“Surprisingly nice”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami
“Surprisingly nice”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Haven't stayed in too many Holiday Inn's, but glad that I made the exception for this one. We chose it mainly due to the location and decent Tripadvisor reviews. Location was right off of the 101, although it is a little funky getting on and off the highway to the hotel. If you are going north on the 101, the exit drops you off literally at the doorstep. Going south on the 101 requires a little maneuvering, but still doable.

We has a suite, which was quite spacious for the price. The room was very quiet on the 4th floor, tucked in the corner. Internet connection was excellent and internet was free, as it should be in Silicon Valley. Do not expect any 4 star extras, but this is a solid 3 star property. Room and interior of the hotel are well maintained. General area doesn't look inviting, but just a block away is a clean middle class residential neighborhood.

Staff was always pleasant and helpful, not that we needed too much during our stay. In summary, I can recommend this hotel, especially if you need a convenient location to San Mateo.

Room Tip: We were in 4017, a corner suite which was quiet, but had very good internet connection.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank twhite4809
FOM_HISanMateo, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear twhite4809,

We are so glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! We hope to see you again in the near future!

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Nice and helpful personnel like the ones I met at this hotel are always greatly appreciated, specially after a long flight. Hotel rooms are spacious and contain what one may need. WiFi was temporarily off but was fixed later in the day. I also enjoyed the bar and the breakfast lounge. I had nothing to complain about other than the fact that all hotels in this area appear to be over priced and the air condition was a bit noisy.

Room Tip: My room located on the west side of third floor was quiet.
1 Thank boroushan
Dear WandererBo,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! I am so glad to hear that the staff were helpful to you during your stay. We all hope to see you again on your next visit to the area!

Alexandria
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

From the moment you walk into this hotel, you feel like you will be taken care of. We stayed here twice and both times, the staff were incredibly helpful. Rema, in particular, is a joy, but all of the staff were great. The rooms were quite large and comfortable. The on-site restaurant has what you need if you don't want to venture out of the hotel. Even though the hotel is located just off the highway, you don't hear the car noise. Nice easy commute into San Francisco and Palo Alto. I will definitely consider staying at this hotel the next time I'm in the area.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CyrusMoo
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Rema was very helpful at my stay at the hotel. She was able to help me through some bumps in the road with the room and the hotel services.

Hotel management should have done a better job with the tv/cable disruptions and wifi.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This hotel cost me almost a hundred bucks in mobile charges because the internet was so slow, it was unusable. It took more than 10 minutes to load a simple home page like google. A hard line connection did not help. Staff simply shrugged and said oh well.

Also had some issues on checkout, because i forgot too (my fault) and so called in from airport to check out...and the girl could not spell my name for a receipt to be emailed. Umm...pretty sure its on the room details my dear.

Finally, layout is brutal long walk to get to you room, and room is set to be very cold. All in all, a sad stay for almost two hundred bucks a night.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
FOM_HISanMateo, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear JohnnyGambler,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, and for choosing the Holiday Inn and Suites in San Mateo for your recent trip. During your stay, we were in the process of upgrading our wireless internet services, which resulted in slower speeds than normal as they were disconnecting and connecting all of the new equipment. We are proud to say that our system has been improved 110% and is faster than ever. As far as the receipt, upon looking into your reservation, they did have your last name originally spelled wrong with a P instead of a T, which was corrected. We do hope that you will consider the Holiday Inn and Suites San Mateo on your next trip, to show you the level of service and the improved internet that you have come to expect.

Salisbury, UK
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This hotel offers free internet .. except it just doesn't work. I have been staying for 2 nights and have 2 more to go. Despite being in the heart of Silicon Valley this hotel offers an incredibly unreliable internet experience. The first night it was up and down like a yoyo - and the second it was non existent. As an international traveller this means I have incurred additional cost from calls because I cannot use the internet - and significant frustration because I have not been able to work. My firm recommended this hotel but I will not return.

Dear Will E,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, and I am very sorry for the issues you encountered with our wireless system while we were upgrading. It is fully functional now, and we are pleased with the faster speeds and improved connections for all of our guests. We do hope that you will consider the Holiday Inn and Suites San Mateo on your next visit to the area to experience the improvements.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The hotel is good and the Staff (Rema & team) was very helpful through out my stay. They helped me with the booking even though I arrived a day early.

Hotel is in a good location.

Will for sure stay here again if I return to San Mateo

Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton San Francisco Airport
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco Airport / Burlingame

Been to Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!