“Horrible staff”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Boston, Massachusetts
“Horrible staff”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Horrible, horrible service. The front desk people don't know what they're doing. Bad attitude and talk with accusatory tone. Virtually no management. The room itself is pretty basic. Only stay if there are no other choice. Would not pay more than $60 for a room in this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank E H
FOM_HISM, Front Office Manager at San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear E H,

I would like to apologize for our failure in service during your stay. I have sent you a private message, as I would like to speak directly with you regarding your stay. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, as it helps us to see where we still need some work. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Travis N.
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Date: 12-21-13 to 12-23-13 (2 nights) I got the hotel via Expedia. It is a nice hotel, clean, and affordable. I'd stay there again.

Good: Quite a lot of good for an inexpensive San Francisco hotel. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The breakfast is free and good. The room was clean and modern with standard amenities. The neighborhood is decent. Parking is free.

Details: I didn't want to get too far from the Cow Palace where I was working. San Francisco Airport is just a hop, skip, and a jump, so this hotel worked well for me.

Staff – They're great! I had a late check-in. In fact, it was going to be so late, I called the hotel from work to tell them I was going to be after 8pm and to make sure they saved me a room. It turns out that either Expedia or the hotel lost my reservation but the hotel was very, very helpful an assured me they'd have a room. Because the reservation was through Expedia, I had to contact them to get it straightened out. If I had been at the hotel it would have been almost a no-brainer but because I was at work, I had to actually call Expedia due to Expedia rules about the person making the reservation has to request the duplicate to be resent. The hotel staff was eager to help. They gave me the 800 number for Expedia. It was an easy fix, Expedia resent to reservation immediately. When I called the hotel back, they verified they had it and they upgraded my room. Sweet! I don't really care who messed up, I'm just glad it got fixed quickly and easily. When I finally got to the hotel that night, the clerk at the front knew who I was and was very cheerful.

Breakfast: Hot and cold foods, waffles, nice assortment of muffins and breads, cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, sausages, yogurt, cereal, milk, juice, coffee, tea, fruit. The first day the coffee was Starbucks quality, bold and rich. The second day, I think someone else made it. I drank tea instead. The food offering was the same both days. The first morning, there was a tour bus heading out and the place was jammed but the staff kept refilling everything. The place was kept clean by the staff.

Room and amenities: As I mentioned earlier, I was upgraded to a king room and wow, was there room! It was a very large room. The bed was firm (how I like it). I had a smallish table and chairs plus the bed, night stands, desk, drawers / TV stand, and the closet. The bathroom was pretty standard for an older hotel. It wasn't huge but it was large enough. It had a tub / shower, a fan, and two lights, one being one of those heat lights. The quality of towels and linens was nice, not superb, but nice. I think the hotel was bought by the Holiday Inn next door because the towels all were Holiday Inn towels. There was a moderately large new TV, a refrigerator, a microwave, a coffee maker, an ironing board and an iron.

Bad: If I had to pick something, I'd say they need to upgrade the air conditioner / heater. It's the old style mounted into the wall under the window and there's no thermostatic control. It just blows hot or cold air at whatever speed you set the fan. It's loud and I dislike those types of air handlers. It's not a deal breaker but I sure don't like them. Also, if they were to do any renovating, the bathtub fiberglass surround could use updating. It had a few cracks and was old but it was functional and clean.

Other: There are two towers. Folks say to stay in the east tower. It's further from the highway. That's the tower I was in. It was quiet. Also, I stayed on the top flour (4th) and did not have any people stomping around above me or kids running up and down the hallway. This place apparently caters to tourist buses. I don't think this is bad because tourists on buses tend to be in at a decent time and out early and very tired so they don't make a lot of noise. But they can clog up the breakfast area so wait until just after 7am to go down.

Room Tip: Like the other reviews say, ask for the east tower and go to breakfast after 7am if there is a tour...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank FromVegas
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

The last trip to San Francisco was unintentional. I had to route through it to get back home to the Atlanta area. I ended up staying overnight in a hotel, that was a horrible experience. This time we were trying to get to Tahiti on a standby ticket, but missed the connection, so again San Francisco. I was ready just in case and reviewed hotels. Based on glowing reviews from other tripadvisor folks, I decided to take my chances on this hotel.

In fact we scheduled to stay only one night, just in case.

Location- Is just next to highway 101 going into San Francisco. The distance is about 10 minutes from SFO entrance. Frim San Jose it is pretty easy to get to. However from San Fran you have to make a few turns. There is only one other hotel nearby, so it is not a social area.

Nearby-Actually from a food perspective there is not much nearby. You have to get in your car to reach any significant restaurants. But most are within a five minute drive from the hotel.

Exterior-Not a lot of plants and foliage. It is basically two white buildings and an ample parking lot. The outer appearance indicates that it is well maintained. The parking lot is lit well enough.

Interior-The lobby is small and neat. There is an area for the continental type breakfast. The buildings have all of the room doors facing a well lit hallway. I like that.

Room-The rooms was a very pleasant surprise. No, it was not fancy in anyway. But it was almost like a suite. Nice size bedroom and an outer living room with microwave and refrigerator, which was quite large. The room was 218. It was basic accommodations, but it was very clean, the furniture didn't look worn down and broken. The carpet could be upgraded for it was a little frayed, and some of the spotted chairs could use some new upholstery. There is a heater in each room and on the cool nights they warmed the room up quickly.

The queen size bed was was kind of firm. But my wife thoroughly inspected it as she always does and deemed it quite suitable. We felt it was an excellent basic hotel and extended our stay for two more nights.

Another reviewer called it a hidden gem. I would agree. For we paid about $70 a night using one of the discount websites. Other hotels in the area easily exceed $130 and my experience with one of them on a previous visit was horrendous.

Note: I did find some great prices at $99 on some high end hotels in the city. But with parking at $50+ per day. Free parking here made for a real value.

Clean, simple, basic and in a good location. Yes, this was an unexpected surprise.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lifetraveler1
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This is a great airport hotel. I stayed here since I had some business in San Francisco nearby. The hotel cost me 90$ a night and I think it was worth it. The rooms and beds were nice and modern and clean.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank HONdominik
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Juliet and Epenesa were wonderful with all my requests and went out of their way to accommodate all my needs. This is probably the best place to stay in the Peninsula with a very laid back atmosphere and Bistro right next door. Rooms are non-smoking and clean, and excellent value.

Room Tip: Ask for the deluxe building.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank fmlartey
San Francisco
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I'm not sure why the San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel hasn't gotten much better reviews. I've stayed here for the better part of a month while there's some work going on at my house, and I couldn't be happier with the rooms I've had, the service at the front desk, the free breakfast, the convenience of the restaurant next door at the Holiday Inn, and the free parking. And it's only 20 minutes from San Francisco.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends traveling who don't want to pay $350+ in San Francisco, or who want to be close to SFO for an early flight. Or for people like me who needed an extended stay at a local hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the east building if you want a quieter room, and don't go to breakfast right...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank EdK117
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 10 November 2013

While I wasn't expecting much this was still a letdown for $145 per night. Most of the electrical plugs and half the lights didn't work. There was no hot water. It's literally 50-feet from the 101 freeway - hence constant noise. When we showed up at 1pm to drop our bags they refused to hold them. We could not check in until 3pm. This should be no more than 1-star and $50 per night. What a dump.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frederick M
FOM_HISM, Front Office Manager at San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Frederick M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel. I have sent you a private message to get more details on your stay, as the level of service you received during your stay is unacceptable. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Travis N.

Bay Landing Hotel
#2 of 12 in Burlingame
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo

Been to San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!