“Best value for the money”

San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Yes, this is an old Comfort Inn, and a little shabby around the edges. But it doesn't deserve the bad reviews it has received, IMHO.

While I'd agree that it isn't worth $200 a night, I paid well south of $100, and for what I paid, it was well worth it. The front desk staff were polite and friendly, there is ample free parking, the room was clean and quiet, and the mattress was just as comfortable as one in a more expensive Hampton Inn or HI Express. Yes, the water pressure in the shower wasn't great, but the towels were far better than you'd get in a Motel 6.

If you're looking for a full service hotel/motel, this isn't your place. But if you just need a room the night before your flight out of SFO, you'd be crazy to pay twice as much at the surrounding establishments - unless you really need the extras they offer.

Room Tip: make sure you aren't on the 101 freeway side - I suspect those rooms are noiser.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank halls120
FOM_HISanMateo, Front Office Manager at San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Halls120,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel. We have been working to upgrade furniture and the linens in the guest rooms. We are looking forward to our renovations later this year which will provide an entirely different experience for our guests. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Cheers!

Rooms Division Manager

There are newer reviews for San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I found this Hotel (really a poorly repainted Motel 6 wannabe). Through Hotel Tonight. Paid over $200 including tax. Other customers reported rates much lower. There is no onsite cafe. The cafe in the adjoining hotel serves this property. Three of us at the bar ordered dinner. Two meals were not edible. Cafe did not charge for mistakes. They offered to cook something else. We refused as the bread was toasty on the outside and frozen in the middle. Shrimp uncooked and fettucini overloaded with chunks of garlic. We watched the chef in action. Would have loved to tip him for his performance. He was frantic. I would love to take the currrent staff and retrain them with ethical business practices. Our room had an intermittent flashing light on the entry light switch that disturbed my sleep. I finally covered it with tape. Coffee maker failed. Fridge was off . If you get this motel for under $80 you will get full value.

Room Tip: Look at the room first. Make sure the elevator works before you use it. Try to avoid highway side...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FredGernandt
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

My tour group brought us to the hotel. The lobby was separated from the hotel wing and we had to lug our luggages into the cramped and small hallway. Stayed at the west wing. The room was nice and clean. It has a microwave much to our relief.
The place is closed to hotel and maybe silicon valley but from tourist attraction it is quite far to go anywhere else. Other than that if you dont mind the travel its quite ok to be here. There is free wifi as well

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank durrah
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We weren't exactly thrilled to end our Priceline search with this property, but we were pleasantly surprised to find it was actually a decent value. This is one of those hotels that seems like it's been rebranded about five times over the last decade, but the staff was great to us and it's in a perfect location near the freeway. It's not going to rank as anyone's favorite hotel, but it definitely serves its purpose if you're just looking for a safe, clean place to sleep for the night.

Everything about this hotel screams average - the breakfast, the rooms, the exterior - but the staff went over and above during our stay and even went to the Holiday Inn Express next door to get change for us so we could get some laundry done on-site. Outstanding!

One big negative was the internet speed in the lobby area, which was incredibly slow. It's free, but also hardly worth using. The breakfast area isn't huge, but if you just want to grab something quick, it'll work.

There are nicer (and more expensive) hotels in the area, to be sure, but this property is a good fit for those looking for some solid sleep before an early flight or a full day at the nearby Event Center.

Room Tip: The East Wing was very quiet
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank 56waldorf

Dear 56waldorf,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel. We are excited as we have just upgraded our entire wireless internet system which will increase the speeds and usefulness of our system. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.

Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Horrible, horrible service. The front desk people don't know what they're doing. Bad attitude and talk with accusatory tone. Virtually no management. The room itself is pretty basic. Only stay if there are no other choice. Would not pay more than $60 for a room in this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank E H
FOM_HISM, Front Office Manager at San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear E H,

I would like to apologize for our failure in service during your stay. I have sent you a private message, as I would like to speak directly with you regarding your stay. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, as it helps us to see where we still need some work. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Front Office Manager

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Date: 12-21-13 to 12-23-13 (2 nights) I got the hotel via Expedia. It is a nice hotel, clean, and affordable. I'd stay there again.

Good: Quite a lot of good for an inexpensive San Francisco hotel. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The breakfast is free and good. The room was clean and modern with standard amenities. The neighborhood is decent. Parking is free.

Details: I didn't want to get too far from the Cow Palace where I was working. San Francisco Airport is just a hop, skip, and a jump, so this hotel worked well for me.

