“Not for anything other than if you're in a pinch”

San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I chose this hotel for the price and convenient location to my destination. There were good reviews and the photos made it look nicer than it is. Really I don't think it is nearly as nice as the photos make it look. An dthe reviews are way too nice. Yes they give you wifi but the connection is SO slow. The door to the room has gaps even when closed but at least the deadbolt locks. I reserved a 1 Queen bedroom and got 2 but the second bed was so warped it us unusable. I laughed out loud when i saw it. The carpet and furniture are old and the furniture is scuffed up pretty bad. The bathroom is clean at least. The sheets are also clean. I can tell because they smell heavy of bleach. But the room itself smells a bit musty. Probably was once a smoking room. East interstate access though, I won't stay here again even at the price because it's worth to me to get a bit nicer place when traveling on business. Maybe they gave me a dud because i booked on expedia. more like a roadway inn than a "classic" hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jennifer S

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I feel this hotel gets too many negative reviews!! I wanted to set the record straight and write a positive review!! Hotel is clean, comfy beds, delicious large breakfast, friendly staff and great location. Carpet is a little dated but other than that it is great!! Will recommend to friends and family!!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I flew into SFO late at night and stayed at the San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel. The airport shuttle was small and the driver was stressed because there were many people to pick up late in the evening. The shuttle barely fit my two travel companions and me along with our luggage and a bike box.

Got a good sleep at the hotel. The rooms were basic but fair enough for the price that we paid for it. The free breakfast the following morning was a bit disappointing since we are vegetarian and they did not have a listing of ingredients for many of the foods they were serving such as the breads and baked goods which often contain animal based mono and diglycerides.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Christina B
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I rented this hotel because of the price and location. I had a 7:30 am flight from SFO and selected this hotel for the proximity to airport. I would not stay here as a vacation stay, only as an overnight stay. Mind you, the room was clean and neat - not luxurious in the least. It gave you all the basics. No more. Would I stay here again? Not sure. If other better option for the money was available I would take it.

They offered airport pickup, which I did not use. Breakfast, as well, which I didn't use.

OK for price

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Definitely NOT worth the $. Rooms are very small, their "QUEEN" size beds are actually only Doubles. The TV is in a very awkward spot in the room, so you have to either have your head turned to the left the entire time you watch it or you have to sit up. The breakfast was cold. They didn't have coffee made until 7am which my husband did not appreciate. The parking lot is horrible. The staff however was nice! I guess I expected more comfort for the cost. Motel 6 is a better then this place. The bathtub had a gash in it, the water pressure in the shower was almost nil. The air conditioning is a dinosaur unit thats either way to loud, if you actually want air, or does not put any air out if its on low.

Room Tip: Stay else where if you want a bed larger then a double. They state the beds are queens but they'...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Solidly average hotel. Don't go expecting high end. Every bit a 2 star hotel but for a fair price near the hotel with free parking this property is hard to beat. Yes a renovation is needed but for the price one will pay nothing much to worry about. Rooms are not super quiet but I didn't think the close freeway was a problem.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2014

When the wait for the hotel shuttle takes longer than the flight to San Francisco you know it's going to be a bad experience. We were not disappointed as the 2 hour wait for a shuttle was matched by the constant lying by the staff thar the shuttle was minutes away.

We gave up and took a taxi to the hotel. Then to be told that the shuttle had crashed on the freeway and that they did not even have their own bus but a shared shuttle.

We retire to the room which was dirty but we are to tired to care. The hair dyer did not work but wet hair won't kill anyone especially when you just want to flush your hotel experience out of your mind. A hot shower always helps - oh not at this hotel with no water pressure and the shower head spraying out at 90 degrees with a leak soaking the bathroom.

No matter let's leave for the next flight. Oh we can't leave .... we are then told that as we did not book a shuttle we have no room for you. The US Airways crews were getting taxis and some learned souls had a seat on the 5 seat shuttle. 5 seats on a shuttle you need to reserve. Brilliant concept for an airport hotel. Of course no employee told us that we need to reserve a seat.

In the days of amazing customer hotel service this third world hotel should be shuttered and the staff banished to the unemployment lines. They are clueless about honesty to a customer or what service entails.

Avoid this hotel at all costs, better to sleep on the floor at SFO than waste your time expecting a quality stay.

Room Tip: Sleep on floor at airport if you must than risk this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Los Prados Hotel
#10 of 12 in San Mateo
Howard Johnson Express San Mateo
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO

Been to San Mateo SFO Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!