“Great Burgers and nice Rooms”

Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
San Francisco
“Great Burgers and nice Rooms”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

This is a local hotel near to my office that we always put up visiting corporate guests in. I normally grab a great Mobely burger for lunch there--truly an excellent large juicy burger in a place that you would not even think twice about trying one.

So this was a nice change to stay there for a corporate event and experience the very nicely appointed rooms here. Comfortable bed and a fairly quiet location, not close to any freeways or heavy traffic. The comforters they have are too heavy and they will provide a lighter blanket on request.

Enjoyed the flat screen HDTV, the free wireless, in room microwave and empty mini-fridge (not like the ones filled with bar items). And it's apparent that the Hilton recognizes that business travelers need outlets for everything from laptops to chargers, and it is nice to see outlet extensions on each lamp provided, not only on the roomy desk (with a modern desk chair), but next to the bed stands.

They really treat you right and I was happy to stay here. I'd recommend this place again. A great bargain, if you have a corporate rate.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TanTien

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I usually stay at the Hilton chain hotels because they are reasonably priced and I always enjoy my stay. This time, I had issues with the front desk. There were a couple of people who were working the front desk that had a "In-Training" label on their name tag. I understand that they may be new hires but the seasoned hotel staff should at least supervise or shadow the trainees to make sure they do things right the first time.

Upon check in, the woman ran my credit card twice, putting a hold on my card twice for two seperate amounts and for amounts larger than my actual room charge for the entire weekend.
I found this very annoying and frustrating. The other issue was that my room key worked when it wanted to. Two seperate times I had to go to the front desk and have them reactivate my room key.The front desk said that perhaps my room key touched my cell phone and it deactivated it.

When confronting both issues, no one took ownership or apologized for the inconvinience. There was just awkward silence and stares between the two front desk staff members. I will never stay at the San Mateo location again. I will continue to stay at the SFO location like I usually do when I am in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rose M
dghudson, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Dear Rose M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry you experienced an undesirable stay and level of customer service with us. The problems you mentioned with the level of service you received from our front desk staff have been addressed today by me personally. In particular, I agree that an apology and ownership of a problem are very important and I will be emphasizing that at our next department meeting.

I appreciate you alerting us to this issue and hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area. Please feel free to contact me directly to book your next reservation.

Derek Hudson
(650) 356-6107
Derek.Hudson@Hilton.com
Kennett Square
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Stayed here at the end of a weeklong trip to San Francisco prior to flying home. The hotel is immaculately clean and the staff could not be any friendlier. Such a good experience that we will likely stay here for the entire trip next time we visit the area.

It's convenient to the airport as well as highways and public transportation in and out of the area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
San Antonio
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Chose this hotel for location, and what a great location it is. With shopping and entertainment just around the corner, and great dining options only a short drive away, this property has it all. The staff is very professional and extremely friendly. Never encounter a single person with the hotel that didn't have a smile on their face regardless of the time of day. The rooms are spacious and very clean and well organized for short or extended visits. The Hilton beds assure you of a good night's sleep. The breakfast option is a good one to start your day with, and includes fresh made waffles, a wide selection of fruits and pasties, and custom made omelets. There is plenty of free surface parking and a busines center. If you looking for a quite place to stay when visiting San Francisco or the South Bay, this San Mateo location will meet your every need for rest and relaxation from the crowds and traffic.

Kingston, New York
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Stayed 4 nights at this hotel and truly enjoyed our stay. Room were very clean, the beds comfortable, and the rooms were equipped with a microwave, refrigerator, and coffeemaker. This hotel has a washer/dryer on premise to do laundry while on the road, both of which I used. They were also very clean and in good running condition. This hotel offers a shuttle service. My husband and I used the shuttle to pick up the BART train at the airport to go to/from San Francisco (about a 25-30 minute ride) instead of driving. Note that parking in San Francisco is pricey, so the train is a viable option. A roundtrip train ticket cost $16.50. The hotel shuttle runs until 10:00 p.m., so you have to plan your return to be back at the airport by 10:00. That was the only downside about taking the train into San Francisco. However, we found that we were more than ready to return by 8:00 or so after sightseeing all day. The trains run frequently, so there's never much of a wait.

This hotel offers free Starbucks coffee and does have a restaurant. We didn't use the restaurant, but the food looked good. All in all it was a good stay and I would recommend as an alternative to staying right in San Franciso where the prices for rooms seems a bit inflated.

2 Thank beverlydeg
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed one night as we were catching s flight out of SFO in the morning. Clean and quiet room. Receptionists were warm and friendly. Free Starbucks coffee in the morning was nice, as were the chocolates as we checked in. We didn't do the breakfast which looked like it would have been a good deal. We went to Mimi's and had a nice breakfast. Price was about the same as having eaten at the hotel, but nicer atmosphere than the lobby.

Corona, California
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We picked this hotel because it was not too far from San Francisco International Airport where we were flying in from Long Beach, CA for our visit to San Francisco. The hotel was nice and clean. Staff were nice and professional and polite. Rooms were clean and spacious. I like the fact that the room had a microwave, refrigerator and a coffee maker and the bathroom had a hair dryer. It felt like home away from home. The hotel was conveniently located close to shops and restaurants. The area around the hotel felt safe and upscale. TV had HBO which was nice becasue we got to watch a nice movie every night after our tour of San Francisco. San Mateo was only 15 minutes drive to San Francisco.

1 Thank LO C
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Courtyard San Mateo Foster City
Hilton San Francisco Airport Bayfront

Been to Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo? Share your experiences!