Staff – They're great! I had a late check-in. In fact, it was going to be so late, I called the hotel from work to tell them I was going to be after 8pm and to make sure they saved me a room. It turns out that either Expedia or the hotel lost my reservation but the hotel was very, very helpful an assured me they'd have a room. Because the reservation was through Expedia, I had to contact them to get it straightened out. If I had been at the hotel it would have been almost a no-brainer but because I was at work, I had to actually call Expedia due to Expedia rules about the person making the reservation has to request the duplicate to be resent. The hotel staff was eager to help. They gave me the 800 number for Expedia. It was an easy fix, Expedia resent to reservation immediately. When I called the hotel back, they verified they had it and they upgraded my room. Sweet! I don't really care who messed up, I'm just glad it got fixed quickly and easily. When I finally got to the hotel that night, the clerk at the front knew who I was and was very cheerful.

Breakfast: Hot and cold foods, waffles, nice assortment of muffins and breads, cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, sausages, yogurt, cereal, milk, juice, coffee, tea, fruit. The first day the coffee was Starbucks quality, bold and rich. The second day, I think someone else made it. I drank tea instead. The food offering was the same both days. The first morning, there was a tour bus heading out and the place was jammed but the staff kept refilling everything. The place was kept clean by the staff.

Room and amenities: As I mentioned earlier, I was upgraded to a king room and wow, was there room! It was a very large room. The bed was firm (how I like it). I had a smallish table and chairs plus the bed, night stands, desk, drawers / TV stand, and the closet. The bathroom was pretty standard for an older hotel. It wasn't huge but it was large enough. It had a tub / shower, a fan, and two lights, one being one of those heat lights. The quality of towels and linens was nice, not superb, but nice. I think the hotel was bought by the Holiday Inn next door because the towels all were Holiday Inn towels. There was a moderately large new TV, a refrigerator, a microwave, a coffee maker, an ironing board and an iron.

Bad: If I had to pick something, I'd say they need to upgrade the air conditioner / heater. It's the old style mounted into the wall under the window and there's no thermostatic control. It just blows hot or cold air at whatever speed you set the fan. It's loud and I dislike those types of air handlers. It's not a deal breaker but I sure don't like them. Also, if they were to do any renovating, the bathtub fiberglass surround could use updating. It had a few cracks and was old but it was functional and clean.

Other: There are two towers. Folks say to stay in the east tower. It's further from the highway. That's the tower I was in. It was quiet. Also, I stayed on the top flour (4th) and did not have any people stomping around above me or kids running up and down the hallway. This place apparently caters to tourist buses. I don't think this is bad because tourists on buses tend to be in at a decent time and out early and very tired so they don't make a lot of noise. But they can clog up the breakfast area so wait until just after 7am to go down.

Room Tip: Like the other reviews say, ask for the east tower and go to breakfast after 7am if there is a tour...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank FromVegas
Reviewed 25 December 2013

The last trip to San Francisco was unintentional. I had to route through it to get back home to the Atlanta area. I ended up staying overnight in a hotel, that was a horrible experience. This time we were trying to get to Tahiti on a standby ticket, but missed the connection, so again San Francisco. I was ready just in case and reviewed hotels. Based on glowing reviews from other tripadvisor folks, I decided to take my chances on this hotel.

In fact we scheduled to stay only one night, just in case.

Location- Is just next to highway 101 going into San Francisco. The distance is about 10 minutes from SFO entrance. Frim San Jose it is pretty easy to get to. However from San Fran you have to make a few turns. There is only one other hotel nearby, so it is not a social area.

Nearby-Actually from a food perspective there is not much nearby. You have to get in your car to reach any significant restaurants. But most are within a five minute drive from the hotel.

Exterior-Not a lot of plants and foliage. It is basically two white buildings and an ample parking lot. The outer appearance indicates that it is well maintained. The parking lot is lit well enough.

Interior-The lobby is small and neat. There is an area for the continental type breakfast. The buildings have all of the room doors facing a well lit hallway. I like that.

Room-The rooms was a very pleasant surprise. No, it was not fancy in anyway. But it was almost like a suite. Nice size bedroom and an outer living room with microwave and refrigerator, which was quite large. The room was 218. It was basic accommodations, but it was very clean, the furniture didn't look worn down and broken. The carpet could be upgraded for it was a little frayed, and some of the spotted chairs could use some new upholstery. There is a heater in each room and on the cool nights they warmed the room up quickly.

The queen size bed was was kind of firm. But my wife thoroughly inspected it as she always does and deemed it quite suitable. We felt it was an excellent basic hotel and extended our stay for two more nights.

Another reviewer called it a hidden gem. I would agree. For we paid about $70 a night using one of the discount websites. Other hotels in the area easily exceed $130 and my experience with one of them on a previous visit was horrendous.

Note: I did find some great prices at $99 on some high end hotels in the city. But with parking at $50+ per day. Free parking here made for a real value.

Clean, simple, basic and in a good location. Yes, this was an unexpected surprise.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 12 in Burlingame
Red Roof PLUS+ San Francisco Airport
Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport
Howard Johnson Express San Mateo

Been to San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!