your stay. It does trouble me to hear of the experience you encountered with one of our team members, and I have sent you a private message to get more information on the situation. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Minnesota
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I don't expect too much from a Holiday Inn, but this one is nice. The staff was average upon check-in. I think the clerk was new as she forgot to give me a key, and when I asked for one she gave me the master key for all of the rooms. The rooms have been nicely updated. The beds were good, the pillows not so much. The room was very clean except for a glass ring on the counter.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
FOM_HISanMateo, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear MinnesotaRandy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We do value all feedback both negative and positive as it helps us to see how we are doing in all areas. I have sent you a private message to get more info on your stay, as we would like to follow up on the key issue that you mentioned. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to see you again soon!

Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This hotel is clean, convenient, and welcoming. The great restaurant located in the lobby area as well as a washer/dryer for your convenience as well. There is delicious fruited water, the fruit changes each day, to refresh you while you wait for your spacious and emaculate rooms. The hotel offers an office area with two computers as well as a clean and spacious exericise room with treadmills and cable television. There is a jacuzzi and sauna. Ample parking and special parking for handicapped patrons are provided. The best part of the stay is the accommodating, kind, friendly and helpful staff. They will find a perfect room for you and the family. It will always be neat and clean. The front desk staff are amazing, Rema, Mirella, Paola, Cristine and Fatima will ensure your stay is pleasant. They are experts at travel in the area. As a guest, you also get discount tickets for the restaurant. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in San Mateo but the Holiday Inn and Suites!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are quiet. There is a room for handicapped on the second floor.
Green Features: I don't know. I just wanted comfort. They gave it to me.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
FOM_HISanMateo, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear L P,

Thank you for such a wonderful review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and that our staff were friendly and accommodating to you. We appreciate you taking the time to mention our team members as well, and will be sharing your comments with them. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to San Mateo!

London
Reviewed 20 March 2014

You don't really expect much from a Holiday Inn near the airport with some negative reviews on TA. But I was pleasantly surprised by this particular Holiday Inn.

Front Desk
The front office staff were friendly and professional, with plenty of advice

Room
The rooms are very large, with a work area, sofa and a king sized bed. The room and the public areas looked to be recently renovated, in a quality way.

Location
Close to the airport, and there is a large shopping mall about 5 mins away by car. Its right on the 101.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport
San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel
Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport - Burlingame
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport

Been to Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!