“Very nice stay”

Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We stayed at the Holiday Inn and Suites San Mateo the night before our early morning flight out of SFO. It was convenient to the airport (about 6 miles). The rooms are HUGE, very clean, and VERY reasonably priced (I think our rate was 96 for a king). Our room faced a lot of other rooms and was absolutely silent. We got a wonderful night's sleep. The people at the desk were efficient and friendly. The only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't open my window to let in some fresh air but there was air conditioning so we turned that on for the first time during our trip to No. California/San Francisco. Not a place to stay if you want to get a taste of San Francisco/Bay Area but definitely a place to stay if you're looking to save money and get to the airport in the a.m. If you go left out of the hotel's lot and turn right at the 4th stop sign you will soon arrive at downtown San Mateo. We ate at the Central Park Bistro where the food was fabulous and beautifully presented. I will post a review of that soon.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 August 2010

My wife, two teen daughters and I stayed here the night before we flew out of SFO. Hotel is right next to freeway, five minuteds from SFO but room was very quiet and the largest hotel room we'd had during a week in California. Free wifi worked fine, beds very comfortable, hotel clean and well maintained. A free continental breakfast would be nice but the room rate was a good value, even withouy breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We are planning our relocation to the area and were house hunting. We stayed with my wife and our two children for over a week at this hotel for its convenient location and pretty good reviews. At first, we thought it was really good - new and large rooms and clean environment. We had two very serious issues with this establishment, though.

One involved a night attendant. At 2:30am, I went to rest room, but the toilet got cloged up and then flooded the entire bathroom. I used all the towels we had in the room, and then went downstairs to seek help. All I needed was a plunger, but the night attendant was completely unaware of what to do and could not locate the plunger. He proceeded to tell me that we are going to have to wait until the morning to get that fixed. I asked if there is any other room available near our room so that we can just use its bath room, but his response was it is going to cost $250/night for that room. When I told him that is not acceptable, his response was "YOU caused it to clog up, didn't you?". I just had to laugh!

The other incident involved the luggage storage. We were going to check out for 5 days, and then come back again for about a week at this location. We asked a girl at the front desk if we can leave a luggage and a golf bag (so that we don't have to carry them around for 5 days), she gave us a straight NO answer, and proceeded to tell us, "We don't do carry ons", whatever that meant. Needless to say, we cancelled our reservation, and made another reservation at a nearby hotel which gladly stored our luggage and a golf bag.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank nu753058
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I"m in the Bay Area two weeks out of every month on business and since the Holiday Inn San Mateo open its been my favorite and preferred place to stay. The have a friendly staff and excellent amenities. They also have great meeting halls and adjoining boardrooms in some of there suites.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I stayed at this brand new Holiday Inn last week on a business trip. The staff was awesome and the Hotel is beautiful. We took advantage of the free transportation to and from the airport, it could not have been any easier. The hotel also has a very nice restaurant and bar right off of the lobby area, very convieient. I will stay here whenever my travels bring me to the San Francisco area.

The rooms are really big compared to most hotels that I have stayed in and the beds are super comfy. The flat screen HD tvs (Not sure if they are plasma or LCD) make a huge difference when watching tv. Everything was great and i cannot say enough good things about this hotel...keep up the good work!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My wife and I were visiting family in San Mateo this May. Holiday Inn San Mateo was a fantastic fine. Close to the airport and 5 mins from San Mateo. The hotel staff was the best, very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and roomy, the hotel just opened so everything was brand new. The hotel is next to the highway and on the flight path for SFO but we could have heard a pin drop the rooms were so quite. Ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant daily and the staff was equally friendly and the food was very good.

We are planning another trip this year and will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jgrover51
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I stayed here within about a week of opening, and enjoyed a room that had never been used before. The rooms are very comfortable and incorporate some refreshing design elements. But I like the on site restaurant the best. The property, while located on a service road next to the busy 101, is quiet and convenient. You can't go wrong here. And the staff was excellent all around.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel
#10 of 12 in San Mateo
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn

Been to Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!